Iowa vs. Iowa State | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Iowa vs. Iowa State

Reaction Score
Clark is a baller , but 35 points on 30 shots only making 12 is not POY caliber. She won last year so i fully expect if she can score points no matter what her %'s are she will win again . I just don't believe she's the best player in america this season more so the most needed player by her team and clearly ESPN.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Clark is a baller , but 35 points on 30 shots only making 12 is not POY caliber. She won last year so i fully expect if she can score points no matter what her %'s are she will win again . I just don't believe she's the best player in america this season more so the most needed player by her team and clearly ESPN.
The supporting cast has provided almost nothing tonight. Martin finally stepped up late in Q4 but the rest of the team, nope.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
My lord, it's my first time watching an entire Iowa game this season, and let's just say Clark must miss her teammates who graduated last season.

Not a vintage game from Clark, but she made clutch buckets down the stretch that were the difference between winning and losing.

Clark: 12-31 FG; 6-16 3PT
rest of Iowa: 10-32 FG; 3-15 3PT

Her teammates are gonna need to step it up.

Reaction Score
And Martin was 6-12 overall, 2-3 behind the arc. Rest of the rest was 4-20, nobody made more than 1 FG.

Truth. And Martin stepped up late with some free throws by Affolter . She was the difference IMHO. I wasn't expecting to have anything like a one point lead with 4:40 left in this game but Iowa went on a 13-3 run to close it out.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty surprised at how small of a role Natabou has with Iowa St. I thought she'd be a fairly impactful transfer. I'm also surprised she didn't follow Coach Campbell to TCU. Freshmen Crooks and Brown are good, I see why they start.

She's been pretty unimpressive through our first eight games. Was expecting more from her. Freshman Audi Crooks is starting now, something I didn't anticipate till maybe next year. She's made great progress in her strength and conditioning in the few short months since HS. She played small HS class and on a mediocre AAU team and never looked in shape when I saw her play. Got to give her credit for some hard work to progress this quickly.

Reaction Score
Kate Martin has emerged as Iowa’s clear-cut #2 option, a spot that was a big question mark post-Czinano. She’s shooting north of 60% and doing all the little things. Really impressive player.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Kate Martin has emerged as Iowa’s clear-cut #2 option, a spot that was a big question mark post-Czinano. She’s shooting north of 60% and doing all the little things. Really impressive player.
I agree she needs to keep being more aggressive offensively. It's getting tougher to keep Gabbie Marshall in the starting 5, she just isn't getting it done and her defense hasn't been as good this year either. Let her be a spark off the bench, give Taylor McCabe a shot she's a great shooter, not a bad defender, and is better off the dribble too, just lacks the experience and needs the minutes to get in a good rhythm.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I found it comical how Lobo kept complimenting Clark looking for her teammates but in reality no one could throw the ball into the ocean aside from Martin. This wasn't Clark's best game but she almost single handily got them the win and worked her butt off defensively. A few things to note:

1. Iowa's post game was completely non-existent tonight. Utilizing post players has been a standout feature of Iowa the past decade and they have capable players, though they miss their share of layups. It didn't look like getting posts involved was remotely on the game plan tonight. Not sure what's going on, though Stuelke/Goodman played great defense in the 2nd half.

2. What's up with Kylie Feuerbach? I thought she'd be a bigger contributor this year. I think she has the skills to be a solid player for them but seems buried on the bench. Also got barked at by CC for a couple of defensive mistakes.

3. Audi Crooks looked great. She reminds me of a poor man's Courtney Paris from Oklahoma back in the day. Good touch inside, space eater, great hands and finishing ability. Has a good face up game too and drilled a 3 from the top of the key. As @ISUnorth noted, she looks like she is in much better shape than she was in AAU ball. Props to her for working her tail off to be able to log long minutes in a big game.

4. Iowa State's other freshmen really impressed me. Addy Brown is a dynamic player with good size and inside out ability. She's averaging 14/7/5 to start the year which is phenomenal. Bristow too has solid upside, though she didn't shoot well tonight. The third Joens sister is also a starter and playing well. Iowa State quietly has one of the best classes in women's basketball this year.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Addy Brown is a dynamic player with good size and inside out ability.
About a month into her career she already looks like a better player than her older sister ever has been, now a 5th year Sr.

Reaction Score
Entertaining game last night. ISU has a good nucleus of freshman that look a lot more competitive than I expected at this point of the season. Looking forward to seeing them in B12 conference play.

There was one thing I wasn't a fan of however. The isolation play on offence. I know it's a staple for the team, but it didn't seem to work when Diew tried to run it. A few times towards the end of the game when ISU needed points, she went to that play and turned it over. Brown seems to be better equipped to handle that role.

Now for Iowa, Stuelke and Goodman are holding it down on defence but offensively, they're sorely needed. They've both shown flashes of the potential to contribute but the consistency is lacking. Thought I heard the commentators talk about Stuelke being on minutes restriction. Not sure if that is something that's effecting her play. Marshall seems to be in a funk, similar to last season. Hopefully it's not for too long as Iowa is going to need her during conference play.

Reaction Score
last night isn't indicative of her whole career. Her career shooting percentage is much higher. The Cy-Hawk series is a pretty intense matchup which includes all sports that each school plays so the rivalry is amped up. I usually, don't put too much stock in statistics from these games.

Since Bill Fennelly has been at ISU he has only lost to 9 out of conference teams. That is a pretty impressive home record. Iowa has a few of those wins. So it is pretty impressive to come out with a win regardless of what either team's ranking is.

Reaction Score
According to her career stats she has 2130 FGA and made 990 of them at an almost 47% Clip. This season she is shooting at a 46% clip with 100 FG and 218 FGA.
I was being togue in cheek. She is a great shooter. But speaking of shooting %, she is STD ranked 7th on her team, interesting.

Reaction Score
I was being togue in cheek. She is a great shooter. But speaking of shooting %, she is STD ranked 7th on her team, interesting.
What can I say, Iowa has a great team of shooters. Sometimes they struggle. Nobody is perfect.

Reaction Score
The comment made me look at other games and Iowa has a bunch of games on Peacock. Assuming as a Hawk fan you will now need Big Ten, Fox and Paramount to watch the games. At last the Big Ten network games are mostly on the big channel and not one their + subscription. If I want to watch my local Gopher I have to go to the game or do a Big Ten Plus since they don't get on the main channel. As a casual fan it wasn't worth it last year.

Everyone now, like the pro leagues, farms out a bunch of games to Apple, Paramount, Peacock, Amazon, whoever) so your team subscription has all sorts of holes in it requiring you to add more and more subscriptions. Boo that.

FYI - the Big 10 championship game will be on CBS in addition to streaming.

Reaction Score

If Clark isn't POY, then who is?

Reaction Score
Cyclones to watch would be freshmen Addy Brown and Audi Crooks. Addy Brown has been as good as expected. Post Audi Crooks has looked better than I thought she would albeit against teams without much post presence. Fun matchups if Hawks Steulke is back will be Stuelke/Brown and Goodman versus Crooks.
I finally got around to watching the Iowa-ISU game. The broadcast was entirely setup to celebrate Caitlin breaking 3,000 pts, but I had zero interest in this. Rebecca Lobo paid attention to Audi Crooks, who was also the main interest for me. I watched a couple of her HS games and was very impressed by her strength and stamina. She regularly played entire games in HS and was the go-to player on almost every play. If they were pressed, they’d use her to get the ball up the court.

ISU plays her about 20 mins/g because they’re worried about her stamina at D1 speed. This may be reasonable, though I expect she’ll be up to 25-30 mins soon enough. She has a soft touch and is a natural rebounder. Like Alyssa Pili, she has really strong hands and doesn’t often fumble the ball. She’s not as quick as Pili, but she’s about 3” taller. It looks like ISU doesn’t have the guard play to really make use of Crooks. You’d think they’d run screens off her as much as they can. But their guards don’t seem to know how to use a screen. Maybe when Emily Ryan returns this will change. If ISU is going to do anything this year, it will depend on Crooks.

Reaction Score
If Clark isn't POY, then who is?
You’re kidding right? Paige is the obvious other candidate at her current pace. Of course, there’s a lot of basketball still to be played. It may just come down to who carries their team further.

Reaction Score
You’re kidding right? Paige is the obvious other candidate at her current pace. Of course, there’s a lot of basketball still to be played. It may just come down to who carries their team further.
I wouldn't call Paige an obvious candidate at this point in the season, though she is definitely on the periphery of the conversation. She had a slow start and UConn has lost their big games so far this season. IMO she needs to have a big game against a top 10 team that also results in a UConn win and also consistently perform against good competition to become a contender.

I would argue that Juju Watkins has a better portfolio so far because her team won their big game against Ohio State and she was a big reason why they won. But honestly nobody's portfolio is complete at this point in the season so it's all up in the air.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call Paige an obvious candidate at this point in the season, though she is definitely on the periphery of the conversation.
Everyone is only on the periphery of the conversation at this point if we’re going to analyze records. Paige and Caitlin are the obvious candidates when you’re wearing a turban and thinking about things like destiny. At some point, you’ve got to decide whether to wear an accountant’s visor or a turban.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom