2020 Recruiting: - Ishmael El-Amin to transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Ishmael El-Amin to transfer

Reaction Score
I can't tell if it's my UConn bias or not but I always thought Khalid should have stuck around the league. He played well for the Bulls his rookie season. Don't forget his Dad was a top recruit and a Mr. Basketball winner in High School.

Khalid played well. He should have stuck but he went overseas and he never tried that hard to come back. He was making big money and he couldn’t bring himself to take a pay cut to play in the NBA. He hoped he’d get a sizable offer based on his performance overseas. He wasn’t going to play in the CBA.

Reaction Score
Guys who average 14 ppg on 40% three point shooting don't walk-on anywhere. I would be happy to have him.
Ball State was also a very good team. There’s no way people realize this based on the comments I’m seeing. Kenpom had them 116th overall and 37th in Defensive Efficiency. El-Amin led them in minutes playing the 2/3. He must be a solid defender.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how familiar people here are with this PORPAGATU! (Points Over Replacement Per Adjusted Game At That Usage) stat/how valid people think it is/how much it's been discussed on the board, but this website has him ranked 19th out of like 330 potential transfers in it. Personally I'm not too familiar with it but the website seems to find it important. Last season his was 2.3, which would have been 4th on our team behind Vital (3.9), Bouknight (3.1), and Polley (3.1). For further reference to some guys I've heard that we're interested in, Justin Turner is 3rd (3.8), Alan Griffin is 8th (3.2), Landers Nolley is 22nd (2.2), and Tyrese Martin is 31st (1.9).

Regardless, it seems like this kid can hoop. This stat doesn't say anything about defense, but as @UConnStats pointed out they were a good defensive team last season and he played a lot of minutes. Don't think we should sleep on him just because he wasn't heavily recruited out of high school/his dad is a legend here.

If anyone else wants to check out more on this, a link: T-Rank Player Stats - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank

Reaction Score
Think he'll be like a Sam Cassell Jr type
FWIW, Ish's numbers this year were considerably better than Cassell's were when he was playing big minutes for Iona as a senior.

Reaction Score
39% from 3 would've been our best shooter, looks much quicker than Sam ever was and certainly can get his shot off quick. I mean Sam came from Jr College and this guy is playing against some pretty decent comp at Ball State. He can play, add him to the guards I'd be very happy. Add to that the mere fact he has KEA's blood I'm all in.

Reaction Score
Great release, fantastic mechanics. I think I'm in, as long as he is willing to defend.

Reaction Score
Great release, fantastic mechanics. I think I'm in, as long as he is willing to defend.

AHA bingo. Wish they showed defensive highlights too. Good size if he comes DH will get him to buy in I am sure.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Hopefully Coach Hurley can make this happen! The kid can definitely ball. I would love to see the name El-Amin on the back of a UConn Jersey again!

Reaction Score
@superjohn and @UConnStats made me go on a YouTube search. And I must say myself and others have been completely disrespectful. This kid can shoot, and play. Add on that he’s KEA son. Why the hell not. I’m for it

Wouldn’t mind having him be a Husky next year at all.

Not only does he shoot the 3 well, but at least 3/4 of the ones from that mixtape were NBA-distance 3’s. Would do a great job of stretching defense and opening up interior for Jackson/Bouk drives and PorkChop & Co. dunks

Reaction Score
Is there any way he could be a walk-on just because of who his dad is and still get free tuition? Kinda like Kenya Hunter's son who plays at Old Dominion now could have been a walk on for us and gotten free tuition.

His skill level is definitely that of a scholarship player's, just wondering if we can work around using a scholly somehow

Reaction Score
Is there any way he could be a walk-on just because of who his dad is and still get free tuition? Kinda like Kenya Hunter's son who plays at Old Dominion now could have been a walk on for us and gotten free tuition.

His skill level is definitely that of a scholarship player's, just wondering if we can work around using a scholly somehow
Kenya is a UConn employee, Khalid isn’t to my knowledge. Plus, even with a hypothetical tuition waiver, Ish would still have to pay for housing, etc.

There is no chance this kid walks on at UConn. He can get a scholarship and playing time at any number of high majors.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Think he'll be like a Sam Cassell Jr type
From what I remember Cassell Jr. couldn’t stay 100% healthy at UConn??? El-Amin Jr. looks strong.

Reaction Score
From what I remember Cassell Jr. couldn’t stay 100% healthy at UConn??? El-Amin Jr. looks strong.

Sam had skills and game no doubt but once he hit the court at the level UConn plays it was shockingly noticeable his foot speed and quickness weren't for that level. JR does look like he has enough to be successful but who knows better than DH and the staff. We will see, he certainly looks solid in most aspects, but can he guard?

Reaction Score
Just sayin....the walk on route has happened before. I also feel that the UConn program would find a way to make it as beneficial as possible.

Still super unlikely of happening that way

Reaction Score
Just sayin....the walk on route has happened before. I also feel that the UConn program would find a way to make it as beneficial as possible.

Still super unlikely of happening that way

I hear what you're saying and yes it has. But if you're a kid, even KEA's, don't you want to have them bestow the confidence of giving you a 'ship so you are equal to all those you will be playing with? I mean KEA would want to know they have that confidence also in his son for the Husky staff right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom