If you are looking for the reason they lost | Page 6 | The Boneyard

If you are looking for the reason they lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Nos, with all due respect I doubt that we could have installed a run and shoot offense in three weeks.

Of greater importance, you know as well as anyone the sacrifices the kids on the team make week in, week out. Add to that the fact that they are putting their bodies in harms way for thirty, forty, fifty plays a game on game days. To do this they need to fully trust the coaching staff and the philosophy that staff professes. How much trust would they place in the staff if out of nowhere the coaches said "you know what we've been saying all along? Scrap that because we think trying something different is really the best approach!"?

Reaction Score
How much trust would they place in the staff if out of nowhere the coaches said "you know what we've been saying all along? Scrap that because we think trying something different is really the best approach!"?

I don't disagree with that. The problem is with all the planning and scheming before gameday which --IMHO--is inappropriate for our offensive efficiency. That's my opinion.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't disagree with that. The problem is with all the planning and scheming before gameday which --IMHO--is inappropriate for our offensive efficiency. That's my opinion.
Fair enough. My opinion is that if we did try a lot of what some people were professing it would have looked similar to a lot of games early last season where we kept giving the ball away. In my humble opinion we did take the best possible approach to win. Save a few missed tackles we would have succeeded.

Reaction Score
In my humble opinion we did take the best possible approach to win. Save a few missed tackles we would have succeeded.

Remember the basketball game where Shabazz hit that last second fall away at home to beat Florida. He ran off the court as a hero. But what if the game played out exactly the same but his shot bounced off the rim. The hordes would be out in force labeling him and the strategy as misguided.

You have hit on the most basic truth of all. If we happened to somehow win yesterday (and we could have) after playing the game exactly as we did---just imagine how the entire narrative would change.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I think he is mediocre to average as a passer. He doesn't have a strong arm and his throws are many times a tick off accuracy wise. The deep throw to Thomas was there for a TD he simply put too much air under the ball.

He does however present a threat with his legs, and the team believes in him. You'd have have been living in a cave the last few years to see he is better than most of the QBs weve had. Remember we only had Cochran for about 5 starts.
I am expecting great strides for BS next season. He has toughness, the ability to run and a decent arm. He can improve with repetitions on his throws. He has a year experience and now knows where he needs to be in terms of accuracy and quick reads,

Reaction Score
Just my thoughts from the other side of the field:

Apparently your former coach focused on big, but not necessarily athletic. Your OL is not good in space or getting to the edge. Our line and LBers tend to be a little undersized, but quick. I would rather have fast versus slow than big versus small.

Your corners are good, but again the big but not athletic thing gets you in the middle. Your LBers have issues in coverage, which is why our slot (#19) and TE had plenty of opportunity. I was upset we didn't exploit it more.

I like your QB, he's tough and didn't make many bad decisions. I didn't see a lot of open receivers for him to hit on the limited number of drop backs he had. I know you guys probably don't want to give Marshall much credit on this, but we do have the #4 pass efficiency defense in the country and we play in a pass happy league.

Bottom line is I agree that you run a boring offense, but statistically we were the best defense you played all year, best scoring defense, best passing defense, best redzone defense, best 4th down conversion defense, and 2nd best in turnovers gained, 3rd down conversion defense and total defense.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is I agree that you run a boring offense, but statistically we were the best defense you played all year, best scoring defense, best passing defense, best redzone defense, best 4th down conversion defense, and 2nd best in turnovers gained, 3rd down conversion defense and total defense.

Thanks for that. Most of us were unaware of your impressive defensive prowess. Makes the result somewhat more understandable. But even with all that, we could and should have prevailed. You out coached us. Enjoyed interacting with your fans. Good luck next year.

Reaction Score

Apparently your former coach focused on big, but not necessarily athletic. Your OL is not good in space or getting to the edge. Our line and LBers tend to be a little undersized, but quick. I would rather have fast versus slow than big versus small.

Your corners are good, but again the big but not athletic thing gets you in the middle. Your LBers have issues in coverage, which is why our slot (#19) and TE had plenty of opportunity. I was upset we didn't exploit it more.

I like your QB, he's tough and didn't make many bad decisions. I didn't see a lot of open receivers for him to hit on the limited number of drop backs he had. I know you guys probably don't want to give Marshall much credit on this, but we do have the #4 pass efficiency defense in the country and we play in a pass happy league.

Game still came down to the last possession.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Apparently your former coach focused on big, but not necessarily athletic. Your OL is not good in space or getting to the edge. Our line and LBers tend to be a little undersized, but quick. I would rather have fast versus slow than big versus small..

UCONN'S former "coach" focused on cashing a paycheck to fund his retirement years.

He is now the D-line coach of an NFL team and the only reason he isn't a colossal failure there is that 1) NFL players are generally self-motivated and 2) he is "coaching" a very talented (Clowney and Watt) and veteran (Wilfork) personnel group.

Reaction Score

Thanks for that hot take.

I'd say Marshall was the 7th best team we played this year. Could make an argument for 9th. Mizzou and ECU can beat Marshall as well. That's not a dig either. Just my honest opinion.

Reaction Score
There has been a lot of well deserve criticism of our offence in our bowl game. However, I think our defense deserves a lot of blame here as well. Our d is the strength of our team. Marshal ran about 6 plays over and over again all game long and our d fail to make any negative yardage stops. Both the defensive line and our linebackers had subpar games. How many miss tackles did we witness? Further Marshal had the ball most of the game. Our offensive isn't efficient enough to score enough points with the amount of times they had the ball.
As far as the offense is concern I understand why Diaco wanted to run our power sets since Marshal has a very good secondary and are a bit undersize at the defensive line and linebacker positions. Again, mistakes bit us in the ass again. Rutherford stop one drive with a complete miss on a block. The next time we had the ball Hopkins missed his assignment which led to Shirreffs being sack. And of course on one of the biggest plays of the game after our offense had gain about ten and half yards on 3 plays ( the referees' terrible marks had it just under ten yards), on a 4th and inches, Knappe decides to move to let the refs know that Marshal was offside. The Refs disagreed and we were forced to punt. Knowing what we are offensively, being behind most of the game, playing the game in a dome stadium and not in windy and cold conditions, it is fair to ask why we didn't use our spread packages more often. If the middle of the field is open ( as appear to be so most of the game), I think throwing to a slot receiver rather than an offensive lineman makes a world of sense. We made it easier for Marshal to play defense. Thomas is one of our play makers on the team. You find more ways to throw him the ball. Our o line did pass block reasonable well against Marshal's front 4. It was only when they ( like all the other teams we faced this year) starting running stunts and blitzes that our pass blocking fell apart.
Next season, I hope we see more spread sets ( and a little less power sets) and take advantage all the talent we have on the team. Our offensive line will have to improve and Shirreffs will have to become more comfortable in the pocket.
Despite this lost it was a good year and next year should be better.
Go Huskies!!!!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Shirreffs has good mobility, is tough as any QB we've had and appears to be a decent leader. That said, he'll never be compared to Aaron Rodgers.
a Marshall DL
Yes, I imagine there are some QB's who could be more effective with our offensive line in front of them but nobody on our roster fits that bill.

I want to add that it was quite disappointing when Rutherford was blown up (by one of Marshall's DTs) early in the game but I am very confident that there are posters on this board who already believe that he and Peart can somehow step in next season as starting OT's and perform at a high level. It would be great if that could happen but realistically it will take some time for each of them and that it will take time is not an indictment on our coaching staff.

Peart committed to UConn at 265 lbs.. He was listed on the Two-Deep at 283. As a 2 star recruit out of Massachusetts, I have to believe his 265 lbs. was not sculpted muscle. So between his verbal commitment and the end of Fall training camp, he probably lost a few pounds of fat while gaining back at least 17 of muscle. He is only 17 lbs. from 300 and that is assuming he didn't physically develop one iota throughout the season. I happen to think that the Two-Deep means very little and while UConn was able to preserve Peart's red shirt, he was still listed at LT-2 every week. I don't recall Cespedes on a single one of the two-deeps. The coaches are the same people who transformed a 60 scholarship 2-win team in 2014 to a 3 1/2 game improvement this past season. If they foresee big things from Peart, who are we, honestly, to question otherwise?

Reaction Score

Not saying you don't have a good defense but we made every team but ucf look like the 85 Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom