2023 Recruiting: - Jayden Ross to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Jayden Ross to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why are you puzzled?

If he can truly graduate and then reclass, I think that would be more productive here than going and prepping somehwere. I was hoping we would get to see the fruits of that with Corey Floyd, but hopefully Alex proves that a year here developing is worth more than a prep school like IMG.

Reaction Score
They could have as many as 8 spots open for next season- probably won’t but could. You absolutely take a chance on a guy who loves UConn, who sees the big picture (future recruits see the ones who have committed and want to know how they’ll fit), and who the coaches like. There’s good and bad reasons for guys being under the radar. Jayden has all the ones you want- crazy growth spurt, bad team, injury/missed season. He’ll prep somewhere better and get feedback from his current and future coaches, and he’s a Team Melo guy. It’s not that hard to figure out, unless your trying to be a jerk. Big day for him. Now, time to go from 9 to 5 to 1.
Coleman seemed like another guy who loved UConn. Any idea what is going on there?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If he can truly graduate and then reclass, I think that would be more productive here than going and prepping somehwere. I was hoping we would get to see the fruits of that with Corey Floyd, but hopefully Alex proves that a year here developing is worth more than a prep school like IMG.

I don’t think it much matters - he’s not going to see any time on the court here this year.

Let him stay in high school or wherever for another year and grow into his frame before starting his eligibility clock.

Besides, I am very keen to avoid the Cory Floyd route.

Reaction Score
Valid point on me being a . I am working on it. Also, I didnt say anything untrue, I am sure the Temple and George Mason fans are upset on losing out on Jayden. There is nothing false there.

Comparing Jayden to Ochai and Christian is tough. First Bill Self has a history of finding under the radar guys and helping them get drafted, Svi, Frank Mason, Devonte etc. Christian was a three time state champ and helped Mokan win the Peach Jam. Ochai averaged 33 a game his senior year. They had offers from Oregan, Oklahoma, Texas A&M,Creighton, Illionis, Wisconsin etc. They also committed way later in the process, so Jayden is more unknown. I truly hope it works out.
I kind of get the point you’re trying to make here. But timing is really poor & inaccurate. (Specifically after we back to back years of having a sub 65 kid get drafted in the lotto, a kid who stretched himself into a uri scholly become the only kid from the BE drafted, a Howard kid be first team big East, etc.)

Svi wasn’t an under radar kid, but more a highly sought foreign kid. Frank was a top 100 kid & they’ve had too many Devonte’s to know which one you’re referring to.

To play devils advocate, Self has also “failed” more 1&done 5 star kids than DH has even got his hands on. Hope it works out too, but I think we’ve had a lot of success in the player development area. If you wanted to critique in game coaching, you would prob have more support

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I have been sour lately. I am working on it. I just am more critical of Hurley than most on here. That is a discussion for another thread, so I wont get into here. But I appreciate that you remember some of my positive aspects. I will try and keep it to those here.
Hey man I had some problems with that recently too. I think it’s about picking your spots when you want to be critical, cause I agree that sometimes people here carry Hurleys water a little too far, but like you said before, a kids commitment or recruiting threads is probably the wrong place. Didn’t mean to pile on.

Reaction Score
No one cares if anyone likes Hurley or not. It’s not that serious.

Posting on a kid’s thread “don’t be disappointed if he commits” over and over has nothing to do with some nuanced position on a coach.

Staffs used to have to think of each spot as pretty much a four year commitment, but now there is way more flexibility and movement, whether we like it or not. Those spots are not the valued resource they once were. I count 7 guys on this season’s roster that may not be there the following. There’s room to play around and take chances with absolutely no risk involved. He’s not taking the spot of any of their other targets, it’s just one piece.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
100%. Didn’t seem to have any unrealistic expectations or anything either. Couple things that stood out.
1) He has family up in the area & some alumni from the school
2) Late riser with a lot of untapped potential
3) part of the “lower” ranking sounds like it has to do with his highest growth spurt & being a late riser. Sub 5’10 freshmen year, pushing 6’6 ish now.
Isn't this the same thing that happened with Andre Jackson? Started off as a point guard and grew up to 6-7 wing with playmaking ability? Sounds like a great kid who has a heart for the demands of playing for the good guys. Welcome Jayden!!!

Reaction Score
I kind of get the point you’re trying to make here. But timing is really poor & inaccurate. (Specifically after we back to back years of having a sub 65 kid get drafted in the lotto
What???

