Is the Big East viable without UofL, WVU, Pitt and SU all gone? | The Boneyard

Is the Big East viable without UofL, WVU, Pitt and SU all gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That looks like a very likely result when the BE presidents meet on Sunday. The writer from the SJ Mercury news is on fire tonight...he is not your run-of- the-mill twitter whore.

The New New Big East: UConn, RU, USF, Cincy, ECU, UCF, TCU, Temple

Wow.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The Big East was all gone when Pitt and Cuse left.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the big east
sju/gtown/nova/prov/marq/dep/shu/duq/richmond/bu/quinn/siena/butler/dayton/charlotte/xavier

all fball schools will bounce by the time everything is done

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Big East was all gone when Pitt and Cuse left.

Assuming Louisville and West Virginia stay, we're still in position to have our BCS bid. How is that not viable?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Chances of UConn to the ACC > chance of Big 12 going to 12 teams.

UConn doesn't have a very good chance of going to the ACC.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Nelson. The Big 12 if they're going to lock down everyone wrt media rights, might just go to 12. They'll have their stability. Crazy to think from 2 weeks ago. I guess being anchored by UT and OU has more cache than Rutgers and WVU.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Assuming Louisville and West Virginia stay, we're still in position to have our BCS bid. How is that not viable?
Which BE team is really in the realm of being one of the best 6 nationally anually and therefore worthy of a BCS bid?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
if we can retain the schools we have today, we can make it work

the SEC already rejected WVU, and they are not expanding to 14 until next year

the B12 is at 9, maybe 8 if MO bolts. TX is not going to give up the LHN, and the existing membership was talking about a 5 year deal last I knew

I'm sorry, that's not exactly a sign of stability either

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Which BE team is really in the realm of being one of the best 6 nationally anually and therefore worthy of a BCS bid?

that's not the standard

and who did we lose that turned our football status around?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Since when did that become a criteria for being in the BCS? I mean, first off there is 8 teams that make the BCS. Secondly, I know you're just saying that for effect but I'll play along anyways.

For current Big East members, you'd have to look all the way back til...wait for...2009 when Cincy finished the regular season 3rd in the BCS standings.

Last year, TCU finished 3rd in the regular season BCS standings.

In the New Big East (post raid 1.0) West Virginia and Louisville have both been close to making the national title game.

Since when was Pitt or Syracuse one of the 6 nationally best teams, and now that they are no longer here, we're going to lose our bid?

Next question!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have a theory on Missouri and BYU for that matter.

The Big 12 could be very, very attractive to those two long term, because of the way the third tier rights agreement with the conference is developing. The Big 12 is going to be more a confederation than a conference as far as I can tell, with significant content dropping to the third tier for the schools to distribute themselves. Based on what I have read, there will be some revenue share at this level only among those schools that have a network that meets minimum revenue requirements. The LHN obviously qualifies, and BYUtv will meet the test. Oklahoma could possibly pull something off. And Missouri, which has the two largest metro areas in the league outside of Texas. I think all of the major programs in the Big 12 are looking down the road and seeing HUGE revenues, apart from the comingled league revenues. Just a theory.

Reaction Score
Waylon and myself have a better chance of double dating rich 21 yr old twin blonde nymphomaniacs than the BE surviving without UL and WVU.

Reaction Score
If two out of RU, UConn, UL and WVU leave the conference, the remaining members are best moving their just their football programs to a different conference or creating a new conference, because I highly doubt the BE basketball schools would agree to let in 3 schools for all sports from the pool of UCF, Houston, ECU, Memphis and Temple.

To be clear, I am suggesting moving the football programs only while keeping the Olympic sports in the Big East.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The B12 would go to 12 if there was another WVU available and BYU goes on board. That will be the stumbling block. Any team named as number 12 is likely dilutive or out of region or faces some other obstacle from gaining a consensus.

The ADS met Tuesday and formed a committee to stabilize the conference. Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma and Iowa are the members and they will consider expansion options.

>> Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard, the chairman of the Big 12 ADs, said there were "healthy discussions" about what might happen numbers-wise in the future.
"
There's a lot of possibilities. It could be nine, it could be 10, it could be 12, it could be 16, pick a number," Pollard said.

"I think what we're more focused on is doing what we all believe is right for the membership of the Big 12 and the most important piece right now is the solidarity among the nine and finding a way to make sure that we provide that solidarity so that we can be stabilized before we entertain whether that should be nine, 10, 12, 16."<<

As far as the AQ goes The BE could be in trouble IF the conferences used the same measure in 2014 as they did now. As long as TCU and WVU and USF remain ranked it isn't a problem. Boise is the only MWC team getting ranked.

There doesn't seem to be a way for a conference to lose their BCS status. Yet.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=5126859

Reaction Score
Waylon and myself have a better chance of double dating rich 21 yr old twin blonde nymphomaniacs than the BE surviving without UL and WVU.

I would pay to be able to watch that evening evolve!

Reaction Score
does anyone here hoenstly think that Pitt+Cuse is better than TCU+Temple(/or UCF/ECU)? on the field we've improved over the last year assuming we bring in one of the better candidates we've all discussed 1000 times. even if we don't, trading TCU for Pitt and Cuse is an upgrade. why does anyone think our BCS bid is in jeopardy? as long as we keep TCU, WVU and Louisville we'll remain a BCS conference.

if anything the B12 is in greater danger of losing theirs b/c they have basically two teams that are solely responsible for them being a BCS conference, and if they bolt, which they've both openly discussed, the B12 will be SOL. Pitino seems committed to the BE, although he doesn't necessarily speak for Louisville, and since the B12 doesn't seem to want TCU, and due to their small market everyone's turning down WVU. also if any of those teams jumped to the B12 they'd basically be sentencing themselves to their best non BCS bowl while OK and TX take turns playing in the NC game and Fiesta Bowl every year. i don't see how our BCS bid is in danger

Reaction Score
does anyone here hoenstly think that Pitt+Cuse is better than TCU+Temple(/or UCF/ECU)? on the field we've improved over the last year assuming we bring in one of the better candidates we've all discussed 1000 times. even if we don't, trading TCU for Pitt and Cuse is an upgrade. why does anyone think our BCS bid is in jeopardy? as long as we keep TCU, WVU and Louisville we'll remain a BCS conference. THAT'S RIGHT. HOPE THAT REASON PREVAILS.

if anything the B12 is in greater danger of losing theirs [SAY WHA????] b/c they have basically two teams that are solely responsible for them being a BCS conference [HUH???] and if they bolt, which they've both openly discussed, the B12 will be SOL. [THEY CAN'T BOLT. TX WILL NOT BOLT. OK CAN'T BOLT W/O TX]. Pitino seems committed to the BE, although he doesn't necessarily speak for Louisville, and since the B12 doesn't seem to want TCU, and due to their small market everyone's turning down WVU. also if any of those teams jumped to the B12 they'd basically be sentencing themselves to their best non BCS bowl while OK and TX take turns playing in the NC game and Fiesta Bowl every year. [SO WHAT? I'D TAKE THAT, WOULDN'T YOU?] i don't see how our BCS bid is in danger. YOU'RE RIGHT, AS LONG AS REASON PREVAILS.

Reaction Score
does anyone here hoenstly think that Pitt+Cuse is better than TCU+Temple(/or UCF/ECU)? on the field we've improved over the last year assuming we bring in one of the better candidates we've all discussed 1000 times. even if we don't, trading TCU for Pitt and Cuse is an upgrade. why does anyone think our BCS bid is in jeopardy? as long as we keep TCU, WVU and Louisville we'll remain a BCS conference.

if anything the B12 is in greater danger of losing theirs b/c they have basically two teams that are solely responsible for them being a BCS conference, and if they bolt, which they've both openly discussed, the B12 will be SOL. Pitino seems committed to the BE, although he doesn't necessarily speak for Louisville, and since the B12 doesn't seem to want TCU, and due to their small market everyone's turning down WVU. also if any of those teams jumped to the B12 they'd basically be sentencing themselves to their best non BCS bowl while OK and TX take turns playing in the NC game and Fiesta Bowl every year. i don't see how our BCS bid is in danger

Pitt and Syracuse have much higher ceilings than TCU and whoever. They are respected national institutions that have football traditions and bring much more to the table.

TCU has been good at football for the last decade or so.

Pitt and Syracuse have alumni that are among the greatest football players ever and have the chance to rebuild that legacy. They struggled to do so in the BE, I think, because without Miami and VT there wasn't much cache. But we can disagree on this.

With regards to your overall point, I think you are right in the short term. TCU and anyone is better this year (next year, maybe the year after) than Pitt and Syracuse. But that doesn't have to be that way, and likely won't stay that way.

Why do people think our BCS bid is in jeopardy? Because there are two national programs (WVU and TCU) and a bunch of never-beens. There's not another BCS conference in the country as thin as the BE.

The BXII has Texas, OU, OSU. Tech, Kansas State, Kansas, and Missouri have also all had good football runs in recent years.​

ACC has FSU, Clemson, VT and GT that are nationally respected football schools. I only don't add Miami because of their sanctions. But Miami (if they survive) has been a better program than any BE program and UNC has national programs better than any in the BE sans WVU. Maryland and BC have respectable recent histories too. For instance, in 2007, BC was 8-0 and ranked #2. No other school has been ranked that highly in the BE besides WVU.​

The other conferences (Pac-12, B1G, and SEC) manifestly have the depth. I mean, nationally, no one respected the BE (rightly or wrongly). If TCU came into the fold with Syracuse and Pitt, the BE might have become the 5th best conference. Their likely now stuck in 6th, competing with the MWC. If TCU realizes how poor the BE is, they will head back there, and TCU and BSU is manifestly better than WVU and ? (Cincy? Louisville? USF?)

To add: a couple of years ago, Cincy went undefeated through the BE and didn't make the title game. Not only that, but every expert picked Florida to beat them in the Sugar Bowl. Not only did Florida beat them, but it whipped them 51-24. That speaks to the weakness of the BE and why it didn't have respect that year, or really any year, since VT and Miami left.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Speak for yourself.

Reaction Score
the BE may be the 6th best BCS conference, but there's a wide margin between us and the MWC. keep in mind MWC's best 3 teams just left. also what makes us a BCS conference isn't our top team or two, but our overall depth. the MWCs bottom half is horrible. our bottom half is still decent.
as to gars, why would Louisville want to be stuck perpetually behind OU and TX? Nebraska, Colorado and aTm didn't like it, why would Louisville? in the BE Louisville almost made a NC game. that's never happening in the B12. and of course there's always bball which Louisville fans care a lot about.

Reaction Score
That looks like a very likely result when the BE presidents meet on Sunday. The writer from the SJ Mercury news is on fire tonight...he is not your run-of- the-mill twitter whore.

The New New Big East: UConn, RU, USF, Cincy, ECU, UCF, TCU, Temple

Wow.
It is not viable if 2 of West Virginia, Louisville, UCONN, Rutgers leave. Maybe it can be salvaged if 3 of those 4 remain. In an odd way, the losses of Pitt and Syracuse combined with th eloss of UL, West Virginia and /or UCONN also has a huge negative impact on the basketball league, which nobody has discussed very much. In fact, Pitt and Syracuse have been huge contributors to the hoop league's status over the past 5 years and its unlikely that replacing them with a couple of mid-majors will fix that. Of all the potential replacements, the one who will be most opposed, Temple, would be the strongest replacement.

Reaction Score
the BE may be the 6th best BCS conference, but there's a wide margin between us and the MWC. keep in mind MWC's best 3 teams just left. also what makes us a BCS conference isn't our top team or two, but our overall depth. the MWCs bottom half is horrible. our bottom half is still decent.

National reputation matters, and while you will be right that the BE is better than the MWC if TCU comes, I can't say that it would be. Depth matter, but the BE will have little. The ability to put forward potential NC contenders also matters, and if TCU doesn't come, the MWC will have two to our one.

mattp said:
as to gars, why would Louisville want to be stuck perpetually behind OU and TX? Nebraska, Colorado and aTm didn't like it, why would Louisville? in the BE Louisville almost made a NC game. that's never happening in the B12. and of course there's always bball which Louisville fans care a lot about.

I'm pretty sure the same things were said about UConn basketball in the late-70s-early-80s about their inability to ever compete in the BE. Going to a better conference (usually--BC is an exception, but that is, I think, because local players often like to play locally) will generate better recruits. You can play against Texas, OU, OSU, etc, or WVU.

Reaction Score
The only problem with our fixation on having 6 conferences having an AQ is that the SEC is already laying the ground work to revamp the system. First it starts with "remove limit of 2 BCS teams from each conference". It will devolve to some hybrid of meritocratic cronyism, with the cronies deciding who has the merits.

Don't forget that the largest sporting event dollar wise, after the superbowl, is the NCAA tournament. That is controlled by the NCAA, with some 85% of the revenue retained by them, and then a big chunk distributed to all the conferences, good or bad. With the IRS scrutiny and scandals impacting the BCS bowl committees, college football is slouching towards a playoff system.

Then the BCS teams will marginalize the NCAA tournament. Just as the NCAA marginalized the NIT tournament.

Reaction Score
"And who would be the targets? Brigham Young has been often mentioned, and so have Big East programs like Louisville and West Virginia. TCU, set to join the Big East next year, could also be a target. Boise State also has been picking up traction as an expansion candidate.

A Big East official said West Virginia had been in contact with other conferences, including the Big 12, ACC and SEC.

“I know this,” a conference commissioner said. “If West Virginia and Louisville leave, Big East football is over.”

One school that has been contacted by the Big 12, Air Force, may no longer be a candidate."

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/27/3171839/will-anybody-second-the-motion.html

Reaction Score
Comment re: SU football. I don't think top #25 FB players want to play in a dome, at least not the aging Carrier Dome. I don't think SU will ever be better than 7-5 in any BCS conference, coach notwithstanding. It is a disadvantage to go from a dome to grass to turf outdoors several times a year for college level players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom