Hurley signs 2-year contract extension | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley signs 2-year contract extension

Reaction Score
He's buddies with Rothstein, Goodman, Zags etc. It's a great thing after years of what seems like a bit of an adversarial relationship with UConn and the tri-state and national guys.
On first glance it seems totally ridiculous but I'm pretty sure the buyout remains $0 with Edsall.
Oh so they can fire him at any point without paying him anything else? O.K. then that makes sense.

Reaction Score
I don't think that Hurley will be an NBA threat for a long, long time if ever.

The way he coaches doesn't really fit the NBA style. He's about recruiting, toughness, building a great staff, aggressive defense, etc. The NBA is about offensive skill and flexibility and covering the PnR in a variety of ways...Also managing egos. That's just not really how Hurley has operated to date.

Congrats, Coach. Well deserved.
He's hit the lottery at a place he respects and loves. Why not do the Geno thing and just keep chillin' in Storrs?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is ONLY one answer on Edsall. He is a Plug. One that was inexpensive ... and continues to be $. Benedict believes he is gonna circle back to a good program ... and quite frankly, so do I. He is hard to take; but he also is the Football typology that I like. Gristled old school

I also think he didn't get this season, didn't get a chance to see if he can win any games in the new Independent reality. So they give him that shot. I think it's fair to say we think he did an ok job recruiting last year given the circumstances.

Reaction Score
Wonder if the impetus for the extension was getting us to the tourney this year - seems to have been a goal to get us there by year three and would make sense to extend him now that he hit it. Or maybe the extension was coming regardless of tournament this year, and just on our upward trajectory

Reaction Score
Was just going to post that. Why?

Really good question because i have no idea why either, but I don’t know why he was hired back in the first place after he left the way he did SMH

Reaction Score

The way he coaches doesn't really fit the NBA style. He's about recruiting, toughness, building a great staff, aggressive defense, etc. The NBA is about offensive skill and flexibility and covering the PnR in a variety of ways...Also managing egos. That's just not really how Hurley has operated to date.

I was thinking something similar. Not all coaches are made for the NBA. The way Hurley is wired, high strung, highly emotional, I'm not sure that works in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Wonder if the impetus for the extension was getting us to the tourney this year - seems to have been a goal to get us there by year three and would make sense to extend him now that he hit it. Or maybe the extension was coming regardless of tournament this year, and just on our upward trajectory
Positive things usually begin to happen in a successful Year 3 of a rebuild

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Looks like we have found our coach! Great pick!

Reaction Score
Whelp a couple years at least.

The backend isnt that prohibitive and would be paid off by anyone he wanted to jump to. But thats the business of sports and if that was the case in 4-5 years it would probably indicate we were wildly successful over the interim.

Not worried about it. I just find buyouts (on both sides) curious concerning the market.
Yeah I was actually thinking that it's really not hard for him to leave after '22. So he really only has 1 more year totally locked in. The level of school he would jump to from us is basically just high tier football school/ basketball blue blood, any of which could afford $4.5-6 mil buyouts.

Reaction Score
Yeah I was actually thinking that it's really not hard for him to leave after '22. So he really only has 1 more year totally locked in. The level of school he would jump to from us is basically just high tier football school/ basketball blue blood, any of which could afford $4.5-6 mil buyouts.
And then have to pay him. Why would he leave? His recruiting footprint is the Northeast, specifically NY/NJ. His wife wants to be close to NJ. This is well known.

Edit: His buyout is 6 million prior to April of 2023. I don't know. Seems like a big number to me.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I know this won't be a popular take but, is the NBA the only threat here? In 3 or 4 years guys like Roy, K, and even Boeheim will be considering retirement. Those schools will shell out whatever it takes to get their guy, more than potentially UConn is willing to match in their current financial situation. If Hurley is the best young coach in the nation by 2023, I think we should be concerned about the very low buyout.

Reaction Score
I know this won't be a popular take but, is the NBA the only threat here? In 3 or 4 years guys like Roy, K, and even Boeheim will be considering retirement. Those schools will shell out whatever it takes to get their guy, more than potentially UConn is willing to match in their current financial situation. If Hurley is the best young coach in the nation by 2023, I think we should be concerned about the very low buyout.
He makes more money than Boeheim right now. Syracuse is not a threat.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's some good ADing right there.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
He makes more money than Boeheim right now. Syracuse is not a threat.

Hurley likes the rebuilding concept, but yeah, no way he would go there to rebuild Cuse after Boeheim retires.

Reaction Score
I was thinking something similar. Not all coaches are made for the NBA. The way Hurley is wired, high strung, highly emotional, I'm not sure that works in the NBA.
Could be similar to Thibs

Reaction Score

yeah, agreed. also, weird to say given that he is only 48, but he is also sneakily a little old to be a first-time nba head coach these days. lots of young, technocratic assistants and former players getting the call-up these days. that, or old, grizzled nba veterans.

congrats, coach!

Reaction Score
I also have always gotten the vibe that Hurley really enjoys the mentoring part of working with college kids/students. I am not sure he would give that up so easily. Can’t see him as an NBA coach at all. And i don’t mean that in a bad way, I think he’s an amazing coach. But the fit at this level based on his energy just seems like the perfect fit.

Reaction Score
And then have to pay him. Why would he leave? His recruiting footprint is the Northeast, specifically NY/NJ. His wife wants to be close to NJ. This is well known.

Edit: His buyout is 6 million prior to April of 2023. I don't know. Seems like a big number to me.
Yeah I didn't mean to come off like I expected him to leave or anything. Or that he was plotting it. Just that it's not insanely difficult to do so if the situation arose.

I think he's got a good thing going on here. He "bought low" on the UConn brand as it were. He should have everything he needs to compete here. And we the fans should reap the rewards.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom