I've never seen a team more overmatched. At any level. Ever. | The Boneyard

I've never seen a team more overmatched. At any level. Ever.

Reaction Score
The score will not do it justice. If Boise wanted to win 100-0, they could.

It's not the kids fault. You can't even pin it on coaching (though they haven't helped). This is the the result of an institution completely squandering its signature investment through close to a decade's worth of bad decisions.

Pasaqualoni did a lot of harm. Warde did some harm. Ollie has his share of skeletons in the closet. Benedict has made some huge mistakes. Diaco did everything he could to finish it all off.

There's one common denominator and that's the person running the school. Don't tell me sports don't matter when we all know everything is ultimately about money. All of this is an embarrassment. It's an embarrassment to have had an FCS quality football program since she took over. It's an embarrassment to send a bunch of teenagers out to Idaho to lose by 100 to grown men in front of a national audience. It's embarrassing to have reports of your old basketball coach offering $30,000 to the mother of a recruit because you needed a leech to get out of another horrible contract your AD OK'd.

People need to wake up. I have all the patience in the world for a bad team. I'll watch them at 0-2, 0-9, whatever. It's another thing when the people who make the big money are never held responsible. You don't get to lecture people about academics and NCAA rules when they're making the money that you're then getting credit for spending. You sure as hell don't get to self-report petty violations to get out of a contract that you can't pay because your football program is a national laughing stock.

I'm embarrassed to even be associated with this school at this point. That might not have much to do with this football game, but maybe it's a time where people will be less willing to tolerate pro-establishment BS. It takes more than a player or a coach or an AD to destroy one of the most decorated athletic departments in the country. It takes a president that doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

Reaction Score
Shes leaving. What else you want in that end?

I've been pretty critical of her about the CR realignment stuff, but it's over

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The seminal moment, the inflection point on when the program went entirely into the trashcan, was Randy leaving.

That act completely doomed the program forever.

And they brought him back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I never want to hear about the difference between CEO $$$ pay and worker pay again. Would we have paid AD’s 5x more to avoid this mess?

Inflection point. No Football Stadium on campus. Thanks Rowland.

Reaction Score
I 100% agree. I have been saying this for years. Herbst has got a free pass for some reason and has been paid very well to oversee the destruction of our once proud franchise. QUOTE="champs99and04, post: 2838300, member: 488"]The score will not do it justice. If Boise wanted to win 100-0, they could.

It's not the kids fault. You can't even pin it on coaching (though they haven't helped). This is the the result of an institution completely squandering its signature investment through close to a decade's worth of bad decisions.

Pasaqualoni did a lot of harm. Warde did some harm. Ollie has his share of skeletons in the closet. Benedict has made some huge mistakes. Diaco did everything he could to finish it all off.

There's one common denominator and that's the person running the school. Don't tell me sports don't matter when we all know everything is ultimately about money. All of this is an embarrassment. It's an embarrassment to have had an FCS quality football program since she took over. It's an embarrassment to send a bunch of teenagers out to Idaho to lose by 100 to grown men in front of a national audience. It's embarrassing to have reports of your old basketball coach offering $30,000 to the mother of a recruit because you needed a leech to get out of another horrible contract your AD OK'd.

People need to wake up. I have all the patience in the world for a bad team. I'll watch them at 0-2, 0-9, whatever. It's another thing when the people who make the big money are never held responsible. You don't get to lecture people about academics and NCAA rules when they're making the money that you're then getting credit for spending. You sure as hell don't get to self-report petty violations to get out of a contract that you can't pay because your football program is a national laughing stock.

I'm embarrassed to even be associated with this school at this point. That might not have much to do with this football game, but maybe it's a time where people will be less willing to tolerate pro-establishment BS. It takes more than a player or a coach or an AD to destroy one of the most decorated athletic departments in the country. It takes a president that doesn't know what the hell they're doing.[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
I never want to hear about the difference between CEO $$$ pay and worker pay again. Would we have paid AD’s 5x more to avoid this mess?

Pretty sure ratio is whatever the AD makes divided by the worker who makes 0. I don’t think that computes..

C

Chief00

I'm embarrassed to even be associated with this school at this point. That might not have much to do with this football game, but maybe it's a time where people will be less willing to tolerate pro-establishment BS. It takes more than a player or a coach or an AD to destroy one of the most decorated athletic departments in the country. It takes a president that doesn't know what the hell they're doing.

No argument the President has been a drag on success.

Reaction Score

Although I agree, in part with your post, you miss a number of others who were partly to blame. 1: the voters of Mansfield, CT. A majority of those residents, especially those in Storrs, wanted no part of on campus facility, for a number of reasons. Reasons too numerous to mention here. 2: Robert Kraft, of the New England Patriots. Why him, you ask? Kraft used the state of Connecticut, and Rowland, to get the special deals from MA. lawmakers for his stadium in Foxboro. 3: State Politicians of CT. Most of them wanted a new stadium in a urban environment, i.e. Hartford. A stadium in a rural setting would mean millions of infrastructure improvements, would have to be spent for access to the on campus facility, while a stadium close to a highway system, i.e I-84 & I-91, would bring in spectators. Forget the fact that you need a decent product to bring in the fans, though.
Nope, although John Rowland is the face of the debacle, there were many other people who played a role in this entire nightmare.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I dare you to find a state with worse leadership at all levels than Connecticut. Sadly, it was only a matter of time before the state's crown jewel UConn athletics went to hell as well.

Is fracking water getting into your wells? Does your state government still control the inventory, locations and management of your liquor stores, suppressing trade and entrepreneurism? Does your political system enourage tiny fiefdoms having their own police/fire/schools/taxes instead of consolidating for taxpayer relief? Does the flyover portion of your state suck up a significantly higher percentage of revenues than what they produce in taxes/GDP and any other measurable outcome?

PA says "hold my (artificially high priced) beer..."

..that is, of course, unless the School hires another libturd

fdr-martini.png

Reaction Score
Although I agree, in part with your post, you miss a number of others who were partly to blame. 1: the voters of Mansfield, CT. A majority of those residents, especially those in Storrs, wanted no part of on campus facility, for a number of reasons. Reasons too numerous to mention here. 2: Robert Kraft, of the New England Patriots. Why him, you ask? Kraft used the state of Connecticut, and Rowland, to get the special deals from MA. lawmakers for his stadium in Foxboro. 3: State Politicians of CT. Most of them wanted a new stadium in a urban environment, i.e. Hartford. A stadium in a rural setting would mean millions of infrastructure improvements, would have to be spent for access to the on campus facility, while a stadium close to a highway system, i.e I-84 & I-91, would bring in spectators. Forget the fact that you need a decent product to bring in the fans, though.
Nope, although John Rowland is the face of the debacle, there were many other people who played a role in this entire nightmare.

Rowland? He did nothing except support the program. How about Diaco? How about Hathaway? Good grief.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score

I'm embarrassed to even be associated with this school at this point.
OK. This is easy. Scrape the sticker(s) off your car, burn your jerseys and hats, and walk away. This ain't basketball, Buddy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Connecticut is not a football paradise. Friday Night Football (HS) is not a thing. CT doesn't have, never had, never will have the culture to support a strong football program with all the 1940s/1950s era machismo required by top P5 teams, nor will New England in general.

You, 1000 ADs and Cheeto in Charge aren't changing that unless you use your CVS and Walgreens dividends to pay for some under the table personal services contracts.

Now go get your house slaves some fresh water.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rowland? He did nothing except support the program. How about Diaco? How about Hathaway? Good grief.
My point, Palantine, was that some people blamed Rowland, but in a sense, he was not the blame. He was just the Governor. My explanation may have been misunderstood. I don't blame Rowland, yet, since he was the Guv, he takes a lot of the flak. Although, you have to admit, he did get schooled by Robert Kraft, over the stadium deal, although, Rowland got NO help from the politicians in the city of Hartford. If the land had been available, where the original stadium was supposed to have been built, and there wasn't going to be a protracted court/lawsuit cases over that land, maybe....................just MAYBE things may have been different. HOWEVER, I feel that Robert Kraft, and the Patriots were never...................NEVER going to build a stadium in Connecticut, and all of this Kabuki theater over the negotiations was nothing more than leveraging the State of MA. to get what he wanted in Foxboro.

Reaction Score

Much of the above is right-on...but there’s plenty of blame to go around starting with CT politics straight thru to faulty UC administrative decisions —witnessed over and over again. Hathaway proved no be a terrible, out-of-touch AD ( and should never have held that position). His choice of PP and ( like many of us) his being totally oblivious to Randy’s sudden bolting for his “dream job”, was an early-on impetus toward sending us on a downward spiral. Blumenthal’s early-on misguided lawsuit against BC contributed toward keeping us out of the ACC. The “rock star” AD seemed to have been sleeping at the wheel ( true or untrue) when Louisville was able to best us in gaining an invitation to the ACC. The hiring of Diaco during the AD-to-AD transition period proved a unmitigated disaster. Benedict not living -up to perceived, or real, expectations ( at least thus far) has been a lingering disappointment. Through it all, as already has been said, it’s difficult to leave the University’s President out of the mix ....She was in on many of these missteps and poor decisions. Should she have had the expertise to have made a more positive difference during her tenure years, who can rightfully and fairly say? There’s no dispute, however, that she was at the helm and no matter how well intended, failed to point us in the right direction. What hurts the most is our past athletic successes and the great national reputation we’ve gained thru past athletic exploits. To see all that crumble due to a lack of administrative leadership and decision- making truly stings! Will I continue to support football, as well as all other UConn sports, you can bet on it!! How long we’ll be in this football/ men’s basketball downward spiral is anyone’s guess, but , for sure, we will turn this around...hopefully, for me, during my lifetime!!

Reaction Score
My point, Palantine, was that some people blamed Rowland, but in a sense, he was not the blame. He was just the Governor. My explanation may have been misunderstood. I don't blame Rowland, yet, since he was the Guv, he takes a lot of the flak. Although, you have to admit, he did get schooled by Robert Kraft, over the stadium deal, although, Rowland got NO help from the politicians in the city of Hartford. If the land had been available, where the original stadium was supposed to have been built, and there wasn't going to be a protracted court/lawsuit cases over that land, maybe.....just MAYBE things may have been different. HOWEVER, I feel that Robert Kraft, and the Patriots were never....NEVER going to build a stadium in Connecticut, and all of this Kabuki theater over the negotiations was nothing more than leveraging the State of MA. to get what he wanted in Foxboro.
Somebody needed a vision of what college football is and its importance to the future of the entire school and state.

We whiffed. It needs to be a place all students go to on Saturday. It needs to be Alumni getting back to campus. It doesn’t need to be in the middle of a cornfield in E Hartford.

I went to every game for 14 years.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Everything about the school has made huge strides under Sue, she did an awesome job and I'm saddened she's leaving. She didn't hire, PP, but she quickly fired the man who did. Warde Manual and Dave Benedict and even Kevin Ollie were popular hires, I can't fault her for any of that. Manual is now AD at Michigan, not sure there's a bigger athletic department in the country. Benedict is pushing buttons too, doesn't change overnight.

They just hired Dan Hurley, arguably the best candidate on the market.

The one horrible decision that was made under their watch was BD, but even he just won an assistant coach of the year award while at ND.

Reaction Score
Larry McHugh screwed this up, through JH. He keeps saying Connecticut will be nothing without UConn. Amusing he put sentimentality ahead of Joe Moorhead. We'd have done fine. This is rock bottom. We ain't Kansas. We've proven we can win. But might have to be with another coach. Randy has reached his ceiling. His job is to reestablish order.

McHugh had a building named after him on campus this year, too! He doesn't look too anguished.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom