Hurley signs 2-year contract extension | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley signs 2-year contract extension

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He should have everything he needs to compete here.
I think that's what he sees. He has it working on all cylinders at Storrs. Who could ask for anything more!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
in which case ... you have - once again - the JIM CALHOUN dilemma.

He could have gone to South Carolina for more $$$. He was thinking. The UNC, Duke, Kentucky, UCLA blue bloods - quite frankly - won't dip for Hurley. Not the pizzazz. So ... you are talking Football/Basketball Power with dollars. My view is Hurley will never go for that (thought it is always a way for a few million more renegotiated) as he knows the Footprint for recruiting makes UCONN better landing than ... Clemson (for instance).

Not every coach can be Pitino and get guys to Louisville from NYC ... or wherever. That's (ahem) a special talent.

I know this won't be a popular take but, is the NBA the only threat here? In 3 or 4 years guys like Roy, K, and even Boeheim will be considering retirement. Those schools will shell out whatever it takes to get their guy, more than potentially UConn is willing to match in their current financial situation. If Hurley is the best young coach in the nation by 2023, I think we should be concerned about the very low buyout.

Reaction Score
I can't see him leaving for anywhere else. He is a northeast guy , bringing UConn back to form in the Big East. As long as it's college, he will be here coaching. This is his dream job.
Yeah i cant imagine what program or offer he would leave the program for. He has it all here. Great conference, great recruiting and a traditional national power with legit title chances year in and year out. Its also close to home for him. He has it great here. Only way he leaves is for an NBA job and if it becomes the case that he is being coveted for an NBA job then it means we are having big success here. That being said me personally as im sure many of you would agree would like to see him flourish here for the next 25 years.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He makes more money than Boeheim right now. Syracuse is not a threat.
Wow I just assumed he'd be making at least double what Dan is. Are they notoriously cheap over there? They brag about money all the time on their board.

Reaction Score
Hurley signs contract extension

Boneyard response- I'm worried Hurley is going to leave
People are responding to the buyout amounts. It is part of the new deal. And buyouts are in contracts for a reason.

Reaction Score
On the DAY that the extension is announced, people around here find a way to put a pessimistic slant on this. Can't we just enjoy this news for just a bit?? On a nearly cloudless day some of you must go chasing the single cloud in the sky...

Reaction Score
How long before he starts hitting happy hour in WH? (jk)

Reaction Score
Yeah i cant imagine what program or offer he would leave the program for. He has it all here. Great conference, great recruiting and a traditional national power with legit title chances year in and year out. Its also close to home for him. He has it great here. Only way he leaves is for an NBA job and if it becomes the case that he is being coveted for an NBA job then it means we are having big success here. That being said me personally as im sure many of you would agree would like to see him flourish here for the next 25 years.
Happy wife-Happy life.. Pretty sure Andrea has a vote and will always prefer the CBB lifestyle over the NBA lifestyle. Danny has the financial security now to follow JC's model. Might as well settle in and start working on the golf game for the off season or buy a nice little cottage on the Jersey Shore.

Reaction Score
Oh so they can fire him at any point without paying him anything else? O.K. then that makes sense.
It does. It allows him to continue recruiting. Kids often commit prior to the season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Happy wife-Happy life.. Pretty sure Andrea has a vote and will always prefer the CBB lifestyle over the NBA lifestyle.
I suppose if your name is Ozzie or Ward. But Hurley has said in the past he would only leave for an NBA job. I have no doubt that decision would come with full support of his wife. After all, ball is wife.

Reaction Score
I suppose if your name is Ozzie or Ward. But Hurley has said in the past he would only leave for an NBA job. I have no doubt that decision would come with full support of his wife. After all, ball is wife.
Think you're underestimating Andrea's clout in the Hurley household, Wouldn't be leaving UConn for the money. He will have plenty of that-- DH's UConn trajectory (at his age) is closely mirroring JC's career at UConn. Why didn't he go pro as a coach? Loved the Celtics as a kid. Perhaps loyalty-- which is also part of Danny's DNA.

Next step for DH is to convert his excellent recruiting classes into NC banners. I believe he will.

I also think DH enjoys mentoring young people in the game of Life and derives a lot of gratification in watching them grow over their time in his Program.

As for the Ozzie and Ward comment. You will understand better as you grow older and Life teaches you certain lessons. LOL

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And then have to pay him. Why would he leave? His recruiting footprint is the Northeast, specifically NY/NJ. His wife wants to be close to NJ. This is well known.

Edit: His buyout is 6 million prior to April of 2023. I don't know. Seems like a big number to me.
He won't. He is quickly rebuilding UConn into the force it was. One of the many things Calhoun did was establishing UConn as a destination job. Hurley is carrying that forward. His footprint in the Northeast, his ability to get the kids he wants, and UConn back in the big east will allow him to rebuild a powerhouse. Thats all he ever wanted and UConn is the perfect platform for him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As for the Ozzie and Ward comment. You will understand better as you grow older and Life teaches you certain lessons. LOL
LOL, my ass. I'm probably older than you. One lesson I've learned that someone who says "happy wife, happy life" isn't very deep.

Reaction Score
LOL, my ass. I'm probably older than you. One lesson I've learned that someone who says "happy wife, happy life" isn't very deep.
Ever heard of a sense of humor?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ever heard of a sense of humor?
I'm a laff riot. Your phase is something unfunny people think is funny. Besides, you didn't say it for humor you said it to make your point.

Reaction Score
I'm a laff riot. Your phase is something unfunny people think is funny. Besides, you didn't say it for humor you said it to make your point.
'Humor is the good-natured side of a truth".. Mark Twain..

As to whether you're a laff riot. ROFL

Reaction Score
Didn't know you knew her.
I don't but she seems like an awesome lady with a great sense of humor and perspective on life. Danny's a lucky guy and he knows it.

She's a tremendous ambassador for the Program.

You should listen to her podcast if you haven't already.Its hilarious.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom