Huskies back on campus | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Huskies back on campus

Reaction Score
Where is @dannykuconn when you need him?;) I hope everything is OK and miss his posts.:(
You've probably seen him on TV or in the newspaper, wearing a blue and white wig decorated with the fuzzy dice equivalent of basketballs. He's Danny Karwoski, the University of Connecticut women's basketball superfan.

UConn fans do not just attend games. They toil away online writing for a sports blog called The Boneyard. There, you can get stats, links to all the news stories about UConn women's basketball (and men's basketball and football) games, detailed analysis of a past game or predictions about an upcoming game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nika said goodbye to her parents at the airport this morning. She should be back on campus.
Thanks, Milford. I wasn't expecting Ines in the pics, but was hoping for Nika. Glad to hear she's just a day or two late. Based on my recent experiences with shipping/logistics, could be she was supposed to fly out several days ago.

Reaction Score
Holy cow. That is one impressive looking brace. Gives a whole new meaning to the word.
I believe that brace is a form of knee immobilizer. As the name suggests, it helps prevent unnecessary movement of the knee.

Reaction Score
Not that they all don't put on a happy face, but Dorka most often seems to be the happiest Husky. She has a great smile.
Dorka is happy because Jonathan, the Huskie, was there also! A great pair! I remember the photo posted
of Dorka stretching on the gym floor with Jonathan giving advice and encouragement! Go Huskies.!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When does practice start?
The player practices, workouts, lifting and conditioning drills start the day after they get back to campus.
October

The start of "official" practices goes by this Rule: An institution shall not commence on-court preseason basketball practice sessions prior to 5 p.m. on the date that is 40 days prior to the date of the institution's first regular-season contest.

For UCONN WBB the first game is against Northeastern on November 10th . It is unclear if this rule applies to both men and women because it just says "basketball and institution". Either way UCONN men open their season 1 day earlier than the women or November 9th.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Old picture? Hope so, because this picture shows Dorka in a cast
Yep
B8924ADF-EFC0-430E-BA1B-00F1D8C21427.jpeg

I suppose I could’ve circled Olivia as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The player practices, workouts, lifting and conditioning drills start the day after they get back to campus.

The start of "official" practices goes by this Rule: An institution shall not commence on-court preseason basketball practice sessions prior to 5 p.m. on the date that is 40 days prior to the date of the institution's first regular-season contest.

For UCONN WBB the first game is against Northeastern on November 10th . It is unclear if this rule applies to both men and women because it just says "basketball and institution". Either way UCONN men open their season 1 day earlier than the women or November 9th.
Thanks Coco. That makes it easy to figure out EXACTLY when practice can start. Start on November 10, and count back 40 calendar days.
I get Saturday October 1 @ 5:00 pm. Since UConn's annual "First Night" is not an official practice, but a showcase and a formal player introduction, I don't believe that constitutes as an "official" practice violating NCAA rues. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or if my calculations are in error.

Reaction Score
October

To be specific, it starts 42 days before their first regular season game - which happens to be November 10th this year. So count back 42 days from that date. Since UConn's first game is later than that of most teams, they will start practice later. If they opt to start 42 days (i.e. six weeks) before their first game (as most teams do), then they can only practice five days a week. In total they are limited to 30 days of practice in the six weeks of practice prior to the first game.

Note that prior to the date when official practice begins, players can have limited skills coaching and also strength and conditioning sessions.

Reaction Score

Source? That doesn't seem to match what the Division 1 manual (2022-23 edition) says. See my post above.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Thanks Coco. That makes it easy to figure out EXACTLY when practice can start. Start on November 10, and count back 40 calendar days.
I get Saturday October 1 @ 5:00 pm. Since UConn's annual "First Night" is not an official practice, but a showcase and a formal player introduction, I don't believe that constitutes as an "official" practice violating NCAA rues. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or if my calculations are in error.
Ah... First night does not equal first practice. As you state first night is a public event designed to introduce the team to fans and as such usually scheduled on a night where fans can actually attend. Last year for example it was on a Friday Night and approximately 30 days before the first game which would have been 10 days after "official" practices had started.

Reaction Score
Ah... First night does not equal first practice. As you state first night is a public event designed to introduce the team to fans and as such usually scheduled on a night where fans can actually attend. Last year for example it was on a Friday Night and approximately 30 days before the first game which would have been 10 days after "official" practices had started.

Practice can begin 42 days before the first game, not 40.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is a proposal from 2009. The 42-day rule has been in place for at least five years.
The proposal was fully adopted in 2010. So there must have been an amendment since 2010-which was the last time I had Kids in college that were in college and subject to this. 42 two days it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom