Iowa-Indiana Incredible Finish! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Iowa-Indiana Incredible Finish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some of you need to take off the Uconn colored glasses. I haven’t watched Caitlin enough to know if she whines or not but Nika is the queen of making faces and mouthing off when she doesn’t like something that transpired during the game. To insinuate that Uconn only recruits those that follow the Emily Post rules of comportment is just not true.
Nika has a tendency to not follow up on the transition when she feels that she was fouled with a no call. Love the kids toughness, but to watch her standing over the end line, complaining, when the play is going the other way needs to be adressed.

Reaction Score
Did not see the game but looking at the scoring timeline why didn't Indiana try to miss the FT with 1 sec left?
How about because the Hoosiers wanted to be up by two, rather than take the chance of being up by one.
If Indiana is up by one, Iowa would have had many more options. Maybe I'm missing something here.??

Reaction Score
That was a really good game. The top players showed up and the clutch plays in the 4th quarter were something. I see a lot of comments about missing on purpose which is great in hindsight but if you do they still have over a second and you lose on a 2 pointer so I think Indiana did the right thing. Maybe next time they will make someone other than Clark take the last shot.

Clark is the best player in college right now. She defends, she can pass, she can rebound and she can score. The best part of her game for me though is she will go to the basket and draw fouls. If I was drafting a team though and I could take her or Boston I would take Boston without a second thought.

Reaction Score
Some of you need to take off the Uconn colored glasses. I haven’t watched Caitlin enough to know if she whines or not but Nika is the queen of making faces and mouthing off when she doesn’t like something that transpired during the game. To insinuate that Uconn only recruits those that follow the Emily Post rules of comportment is just not true.
Oh contrare--I make a distinct difference between Nika's reaction to refs and Clark's: Nika is an agitated vociferous barker, but not a whiner. Does Nika complain too much? Probably so, but I guess I can tolerate Nika's barking more than Clark's whining --she comes across as a spoiled child...

Reaction Score
I hope Iowa enjoys this year. I just checked their roster and they have Clark and four seniors in their starting line up. Next year will be Clark…and only Clark.
Their center is a Covid fifth-year player but the other three are eligible to return. There is no reason to believe they won’t.

Reaction Score
How about because the Hoosiers wanted to be up by two, rather than take the chance of being up by one.
If Indiana is up by one, Iowa would have had many more options. Maybe I'm missing something here.??

Not with 1.5 seconds left on the clock.

Reaction Score
I love women's basketball. I love the spread out array of talent that has brought parity to the game. I hugely admire the extraordinary skills of Caitlin Clark. I hope lots of my fellow Boneyarders got a chance to watch the just-concluded Iowa-Indiana game, and the magic Caitlin brought to the finish!
Best game of the year. I kept thinking, in the Uconn bracket is one of these teams. Very good defense,both sides, Offense some of the best and Uconn may meet them?
Maryland and South Carolina was a fun watch. Tough's against toughs! This NCAA Tourney has the potential to draw VIEWERS.

Reaction Score
Best game of the year. I kept thinking, in the Uconn bracket is one of these teams. Very good defense,both sides, Offense some of the best and Uconn may meet them?
With different personnel, we already beat Iowa handily (though they made a good run in the third quarter). In our current configuration, only assuming everyone is well rested, I think it would be a tossup. Same for IU — with the team we had in November it wouldn’t even be close. But now a tossup.

Reaction Score
You hit the salient point, quick rebound, time out and then your options open up from half court only needing 2 to win. You can’t contest the rebound on the missed foul shot for fear of a foul. Not a horrible call to miss the 2nd foul shot but it by no means assures victory with the time out moving the ball to half court. Frankly, the bigger Indiana blunder IMO was playing one person on Clark and having 4 people below the 3 point line essentially inactive. After the defender was picked no one ran at Clark but everyone stood and watched her fire. Not sure that was what the coach drew up but when Clark lined up on the opposite side of the court from the ball, the play seemed very predictable.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Rules experts - on the discussion of whether Clark traveled on the last shot. If the refs had ruled travel, no shot, could that have been overturned if they deemed it not a travel. Conversely, should they have reviewed the shot, and if they did, could they only determine whether it was made in time and could not negate it due to a missed travel call?

Reaction Score
You hit the salient point, quick rebound, time out and then your options open up from half court only needing 2 to win. You can’t contest the rebound on the missed foul shot for fear of a foul. Not a horrible call to miss the 2nd foul shot but it by no means assures victory with the time out moving the ball to half court. Frankly, the bigger Indiana blunder IMO was playing one person on Clark and having 4 people below the 3 point line essentially inactive. After the defender was picked no one ran at Clark but everyone stood and watched her fire. Not sure that was what the coach drew up but when Clark lined up on the opposite side of the court from the ball, the play seemed very predictable.
Great call. I agree 100% with this post. They didn't pressure the inbounder so it was 5 on 4 and they still allowed Clark to get a relatively clean look. Garzon was protecting the lob, but it seems kinda like she went to defend the inbounder after the pass to Clark. It's a great shot and a split second decision. But If she woulda tried a bit more to contest Clark, maybe it would've been an even more difficult shot.

Reaction Score
Yawn. What’s all the hubbub about? It is acknowledged that the game was close throughout and that Clark is an outstanding shooter. But making a last second shot to win a game is not a rarity even in a big game. I recall one shot that they wrote a book about. Let me see if I can recall ..... Oh yes, “Bird at the Buzzer”. That was against Notre Dame to win the Big East Tournament in 2001. There was no advance the ball rule back then so she had to run the ball the full length of the court, stop, pop and win the game. Diana also made a last second shot against Tennessee to win a game. That play is noteworthy because Geno stated that it was the first time he drew up a play to isolate a player. Not to leave out the men, “it’s late, it’s Tate, it’s great”. We have also lost games in the same manner. Remember Victoria Vivians and Christian Laettner

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Did not see the game but looking at the scoring timeline why didn't Indiana try to miss the FT with 1 sec left?
I watched the game and thought the exact same thing. I guess in a game like that where every point counts, that plan of action was just contradictory to everyone's basic thought process. Also, if Iowa got the rebound cleanly and called a timeout, a simple bucket would have beaten them. C.Clark factors into that decision.

Reaction Score
Weren’t seasons shorter too?

Not only were they shorter (LSU averaged about 28 games per year), but the 3 point shot wasn't in play at that time. He averaged 40 shots per game with a mid-40's percentage. He AVERAGED 44 points in his three years at LSU, and probably would have been over 50 PPG with the three pointer. Sadly, only one post-season appearance, as a senior in the NIT. There were only 16 teams in the NCAA's back then, almost all of which were conference winners. Some said NIT meant "Not In Tournament."

Reaction Score
Also, re: the foul/non-foul/non-travel call just before Clark's heroics, they never really showed a good angle on the foul call. The ref facing the play had a great view of the defender's hook of the IU player's left arm just as the pass arrived. She (the defender) then raised both arms so as not to appear to make contact, but even the shot from the baseline (briefly) showed the clear hook. Anyone else see that?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
As soon as I saw where Clark lined up, before the inbound pass, I knew the play was for her.

Watch the replay. There is an Indiana defender, not guarding anyone in the paint, jumping up and down. WTF?

She should have been the person to pick up Clark off a high post screen, so that Clark had 2 people covering her.

A made 2 point shot still gets IU to OT.

Here is an example of making a 2 pt shot, with 1.4 seconds left, for the win.
Go to 1:47.50 time on the You Tube video.

Sunday game in Australia WNBL.

Reaction Score
Oh my…when I initiated this thread, I THOUGHT that all I was doing was inviting my fellow posters to mutually celebrate a magical moment for the women’s game, as well as to mutually celebrate the accomplisments of someone that any but the most outrageously obtuse of fans recognize as a truly great player. I had no skin in the game as to which team won and which lost. Whether or not the nitpickers are correct as to whether or not CC traveled, whether or not there were coaching decisions that might be reconsidered, whether or not this amazingly talented kid is prone to whining…all of these things are entirely matters of indifference to me, and, in my opinion, should equally be of indifference to each of you…solely because they are beside the point. Extract those corks which, I daresay, are causing you discomfort and just credit the moment for what it was. And, most relevantly, ‘twas a moment of triumph for the women’s game. Did it cause one team that played a great game to deservedly or undeservedly lose? Sure…but I don’t know about your neighborhood, but in mine the sun still rose the following morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom