I'm assuming everyone is content with our play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm assuming everyone is content with our play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought this one was fairly predictable. Coming back from the Bahamas and playing a lesser opponent. I knew they were in trouble when I heard Whaley say yesterday he was still tired from the Bahamas. And he only played in 2 of the 3 games. Not having Martin is also a hit. They looked sluggish most of the game.

Get some sleep and let Hurley kick their butts the next couple days. If they come up with a stinker on Saturday then I'd be worried for next week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was yelling at the TV for Hurley to do one of Calhoun's mass substitution, even if it meant losing the lead.

Diggins
Johnson
Springs
Akok
Cole

Sure they were flat, but at least send a freakin message or try and wake the starters up.

Also is Sanogo the only one they run plays for? Since he's now drawing double teams, formulate a plan to free up Polley, Hawkins or whoever is open. My biggest frustration is seeing players look at Hawkins fighting to get open, and then look to dump the ball down to Sanogo. I've never coached but I wonder if we are running plays or just allowing players to create their own plays. I just don't see offensive sets being run for players not named Sanogo.

Reaction Score
I was yelling at the TV for Hurley to do one of Calhoun's mass substitution, even if it meant losing the lead.

Diggins
Johnson
Springs
Akok
Cole

Sure they were flat, but at least send a freakin message or try and wake the starters up.

Also is Sanogo the only one they run plays for? Since he's now drawing double teams, formulate a plan to free up Polley, Hawkins or whoever is open. My biggest frustration is seeing players look at Hawkins fighting to get open, and then look to dump the ball down to Sanogo. I've never coached but I wonder if we are running plays or just allowing players to create their own plays. I just don't see offensive sets being run for players not named Sanogo.
YES. I was doing the exact same thing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We got the win, right? That's all that matters. We played absolutely awful against one of the worst teams in college basketball. This play shouldn't be acceptable but every game for the last year or two it gets swept under the rug because we squeak out a win. No adjustments throughout the game and we came out flat to start the game, again. There should be standards at UCONN and just squeaking out wins over horrendous teams shouldn't be tolerated. This isn't Syracuse.

lol…what do you propose? Should we march on Storrs? Maybe relax a little before you start a change.org petition to force UConn to win by more or something.

Also, it’s UConn.

Reaction Score
The way the second half started I totally expected 5 bodies at the scorer's table waiting to check in. Send a message and shake them up.

Reaction Score
Gaffney looked terrible getting beat off the dribble multiple times yesterday, but he redeemed himself with a few threes.

Reaction Score
Was waiting and waiting for Diggins, Johnson, Springs and Akok to play some decent minutes too. Maybe they’ll play next year.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Gotta give some credit to the opponent here.... They came to play and were not intemidated in the least.
I agree. I was scratching my head looking at their record of 2-4. They did come to play. I thought they were really good. Sending three's down, they took Sonogo out of the game. Put a lot of pressure. I was telling my wife at halftime. Don't worry they left it on the court the first half, UConn will come out and demolish them. Well no, we didn't. I may be odd man out, but, Maryland looked damn good. Now, for adjustments.....that's another story.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Grambling is going to get smoked, says all the people who expected UMES to get smoked.
I think DH will get them ready if they didn't do that already, individually. Almost getting beat at home. I am still shaking.

Reaction Score
Akok did play and did not do much.

Only Hurley knows why the others did not play.

If Sanogo misses any upcoming games, I would think Hurley would have to give Johnson and Springs, some minutes since the opponents will be a lot taller than UMES. And, Akok will get more minutes.

Diggins, I don't know what will happen.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Our defense looks different. We seem to be scrambling all over the place. I think the fact they stretched out defense so much might give us pause and think about a zone to compact the bodies in the paint where we are much more effective.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
lol…what do you propose? Should we march on Storrs? Maybe relax a little before you start a change.org petition to force UConn to win by more or something.

Also, it’s UConn.
This is an interesting phenomena:

All our Uconn uniforms are all caps: UCONN

https://www.ebay.com/b/Basketball-UConn-Huskies-NCAA-Jerseys/24541/bn_16930273

But the places that sell them are brandishing the title UConn. See link above.

Do we have an identity crisis?

Reaction Score
This is an interesting phenomena:

All our Uconn uniforms are all caps: UCONN

https://www.ebay.com/b/Basketball-UConn-Huskies-NCAA-Jerseys/24541/bn_16930273

But the places that sell them are brandishing the title UConn. See link above.

Do we have an identity crisis?
No, UCONN is a wordmark/logo and is used on jerseys, shirts, etc. It's always written as UConn

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
5 of UConn's 7 wins so far this year are over teams that only have 1 D1 win so far. Auburn and VCU are solid wins, but the rest of the teams UConn has beaten are pretty bad. It has been discussed for years, but UConn needs to stop playing the dregs of the dregs of D1. It is bad for the computer rankings. I don't mind Central because it is in-state, but scheduling the MAAC is a lot better for the computer rankings than scheduling the Northeast or MEAC.

UMES is bad, and that was an ugly game. The worst part is that UMES didn't really do anything all that creative on either end, and they still played UConn close. I don't have an answer, but I do know that UConn will lose a seeding or two if it loses both games next week.

Reaction Score
5 of UConn's 7 wins so far this year are over teams that only have 1 D1 win so far. Auburn and VCU are solid wins, but the rest of the teams UConn has beaten are pretty bad. It has been discussed for years, but UConn needs to stop playing the dregs of the dregs of D1. It is bad for the computer rankings. I don't mind Central because it is in-state, but scheduling the MAAC is a lot better for the computer rankings than scheduling the Northeast or MEAC.

UMES is bad, and that was an ugly game. The worst part is that UMES didn't really do anything all that creative on either end, and they still played UConn close. I don't have an answer, but I do know that UConn will lose a seeding or two if it loses both games next week.

I agree except they did do something we haven't seen this year in that they used a 4 guard 5 out line up. They spread the court and went on one on or looked for cutters. We couldn't stay in front of our guy. They took the shot blockers out the game until the last 5 minutes when Whaley had a few.

Our team when Sanogo gets the ball is to stand around and call for it as he throws up a 10 footer that never have a chance of going in. Since we cleared out for him there is no chance of an offensive rebound. Yet we come down the floor we still look for him. Teams now know to double him and he wont pass.

Reaction Score
I thought this one was fairly predictable. Coming back from the Bahamas and playing a lesser opponent. I knew they were in trouble when I heard Whaley say yesterday he was still tired from the Bahamas. And he only played in 2 of the 3 games. Not having Martin is also a hit. They looked sluggish most of the game.

Get some sleep and let Hurley kick their butts the next couple days. If they come up with a stinker on Saturday then I'd be worried for next week.
I would say that coming up with a stinker Saturday would only add to the considerable worry that already exists for next week.

Reaction Score
I agree except they did do something we haven't seen this year in that they used a 4 guard 5 out line up. They spread the court and went on one on or looked for cutters. We couldn't stay in front of our guy. They took the shot blockers out the game until the last 5 minutes when Whaley had a few.

Our team when Sanogo gets the ball is to stand around and call for it as he throws up a 10 footer that never have a chance of going in. Since we cleared out for him there is no chance of an offensive rebound. Yet we come down the floor we still look for him. Teams now know to double him and he wont pass.
This is a keen observation. Sanogo's misses seldom yield a second chance.

Reaction Score
Hurley’s lack of in-game adjustments regardless of opponent continues to be a disturbing trend. Ok you have a bad half. But how do you not blow the doors out of them second half? Concerning.
He did make changes in the second half by going to three guards and his most experienced big men (Polley and Whaley) and that appeared to be the best lineup for this game. Two starters were on the bench for most of the second half.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Yes and this has been discussed at length on the BY this year. Is it hard to teach a center to pass? Have the staff TRIED to teach him that? If people are taught what to do and don't isn't it time to have them sit down next to the coach for a little discussion? We seem to be going back to stale/slow ball
movement again.

Reaction Score

I suspect that UConn's 6-marshmallow OOC schedule has already cost them a seeding or two. Their SOS is back under 300 and will not get any better Saturday. There are only eight games remaining against teams currently ranked in the Top 40. It will be nearly impossible to bring SOS down under 100 before post-season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What, me worry? It was right about this time in his UConn career when JC’s team was booed off the court.

Reaction Score
Uhm… the fans that didn’t show up last night sucked.
lol. come on man. These fans have no home games they should be excited about until 12/18. If you want fans to show up on a Tuesday night in the cold you can't be playing a team like UMES. Times have changed, everywhere (even Kentucky has empty seats now), and the AD needs to catch on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom