Impressions of UConn: The March To Madness | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Impressions of UConn: The March To Madness

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next installment.

Reaction Score
I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode and have watched it several times thanks to DVR. I know some BY's have expressed disappointment that certain players were not given greater exposure and I can see why. On the other hand, this is supposed to be a documentary of sorts with "behind the scene" access as the team continues its quest for a another national championship. To get viewership (which pays the bills) one needs to sell the product and you do that in large part through the personalities of its participants. That's what appeals to the casual viewer. This is what happens when game show participants are selected. So who are the most demonstrative personalities on the Huskies? Kia and Lou lead the pack in my opinion, with Gabby not far behind. Pheese and Saniya tend to be on the quiet side, or at least appear to be. Crystal's segment was a nice little side story. Poor kid, probably still trying to figure out how she can get hugged one minute and lambasted the next. It this were "30 on 30", the documentary might have handled things a little differently with more emphasis on who is the team leader, who is the best offensive or defensive player, or who made the most important shot to win the most important game, etc? We're not likely to get that. Instead, we get a fairly long segment on Kia's photo shoot which I'm sure may seem gratuitous to some, but when she is injured in the USC game her loss is simply dismissed as "collateral damage" without any further comment. Welcome to world of entertainment. It is what it is. Frankly, I'm fortunate enough to be able to catch all the SNY shows and am familiar with all the locker room rhetoric and understand each player's contributions to this wonderful ride, etc. I enjoy seeing something a little different, perhaps more so through the general public's eyes. And that's what will sell the product to the casual fan, hopefully bringing in new fans in the process. BTW, for all the complaining about the absence of certain players, I thought the contributions of Shea and Marissa were very much underrepresented. Based upon this episode the public is still wondering who they are and why they're there.

Reaction Score
Didn't he finish with : 4 years of full court (Mo), now we get this. Ouch! But we know already that Dangerfield has had difficulty accepting the need for total commitment in practice. In some respects her performance in the Baylor game may have confused her on that score.
Practice???
upload_2017-3-3_9-53-38.png

We're talkin' about practice???

Reaction Score
I guess. Box out, make the extra pass, hustle, etc should remain top secret......lol

Reaction Score
Wonderful special and really a tribute to what Geno and CD built.

Only one major complaint, no Justine! Justine is a huge part of this season.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Down boy! Easy now! :cool:
Oldude, good try but just look at his monicker...not going to happen, and to be honest, I don't blame him. If only the Yankees would hire her instead of who we currently have...

Reaction Score
LOL. I guess I've finally found a benefit within those so called "Golden Years".
Another casualty of the Golden Years is the effect on our hearing. For example when my wife doesn't listen to a thing I say these days it really is because she can't hear me.....

Reaction Score
Oldude, good try but just look at his monicker...not going to happen, and to be honest, I don't blame him. If only the Yankees would hire her instead of who we currently have...

Do we still have Meredith knockaknockavich?

Kim Jones was amazing it was a huge loss.
I would certainly welcome Justine to Yankees. Looks like Comcast is gettin YES again. Thank god.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Another casualty of the Golden Years is the effect on our hearing. For example when my wife doesn't listen to a thing I say these days it really is because she can't hear me.....
What was that?

Reaction Score
I really liked the episode. We get to see what this season was about minus the All-World players that graduated last year. The show also showed us how versatile Gabby is in life too with her leadership role, cooking, etc. Didn't expect anything else from her ;). I've also learned Crystal (like many before her) is a tough cookie. She's doing and going through her freshman season alone (class wise) and it's definitely difficult. She will be better for it next year.

Reaction Score
The HBO presentation of UCONN basketball is extraordinary, as the producers correctly discerned that Gestalt(whole more than the sum of the parts)is indeed real story line. Singular individual snippets of life on and off the court were woven into the “we” fabric, wining was neatly made the servant of hard work and team success, while players past and present were seen as a community with sustained culture. Coaching was established as the glue holding all together, adding context and perspective along with demand for excellence. Final goals were characterized as the byproduct of team effort, not as individualized road to victory. What a fun watch!!!
I'm with you...I loved it and thought it was exceptional! Focus on what's there, not what isn't. There is still more to come.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom