OT: - Interesting Facts (history, geography, science, etc.) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Interesting Facts (history, geography, science, etc.)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Entering last night, MLB teams were 314-0 in 2021 when leading by six runs or more heading into the eighth inning.

Then Seth Lugo and Edwin Diaz combined to make that 314-1.

Reaction Score
My house in Simsbury was surrounded by hemlocks. I read that the woolly adelgid beetle was going to wipe them out. What ever happened to that?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My house in Simsbury was surrounded by hemlocks. I read that the woolly adelgid beetle was going to wipe them out. What ever happened to that?

I don't know. It's your house, you tell us.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Entering last night, MLB teams were 314-0 in 2021 when leading by six runs or more heading into the eighth inning.

Then Seth Lugo and Edwin Diaz combined to make that 314-1.
Nicely played.

You guys should get t-shirts made.

I'm more surprised about Lugo than Diaz; I've always trusted Lugo more.

Reaction Score

One of the best rock singers.

Ronnie James Dio​

Early life:​

Ronald James "Dio" Padavona was born in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, to Italian-American parents from Cortland, New York. His family moved to Portsmouth from Cortland as part of his father's service in the U.S. Army during World War II,[9] and they resided there for only a short time before returning to Cortland. Padavona listened to a great deal of opera while growing up, and was influenced vocally by American tenor Mario Lanza.[10] His first formal musical training began at age 5, learning to play the trumpet.[10] Padavona participated in his high school's band program and was one of the youngest members selected to play in the school's official dance band.[citation needed] It was also during high school that Padavona formed his first rock-n-roll group, The Vegas Kings, which would later be named Ronnie and the Rumblers and then Ronnie and the Red Caps. Though Padavona began his rock-n-roll career on trumpet, he added singing to his skill set and also assumed bass guitar duties for the groups.[citation needed]

Padavona graduated from Cortland High School in 1960. He was allegedly offered a scholarship to the prestigious Juilliard School of Music but did not take up the offer due to his interest in rock music.[11] He instead attended the University at Buffalo to major in pharmacology.[12] There he played trumpet in the university's concert band; however, he only attended the university from 1960 to 1961 and did not graduate.[9] Then he enrolled at Cortland State College but dropped out as well.[13] In a 2000 interview, he stated that he majored in history and minored in English.[14]

Despite being known for his powerful singing voice, Padavona claimed to have never received any vocal training.[15] He instead attributed his singing ability to the use of breathing techniques he learned while playing trumpet.[16]
rock on lol GIF

Last edited:

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Either there is an end to the universe or there’s not. If there is, what’s on the other side (which means it’s not the end)? If there isn’t, how do I wrap my brain around that?!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Either there is an end to the universe or there’s not. If there is, what’s on the other side (which means it’s not the end)? If there isn’t, how do I wrap my brain around that?!
Since there’s no end you can’t wrap your mind around it. You can only place your mind within it.

Reaction Score
I heard a helpful analogy from Neil deGrasse Tyson to aid one in understanding an expanding universe with no "end," although he used it to explain a different concept.

Imagine you live in a 2-dimensional universe on the surface of a balloon. If the balloon is being inflated, your universe is expanding (in 3 dimensions, even though you can only perceive 2). You would not be able to identify an "end" to this universe. (Granted, the analogy is imperfect because, in this scenario, if you travel far enough in the right direction, you would arrive back where you started. I don't understand this to be the case in our universe.)

The concept NDT was actually describing with his analogy is the fact that there is no center to the universe, or, if you prefer, every point in space is the center of the universe. In other words, no matter where you are in the universe, you look around and see that other celestial objects are moving away from you in all directions at the same rate. That is because we live on the "surface" of a 4-dimensional balloon that is expanding.

Reaction Score
I heard a helpful analogy from Neil deGrasse Tyson to aid one in understanding an expanding universe with no "end," although he used it to explain a different concept.

Imagine you live in a 2-dimensional universe on the surface of a balloon. If the balloon is being inflated, your universe is expanding (in 3 dimensions, even though you can only perceive 2). You would not be able to identify an "end" to this universe. (Granted, the analogy is imperfect because, in this scenario, if you travel far enough in the right direction, you would arrive back where you started. I don't understand this to be the case in our universe.)

The concept NDT was actually describing with his analogy is the fact that there is no center to the universe, or, if you prefer, every point in space is the center of the universe. In other words, no matter where you are in the universe, you look around and see that other celestial objects are moving away from you in all directions at the same rate. That is because we live on the "surface" of a 4-dimensional balloon that is expanding.
I'm too dumb to understand his dumbed down analogy.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Oblivion is easy to understand.

You've been dead before. That's what you were before you were born.

It's like that again.

CL82

Reaction Score
Key word I stated is “shoreline”, not coastline. This includes freshwater lakes, etc.
That doesn't change the results in the list, since it expressly includes Michigan at # 9.

CL82

Reaction Score

GIF by Aminé

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom