Isaiah Whitehead with some unkind words towards T Samuel | The Boneyard

Isaiah Whitehead with some unkind words towards T Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
South Shore and Lincoln squared off last night with Lincoln getting the decisive 73-62 win. Samuel who was in foul trouble throughout the night finished with 1 point. After the game Whitehead said the following.

Isaiah Whitehead (15) of Lincoln scores 19 points and grabs 13 rebounds in a 73-62 win over South Shore. Afterward, he says Terrence Samuel is not 'that good' even though he's headed to UConn.

Lincoln's Isaiah Whitehead didn’t mince words after his team’s 73-62 win over visiting South Shore in which the Railsplitters held UConn-bound guard Terrence Samuel to a single point.
Lincoln (9-3, 8-0) dominated its previously undefeated rival, leading by as many as 18 points in the third quarter to wrest control of first place in the PSAL Brooklyn ‘AA’ division.
But rather than just boast about his team’s superb play on Thursday, the normally low-key and polite Whitehead took an opportunity to take a shot at Samuel, who like him is one of the city’s top players.
“I never thought he was that good for our team to really worry about him,” said Whitehead, who finished with 19 points and 13 rebounds and is regarded as one of the top juniors in the country. “I just don’t think that he’s that good. I know what everyone says, he’s going to UConn and all that, but I just don’t believe it.”
Lincoln coach Dwayne (Tiny) Morton quickly came to Samuel’s defense, saying that UConn coach Kevin Ollie is getting something special in the highly-touted Samuel.
“He’s a great player,” Morton said of Samuel, whose single point came on a free throw with 24 seconds left in the first half. “Maybe he’s not playing up to his potential right now but he’s very talented.”
In the last two seasons, games between South Shore (10-3, 6-1) and Lincoln have involved more than just dunks and jumpers. They’ve also included punches and shoves.
Last year, Lincoln center Tafari Whittingham was suspended three games for allegedly throwing a punch in a game against South Shore on Jan. 31. Two years ago, Lincoln big man Kamari Murphy, now a freshman at Oklahoma State, also served a suspension for allegedly throwing a punch in the final seconds of a Brooklyn borough championship tournament semifinal game against South Shore.
There were no fisticuffs in Thursday’s game, but Whitehead’s words were pretty rough.
“We don’t like each other,” Samuel said of Whitehead. “It’s something that started this summer with the competition and playing against each other. But we just don’t get along.”
Asked if the rift went beyond the court, Samuel said it wasn’t personal and is mainly about basketball.
Lincoln played arguably its most complete game of the season with Whitehead orchestrating the offense and his teammates producing. Elijah Davis, a transfer from St. Patrick, continued his strong play this season with a team-high 20 points while teammate Trevonn Morton added nine. South Shore was led by David Tait (20 points) and Shamiek Sheppard (15).
Whitehead said opponents are so eager to stop that him that it leaves his teammates open. And that was true of Morton, who buried a soft jumper to give his team a 50-41 lead late in the third quarter. Dwayne Morton, his father, was so happy about the play that he walked toward the South Shore bench and said, “Wow.”
A couple of assistants on South Shore acknowledge him with a smile. When Trevonn Morton sunk a three-pointer moments later, giving Lincoln a 54-45 lead with 1:31 left in the third, Dwayne Morton smiled and then playfully stared at South Shore coach Mike Beckles.
“I know some of the assistants so that was just having a little fun with them because they thought he wasn’t that good last season,” Morton said of his son. “I told them that players do get better at Lincoln.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high-school/isaiah-swipes-vike-big-lincoln-win-article-1.1232761#ixzz2H0tpVIf0

Reaction Score
Isaiah Whitehead is a di**head to say anything like that.......where's he going Cuse, Kentucky, Baylor???

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Life lesson. To be the best you have to bring it every game. Whitehead is a dick, but he's a dick on the team that won. Want to shut him up? Put the ball in the basket. If Samuel is as good as advertised, it won't be a lesson he needs to learn twice.

Reaction Score
Life lesson. To be the best you have to bring it every game. Whitehead is a dick, but he's a dick on the team that won. Want to shut him up? Put the ball in the basket. If Samuel is as good as advertised, it won't be a lesson he needs to learn twice.

Doesn't matter, any kid who is already spouting off like that to the media and singling out one guy after a win is a piece of .........win lose or draw!!

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter, any kid who is already spouting off like that to the media and singling out one guy after a win is a piece of .........win lose or draw!!

In the future, when Samuel is a key part of the next UConn championship, we will look back on this and compare it to the Seahawks' Richard Sherman taunting Tom Brady for playing poorly in a Seattle win this year:

richardsherman-600x438.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep but those guys are always out there. Winners like Khalid El-Amin, who took an incredible amount of crap from opposing teams, know that the scoreboard is ultimate answer to them. When you win, the rest is all just noise.
pg2_g_elamin_240.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In the future, when Samuel is a key part of the next UConn championship, we will look back on this and compare it to the Seahawks' Richard Sherman taunting Tom Brady for playing poorly in a Seattle win this year:

You are comparing a kid who only scored 1 point in a HS game to Tom Brady?

caw

Reaction Score
I get Samuel is a UConn guy now, but it's a heated rivalry and Whitehead is only a junior in high school. You can't expect a junior in high school to be PC about stuff. That said, I can't remember the last Lincoln player I liked, they are so very often overhyped. Even Marbury, as good as he was, wasn't the next coming. That said, Whitehead has looked pretty good.

On an interesting note, this first came up in the thread about Jared Wilson Frame. Cuse is supposed to love Whitehead and I don't think Frame is currently seriously on their radar, which is interesting because we all love Frame but he is supposedly a Cuse fan.

Reaction Score
Word on the street in NYC from the South Bronx to Harlem to Coney Island to Brownsville to Canarsie is spreading fast and furious that the triumvirate of aceboon, flleudslipcon & mauconn will be on site behind the South Shore bench located on Flatlands Avenue in Brooklyn February 7, 2013 for the rematch between Lincoln and South Shore. The big buzz around Canarsie especially is that this UConn triumvirate are ready to "Soldier up" in anticipation of any altercations. Legends will be made on February 7, 2013 on the Flatlands.

Rumor has it this eccentric, intelligent and talented triumvirate will hold a pre game "Meeting of the Dons" at De Island restaurant on Flatlands Avenue in Brooklyn at 3:30 PM on February 7, 2013 before the 5:00 PM South Shore-Lincoln tip off. De Island restaurant has already started preparing the pumpkin rice and jerk chicken for this special "Meeting of the Dons." De Islands has special ordered 2 cases of Stones Premium Alcoholic Ginger Beer for the "Meeting of the Dons" special gathering.

Fear and excitement is brewing in all of NYC for the expected arrival of the basketball Dons. This has now become one of the most anticipated high school basketball games ever in the history NYC hoops.

:D

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"In the future..."

I caught that. But it's one thing to look on the bright side, it's another to be delusional. I hope you are right, but I'll bet a beer that Darius Smith and Jamal Trice were never held to only 1 point in their senior year of high school ball.

Reaction Score
Had some time to kill so ended up watching the replay of the game. 3 quarters that is.

Game thoughts:
TS definitely should have had the ball more in his hands. Had a few nice passes which resulted in fts. Would have had atleast a few more assists had they been converted. Almost had a ridiculous poster dunk but was called for an offensive foul. Only knack is didn't see him shoot a jumper at all and his aggressiveness in scoring. Seems like he definitely plays more of a facilitator role compared to a scoring role, when he has the ball in his hands that is.

TS stats up until the end of the 3rd

FG: 0-0
FT: 1-2
1 pt
1 rb
2 assissts
2 steal
1 TO

Reaction Score
Had some time to kill so ended up watching the replay of the game. 3 quarters that is.

Game thoughts:
TS definitely should have had the ball more in his hands. Had a few nice passes which resulted in fts. Would have had atleast a few more assists had they been converted. Almost had a ridiculous poster dunk but was called for an offensive foul. Only knack is didn't see him shoot a jumper at all and his aggressiveness in scoring. Seems like he definitely plays more of a facilitator role compared to a scoring role, when he has the ball in his hands that is.

1 pt
1 rb
2 assissts
2 steal
1 TO

I watched the first half and agree completely. Definitely a pass first point guard who plays within himself and finds the open man. But it was actually pretty shocking how little he looked for his own shot. Given that he's put up big numbers in other games, I suppose it's just his nature to take what the defense gives to him. But he hardly looked for his offense at all in this one.

Reaction Score
I watched the first half and agree completely. Definitely a pass first point guard who plays within himself and finds the open man. But it was actually pretty shocking how little he looked for his own shot. Given that he's put up big numbers in other games, I suppose it's just his nature to take what the defense gives to him. But he hardly looked for his offense at all in this one.

Last week someone posted that he had a run-in with his coach, late to practice or something like that? I forget what it was, but things are a bit rocky for him right now.

caw

Reaction Score

Game thoughts:

1 pt
1 rb
2 assissts
2 steal
1 TO

He's the same in AAU, from what I have seen. I said in another thread that if he was more ball-dominant he would be ranked higher. He has a decent number of scoring moves but he doesn't look for his as much as he could, and maybe should. Kind of like the Giffey of PG's.

Reaction Score
1 point is pathetic and his team lost. call it like it is don't worry about a guy talking crap about him after the game - he deserves it. i know everyone loves his attitude towards uconn - i do too - but if he's not good enough to be a uconn player we should recruit over him. i'm reading other threads with people saying we shouldn't recruit any other point guards for 2014 because we have samuel coming in. thats like saying we shouldn't recruit another center for 2013 bc we have wolf. hopefully this was just one really bad game and he'll bounce back strong.

caw

Reaction Score
1 point is pathetic and his team lost. call it like it is don't worry about a guy talking crap about him after the game - he deserves it. i know everyone loves his attitude towards uconn - i do too - but if he's not good enough to be a uconn player we should recruit over him. i'm reading other threads with people saying we shouldn't recruit any other point guards for 2014 because we have samuel coming in. thats like saying we shouldn't recruit another center for 2013 bc we have wolf. hopefully this was just one really bad game and he'll bounce back strong.

Has anyone said that in regards to 2014 PG recruits? I missed that. 2013 PG recruits I've seen (esp. in regards to Kendall Smith).

Reaction Score

So what about his game against Boys & Girls when he dominated? Is that an anomaly? Is he the 1 pt. guy, or the 23 pt. guy? One game defines a career?

Reaction Score

LOL, I seriously doubt anyone has said that. After the 13-14 season Bazz and most likely Boat will be gone, there's alot of dumb stuff posted on here but I doubt anyone would be comfortable with going to war with one PG, an unproven one at that.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If the kid dishes out 10 assists per game and averages 4 points, I'm alright with that.

Reaction Score
This kid sounds like a Donnell Beverly, with upside maybe as high as Craig Austrie.

Either way, he's a nice 4th guard, but if he's being counted on for major minutes at PG in 2014 (or, God-forbid, next year), then we're in big trouble and Ollie will have failed spectacularly as a recruiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom