I've never seen a team more overmatched. At any level. Ever. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I've never seen a team more overmatched. At any level. Ever.

Reaction Score
The seminal moment, the inflection point on when the program went entirely into the trashcan, was Randy leaving.

That act completely doomed the program forever.

And they brought him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the seminal point that destroys your program is a coach leaving after the end of a season at a time when he was one of the longer tenured coaches in the country, that's on your program -- not the coach.

Edsall didn't owe us staying forever. The people above him had the ability to keep this going, and they failed with two straight hires.

C

Chief00

Chief, we've gone over this, unless you think Suzy could somehow charm DeFilipp0 into not want BCU to "be the only New England school" none of this matters.

"We didn't want them in,'' DeFilippo told the Globe. It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.''
Is that why Shalala wouldn’t return Herbst’s calls?

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sigh, let's look at UConn's shots at expansion one at a time:

1. For the Cuse and Pitt addition to the ACC the prime factor was ESPN's desire to destabilize the Old Big East and shore up a then shaky ACC. The original targets were Syracuse and UConn. BC was on the expansion committee and, effectively, black balled UConn because the (BC) wanted to be the only New England team in the ACC. That's documented. Defilippo bragged about it to Blauds while he was at the Boston Globe. It should be noted that Pitt was a plaintiff in the Big East suit with UConn.

2. For the Rutgers addition to the Big 10, RU was simply a better choice. It gave them entry to the NYC DMA (which would have as well) but NJ 9M people are more than CT's 3M. Add to that that RU was AAU and contiguous with PA and it becomes a clear choice.
We know that there are no lawsuit bad feelings here because, no one in the B1G was sued.

3. For the Louisville to the ACC, it is well documented that FSU resented the extent of Tobacco Road's sway in conference. The last addition was, in its view, basketball centered and it made it clear that the failure to go with a strong football school would make FSU consider leaving the conference. Clemson and our old friends BC backed this play. The rest of the conference prudently went along. Now here I feel like Warde and Herbst had a puncher's chance to change minds but they would have had to flown back to the States and worked their butts off. Would it have worked? Unlikely, but possible. Here, Herbst's relationships may have cost her but not in the way some people think. She relied on a Duke connection, who gave her the Tobacco Road view that UConn would be in. It end up being wrong because FSU's power play wasn't expected.

4. The Big 12 expansion probably failed with with the BYU homosexual policy scandal (d0n't ask, don't hold hands.) They were the big football school in that expansion. Once they became tainted, expansion was less attractive. That said under the Big 12 contract they could have added 2-4 schools and were guaranteed a media boost. (Methinks ESPN quietly reminded them of what happened to the Big East when they crossed ESPN. I say that tongue in cheek... sort of.)​

None of those needed Herbst's lack of social skills or people being butt hurt about the lawsuit for UConn to be eliminated.

Reaction Score
Sigh, let's look at UConn's shots at expansion one at a time:

1. For the Cuse and Pitt addition to the ACC the prime factor was ESPN's desire to destabilize the Old Big East and shore up a then shaky ACC. The original targets were Syracuse and UConn. BC was on the expansion committee and, effectively, black balled UConn because the (BC) wanted to be the only New England team in the ACC. That's documented. Defilippo bragged about it to Blauds while he was at the Boston Globe. It should be noted that Pitt was a plaintiff in the Big East suit with UConn.

2. For the Rutgers addition to the Big 10, RU was simply a better choice. It gave them entry to the NYC DMA (which would have as well) but NJ 9M people are more than CT's 3M. Add to that that RU was AAU and contiguous with PA and it becomes a clear choice.
We know that there are no lawsuit bad feelings here because, no one in the B1G was sued.

3. For the Louisville to the ACC, it is well documented that FSU resented the extent of Tobacco Road's sway in conference. The last addition was, in its view, basketball centered and it made it clear that the failure to go with a strong football school would make FSU consider leaving the conference. Clemson and our old friends BC backed this play. The rest of the conference prudently went along. Now here I feel like Warde and Herbst had a puncher's chance to change minds but they would have had to flown back to the States and worked their butts off. Would it have worked? Unlikely, but possible. Here, Herbst's relationships may have cost her but not in the way some people think. She relied on a Duke connection, who gave her the Tobacco Road view that UConn would be in. It end up being wrong because FSU's power play wasn't expected.

4. The Big 12 expansion probably failed with with the BYU homosexual policy scandal (d0n't ask, don't hold hands.) They were the big football school in that expansion. Once they became tainted, expansion was less attractive. That said under the Big 12 contract they could have added 2-4 schools and were guaranteed a media boost. (Methinks ESPN quietly reminded them of what happened to the Big East when they crossed ESPN. I say that tongue in cheek... sort of.)​

None of those needed Herbst's lack of social skills or people being butt hurt about the lawsuit for UConn to be eliminated.

It's easy to blame BC because of the comments made....but BC didn't really have any pull....but FSU, Clemson, GT, Miami, and VT in concert, did. Particularly so when there was a threat of some football scholls breaking away.

Reaction Score
Why does everyone forget herbsts brother is vp of Broadcasting and global marketing strategy for Nascar.

Literally has an expert in the family.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why does everyone forget herbsts brother is vp of Broadcasting and global marketing strategy for Nascar.

Literally has an expert in the family.

Oh the only sports organization that has fallen as far and quickly as UConn football.

Is this a Butch burner?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's easy to blame BC because of the comments made....but BC didn't really have any pull....but FSU, Clemson, GT, Miami, and VT in concert, did. Particularly so when there was a threat of some football scholls breaking away.
Reread my post, are think you confusing #1 with #3. For #3 I fully agree it was FSU power play that put Louisville in place of UConn.

Reaction Score
Why does everyone forget herbsts brother is vp of Broadcasting and global marketing strategy for Nascar. Literally has an expert in the family.
Not so sure Susie's relationships truly matter nor help at this point for UConn athletics, but you're almost correct. However, I think the NASCAR SVP for broadcasting and production, Steve Herbst, is her brother. Not Brian Herbst, a NASCAR VP of global media strategy and distribution who directly reports to Steve Herbst. Coincidences, or perhaps nepotism may not matter so much in NASCAR land as it does to CT's Ethic Commission appointees with underpaid assistant coaches. ;)

Reaction Score
Oh the only sports organization that has fallen as far and quickly as UConn football.

Is this a Butch burner?

People learn from failure. It's actually how business is taught now.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Well I’m pretty sure UConn and NASCAR are Magna Cum Laude then.

NASCAR has been completely mismanaged. Granted I got into the game later than most (early 2000s), but they gone too far away from their core audience and geographic centers and changing their rules/playoffs every few years doesn't help either.

At one point I believe NASCAR was the fastest growing game in town, but they alienated the core fans that had supported them before they super popular and once the luster wore off for the "new fans" and some bad decisions were made, they haven't been able to get the original fans fully back.

Sound familiar?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
...NEVER going to build a stadium in Connecticut, and all of this Kabuki theater over the negotiations was nothing more than leveraging the State of MA. to get what he wanted in Foxboro.

Except Kraft never ended getting what he wanted in Foxboro. They bailed because Rowland blew it. And lost the Whalers, too.

Reaction Score
I give Herbst a bunch of credit for forcing Hathaway out.
I would have rather had Jeff around than Warde when Louisville to the ACC happened, or SU/Pitt as well instead of Pendergast.

Reaction Score
I would have rather had Jeff around than Warde when Louisville to the ACC happened, or SU/Pitt as well instead of Pendergast.

Why? Jeff was so impotent. He literally was the most useless AD ever. He didn’t raise any money, didn’t get anything done. He was an incompetent caretaker.

Reaction Score
Why? Jeff was so impotent. He literally was the most useless AD ever. He didn’t raise any money, didn’t get anything done. He was an incompetent caretaker.
In my mind at least, he was part of the BCS AD good old boy net work. Pendergast was lost, and Warde too green when those things went down.

Reaction Score

Jeff should have spent 7 years planning and positioning UConn for the next round of conference realignment after the first ACC raid. He did nothing. He is still the most responsible party, by a wide margin, for our current conference predicament.

Reaction Score
In my mind at least, he was part of the BCS AD good old boy net work. Pendergast was lost, and Warde too green when those things went down.

He might have been their bitch boy.

Reaction Score
He might have been their bitch boy.

If he had any idea about realignment, he likely would have informed the administration. The fact that they hired a non-connected fundraising guy as the interim AD is proof that he hadn’t told them anything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn tried the hardest to keep the Big East together. Everyone involved for the last 20 years has been lost.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom