OT: - It's Paczki Time! | The Boneyard

OT: It's Paczki Time!

Reaction Score
Some kind of respiratory crud has been kicking my butt for about a week now but a trip to Publix was needed so off I went. And there in the bakery section was a small table piled with cute little red and white boxes of paczkis. Right up there with our win as the best thing to happen to me all day. I chose cream filled, 4 for 5 bucks. My wife is gluten intolerant and my son is a Type 1 diabetic which means they are all mine. Get them while you can as the Paczki season is short. Pro tip: if you are near New Britain that will be the place to find real deal paczkis. Good hunting and enjoy!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

I'll be on the hunt for some down here

Reaction Score
There are recipes for low-carb and gluten-free paczki on the internet. However, I don’t know what they taste like.

Reaction Score
Took the words right out of my mouth. My Babci just rolled over in her grave
The point is “and one” posted that his wife has a gluten intolerance and his son is diabetic. Just wanted to let the poster know that there are alternatives that wouldn’t make them feel left out.

Reaction Score
The point is “and one” posted that his wife has a gluten intolerance and his son is diabetic. Just wanted to let the poster know that there are alternatives that wouldn’t make them feel left out.
As a parent and grandparent of multiple kids with allergies, I get it. Sorry if anyone was offended.

Reaction Score
I think that was tongue in cheek, not a real feeling or response.

Reaction Score
I never tried one. I thought they were just donuts? They have them for a limited time at Big Y.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There are recipes for low-carb and gluten-free paczki on the internet. However, I don’t know what they taste like.
Probably taste like low carb gluten free sawdust LOL

Reaction Score
They look absurdly delicious but how many can you possibly eat at one sitting? No more than 8 probably. I need an expert opinion on the maximum humanly possible.

Reaction Score
A great thing about the Boneyard community is that for the most part they seem to be nice people who are ready to be of help. @Forego was nice enough to suggest that rather than my wife and son having to forego (your handle is very apt here) paczki that there might be a work around. Thanks for the thought - really!

As the one who does the shopping and cooking I have to think about "work arounds" every day. Did I mention that my wife is also lactose intolerant? Low carb, and gluten and dairy free can be done. The variety of dishes that can be made narrows but I've found that for things like veggies that eliminating the buttery, creamy sauces let's the veggie flavors take center stage. I often make things barebones with additives like say cheese on the side for those that want (and can tolerate) it.

I regularly buy gluten and fat free things for my wife. Those that I've tasted seem ok. Her goat cheese and goat yogurt aren't for me but that's just because to me the taste of anything derived from goats milk tastes like a wet goat smells. Apparently most people actually like goatish foods. Anyway, gluten free donuts are available in your supermarket frozen section. Frozen gluten free glazed donuts are in my freezer as we speak. 10 seconds in the microwave and they are...ok. I could try a gluten and dairy free paczki recipe but I'm more of a cook than a baker (there is a huge difference) and I think in this case it would be turning silk into a sows ear.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They look absurdly delicious but how many can you possibly eat at one sitting? No more than 8 probably. I need an expert opinion on the maximum humanly possible.

Sounds like a challenge

Reaction Score
Do yourself a favor and look up Party Cake Bakery in PGH. Best paczki anywhere. Ever.

Reaction Score
I get Paczkis every year from Stop and Shop. They are usually a little on the stale side (after Ash Wednesday they'll really be on the stale side). I found if you nuke them for about 20 seconds they come out close to perfection. Warming them does cause the powdered sugar to get a little sticky.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Picked up a box of apple cinnamon and a box of blueberry for the wife at Big Y. Not stale, really pretty good.

Reaction Score
8 is enough.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Bump for the Carb lovers. Less than a Week left

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members