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
“When I join the team in the 2023-24 season, I believe I’ll immediately add length, shooting and a good part of the offense as well as defense,” Ross said. “I also believe I’ll be a good overall teammate, and I’m willing to sacrifice to do whatever I need to do for the benefit of the team. As I develop more and more over my time at UConn, I think I will be a great scoring option and playmaker.”

Alternate free link:

Four-star forward Jayden Ross commits to UConn men’s basketball team

Love this recruitment. Hurley realizing 3 star kids with development potential who really want to be at UConn need to be on the radar. This seems like a really good kid who can become a major contributor down the road. Less likely to transfer out.

Reaction Score
What???
It was very poorly written, but I'm sure you know what he meant.

"Specifically after we back to back years of having a sub 65 kid get drafted in the lotto, a kid who stretched himself into a uri scholly become the only kid from the BE drafted, a Howard kid be first team big East, etc."

Back-to-back years in question:
Year 1: Formerly sub-65 ranked kid becomes lottery pick
Year 2: Transfer from URI player gets drafter and transfer from Howard makes first team Big East

Reaction Score
No one cares if anyone likes Hurley or not. It’s not that serious.

Posting on a kid’s thread “don’t be disappointed if he commits” over and over has nothing to do with some nuanced position on a coach.

Staffs used to have to think of each spot as pretty much a four year commitment, but now there is way more flexibility and movement, whether we like it or not. Those spots are not the valued resource they once were. I count 7 guys on this season’s roster that may not be there the following. There’s room to play around and take chances with absolutely no risk involved. He’s not taking the spot of any of their other targets, it’s just one piece.

Do you know how much the staff anticipates using the transfer market? This time 10 years ago, I'd be a little bit nervous about not being more seriously connected with recruits. Now, we could have open spots in March, and we're going to be fine. The landscape has changed so much.

Reaction Score
I’m sure the ranking won’t matter at the end of the day but just curious, is he 3* or 4*? I see both mentioned in this thread. All the rankings I see have him in the 130 range.

Reaction Score
I’m sure the ranking won’t matter at the end of the day but just curious, is he 3* or 4*? I see both mentioned in this thread. All the rankings I see have him in the 130 range.

Consensus 3*. 4* in one place, I believe.

Reaction Score
Depends where you look, ESPN has him as a 4* somewhere outside the top 100 which is where that ranking is coming from

Reaction Score
Isn't this the same thing that happened with Andre Jackson? Started off as a point guard and grew up to 6-7 wing with playmaking ability? Sounds like a great kid who has a heart for the demands of playing for the good guys. Welcome Jayden!!!
And I see a decent similarity between him and AJax in terms of body frame, movement, and versatility. He looks like a better shooter with less hops and foot speed (but then again who doesnt?). It's going to be really interesting to see his continued development.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Love this recruitment. Hurley realizing 3 star kids with development potential who really want to be at UConn need to be on the radar. This seems like a really good kid who can become a major contributor down the road. Less likely to transfer out.

Here’s the thing….it’s June.

If they’re taking him now, they see “something.”

Transfers are kinda known quantities. You can like or not like a transfer based on what you’ve seen with your own eyes. With a high school junior….eh, there’s nothing to go on outside of a few YouTube clips. You kinda gotta default to having faith.

Reaction Score
You absolutely take a chance on a guy who loves UConn, who sees the big picture (future recruits see the ones who have committed and want to know how they’ll fit), and who the coaches like.
does staff not like coleman?? why hasnt he even been offered yet?!

Reaction Score
It was very poorly written, but I'm sure you know what he meant.

"Specifically after we back to back years of having a sub 65 kid get drafted in the lotto, a kid who stretched himself into a uri scholly become the only kid from the BE drafted, a Howard kid be first team big East, etc."

Back-to-back years in question:
Year 1: Formerly sub-65 ranked kid becomes lottery pick
Year 2: Transfer from URI player gets drafter and transfer from Howard makes first team Big East
What he said^^^

I was drunk lol. Wish I could lock boneyard after midnight.

Reaction Score
Sounds like the level of recruit KO was bringing in late in his run. The good news is when you bring in lower rated recruits, you don't have to worry about losing them to schools with deep NIL pockets later. Serious question, excluding transfers, who was the most successful sub-100 recruit in the program's recent history? That would be interesting to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom