ITM, Hawk continues to fly high | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ITM, Hawk continues to fly high

Reaction Score
Giffey played under 10 minutes/game and shot 32% from beyond the arc. He was advanced defensively from day 1, but there was no sign of him becoming the offensive contributor that he ended up being. Even his junior season, he shot under 30%.

Jackson was an athletic freak, but looked completely lost as a freshman. Again, little sign that he would end up developing as he did. It was in question even halfway through his junior season.

We are also not even four games into the season. In his first four games, Andre played a total of 33 minutes and scored 4 points, all in his first game against CCSU..

I really think some of us were spoiled by how naturally the pieces fit together last year.I

IDK what to tell you dude. Giffey started 10 games as a freshman on a national championship team. Jackson started a few and averaged 16mpg on a very good team. If that isn't flashes of potential, what is?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm misreading things, but we had a meh game against a terrible team and now people are ready to write off half our freshman class, plus Samson Johnson? Is that about right?
Yeah, just crazy talk.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm misreading things, but we had a meh game against a terrible team and now people are ready to write off half our freshman class, plus Samson Johnson? Is that about right?

Correct. We only won by 34 against a lousy team and now we stink. Whereas when we beat another lousy team by 43, that made us better than last year's title team.

Reaction Score
Correct. We only won by 34 against a lousy team and now we stink. Whereas when we beat another lousy team by 43, that made us better than last year's title team.

It is the Boneyard in quintessential Boneyard form... We are Great!... no, we Suck! LOL.

As a very famous professional Quarterback said once (yes, that would be Aaron Rodgers for those not following along at home):
"R-E-L-A-X"

Enjoy the ride folks... with this many freshman playing prominent roles it is gonna get bumpy at times. We are going to lose a game or two or even three we probably shouldn't. But let's see where we are at by March. I know this much: Ball, Stewart and Ross are going to be significantly different players in March than they are today. Let's let them have their freshman moments, ok? Castle too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That game we played our starters together a lot. This game we had a starter out, but not just that; Hurley played more and different combinations of players than I've seen before. Of course each combo is going take a while to jell but each will be better the next time they play. The coach used this game to prepare for the future.

Reaction Score
IDK what to tell you dude. Giffey started 10 games as a freshman on a national championship team. Jackson started a few and averaged 16mpg on a very good team. If that isn't flashes of potential, what is?

You knew that in four games? Don't think so. I already gave you Andre's. Now let's look at Giffey. In his first four games, he scored a total of 12 points, didn't make a three point field goal, and shot 50% from the free throw line.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You knew that in four games? Don't think so. I already gave you Andre's. Now let's look at Giffey. In his first four games, he scored a total of 12 points, didn't make a three point field goal, and shot 50% from the free throw line.
Do you remember Emeka's first game in the XL? After that one, I was thinking maybe he can help us in a couple of years. Turned out to be a couple of games.

Reaction Score

I never said I was writing them off; I said they need to show out by the end of the season or the odds aren't looking good. I still think that's true.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was in preschool during Marshall and Ollie's freshman year so don't remember that, but Giffey started 10 games and got major run early in the year and in the championship game, while Jackson was a 6th/7th man and played 16 mpg.

Especially lately, you don't see guys go from afterthoughts to major contributors.

I think it is extremely common and especially with bigs (kids not getting much burn freshman year and developing over time). But maybe not in our specific recent history.

Reaction Score
I never said I was writing them off; I said they need to show out by the end of the season or the odds aren't looking good. I still think that's true.

You're saying you don't see the same potential that you saw in Jackson and Giffey. I'm asking that you compare apples to apples, and not a full season vs. 3 games.

Reaction Score
You're saying you don't see the same potential that you saw in Jackson and Giffey. I'm asking that you compare apples to apples, and not a full season vs. 3 games.

Dude, how hard is this to get? You're embarrassing yourself. I said they need to show out by the end of the season or it doesn't bode well for their future. I'm not judging them yet.

Reaction Score

Both statements are objectively ridiculous, but par for the course in this place.

It's hard to ignore that something seemed off last night. Whether it was a result of Castle not being there, Karaban in lots of foul trouble, Clingan being clearly not 100%, some really strange officiating that allowed some reckless play by the opponent, experimenting with lineups, or all of the above, it was not a pretty performance despite the score. Some flaws showed themselves.

Reaction Score
Dude, how hard is this to get? You're embarrassing yourself. I said they need to show out by the end of the season or it doesn't bode well for their future. I'm not judging them yet.

And the exact same thing could have been said about both Jackson and Giffey at the same point, despite your assertion that they are poor comparisons.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
It's probably safe to say Solo has shown he will probably be a top end starter. Athletic, nice shot, pretty good size, multi-level scorer.

Ross and Stew have already flashed more than players like Floyd and Diggins ever did. Like Hurley said in the postgame, the lackluster energy/performance yesterday from the vets did no favors for the rooks.

Both players show above average (at least) BBIQ and we know that if they need to cultivate the dog in them, Hurley's the guy to do it.

Reaction Score
Well anyways, back to talking about Hawkins.

He's such an ideal prototype for an NBA shooting guard nowadays. Absolutely fearless shooter, quick release, plus athleticism, active defender. I expected him to be a really, really good NBA player but I didn't necessarily think he'd get off to this good of a start. I'm really happy for him. Maybe we'll see him in the Rising Stars game at all-star weekend, I don't really know what the format for that is anymore

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
I wouldn't write off Ross and/or Stewart yet. Hurley is giving them some decent minutes. But we all wont really know much until they play real competition. They seem pretty far ahead of where Diggins, Samson and Yarin were on the pecking order though.

Samson showed way less as a freshman.
i like the potential of Stewart a lot
the first couple of games he looks a little unsure/robotic .... but then he'll crash for a rebound and you can see the skills are there
just needs to relax a little but it's a typical freshman thing

Reaction Score
Hawk still can't really dribble. He loses the ball a couple times a game on drives (either stripped or just on his own). It's pretty bizarre. I made a point of checking his hand-size during the combine to see if he just couldn't control the ball well enough. Small but not like an outlier.

Makes me wonder if he just spent all his time working off the ball and never dribbled enough to practice, or if he realized he was utter poop at dribbling sometime along the way and decided to focus on off ball movement lol.

Reaction Score
So essentially you’re betting Wemby get hurt.
Not necessarily the only way but that would help. I wouldn’t take the bet at 10-1 right now but I’ll take that risk-reward at 100-1 with Hawkins on pace to break the rookie 3s made mark.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom