Hurley postgame video | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley postgame video

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I’m over the whole Bouknight thing. If he wants to sit out, I don’t blame him. Get to the league.

I’m more concerned on how our defense has taken a turn for the worst, how we haven’t adjusted our offense to our personnel, and that we seem to be lacking any energy on both ends if the court.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I have to be honest, after watching the video, I don't come aware with the same despair about Bouk that others seemingly are. I don't think it's his handlers, I'm taking Dan at his word. His surgeon said he needs more time.

If Bouk has discomfort, he shouldn't play. I believe he'll be back sooner rather than later. Although it's certainly plausible it may be a few more weeks. I don't think it's about shutting it down for the draft.

The rest of the team better grow up and fast

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I get the sense that Bouknight's health status and when he can be expected to return are heavily skewed by his prospects as a future NBA draft pick. Nothing against James, but I think we have to consider the bigger picture here, and getting back on the court with the Huskies (sooner rather than later!) may not be as important to some as it is to us.

Reaction Score
So barely walking the ball up the court and running a meaningless weave because we have no outside shooting to even get open is now the game plan? Keeping the game close and running down the shot clock shows no balls or confidence in the squad you have available. The press has been totally half hearted and fast break has become the stone age YMCA league speed.

Reaction Score
DH had no idea how to answer the question at the 2:10 and 9:00 marks and looked shaky throughout the whole presser. This is UConn Basketball. He has to know exactly what is going on with Bouk's medical condition and that comes directly from the surgeon. Lack of institutional control. He blamed the 3/4 press on burning the clock but the weave isn't exactly attacking the hoop. The private john for the presser is a nice touch.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i was mostly complacent aboot the result, given the state of the the current situation. anger and hate are mostly wasted energy as far as im concerned, but when i saw this vid, that changed quickly. our supergenius marketing department doesn't make certain that wherever we go, there isn't always a husky banner, and a roll of duct tape, to prevent this nonsense of holding a presser with the opponents flag behind us? some things are easily corrected with reasonable foresite. pathetic. embarrassing for a fan.
ok, i lied. suffice it to say, anytime i see 'sir stop touching me' on the floor for a significant amount of burn, well, let's just say that game-watching mates start slinking away from me as the fleabag mutts just bolt for any other place. yesterday, when 'mr superstar anyday now' appeared early, those hounds beat feet, to head outside into the cold and now falling snow. we got around 2 more inches.
lovely. as far as the reporters, im still waiting for any of them (4 years!) to ask coach 'polley stinks, and can't rebound, pass, handle, block, dunk, or d. why is it that anyone thinks he brings game to the floor, other than a few, very few, times per year? what's up with that?' iffn anyone answers that question with 'studebakers are cars, too,' i'll just clock 'em, upside.
currently, in conference play, martin is shooting 48% from 3, sir special is at 36%. but hey, and playing minutes twice as many as josh, at least he equals josh in dimes (3!), tho his block total at 1! (6'9''!) is way better than my 3 mutts. they'll only jump for food.
2020-21 BIG EAST Men's Basketball - Connecticut (sidearmsports.com)
but hey! his steals total (2!) is awesome! and having played a lot moar minutes than gaffney in conference, at least his point totals are now only 1 behind jalen. those total free throws by him, 11!, show that he really, really, attacks the rim, too! mebbe not.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Here's the thing with the post game presser.

Pretty obvious Hurley hadn't sat down and broken down game film with his staff before doing this video call.

So, if he knew the guards were slow and abysmal breaking the press and not being aggressive, what did he do in game during timeouts and at halftime to address it?
If he knew his team was being out toughed what did he do during the game to address it and challenge the players.

DH leans towards being a players coach and sometimes a player needs a good ass chewing in public to get everyone else's attention. No, constantly barking at players won't work but never doing isn't a great strategy either.

When your only tool is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. When you don't have a hammer none of your problems look like a nail. Keep the tool box fully functional.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing with the post game presser.

Pretty obvious Hurley hadn't sat down and broken down game film with his staff before doing this video call.

So, if he knew the guards were slow and abysmal breaking the press and not being aggressive, what did he do in game during timeouts and at halftime to address it?
If he knew his team was being out toughed what did he do during the game to address it and challenge the players.

DH leans towards being a players coach and sometimes a player needs a good ass chewing in public to get everyone else's attention. No, constantly barking at players won't work but never doing isn't a great strategy either.

When your only tool is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. When you don't have a hammer none of your problems look like a nail. Keep the tool box fully functional.
He went off on Tyrese but as for in game adjustments there weren't any.

Reaction Score
CV is sorely missing as he was our first scorer to go along with Bouk. We had 2 options on offense at all times to make the big shot. Now we have no one since Bouk is out. That team would have been fun to watch in the postseason. They were robbed by this stupid Covid 19. We are just a team with a bunch of role players right now and not go to scorer.
You hit the nail on the head. This team has no scorers, period. CV and Bouknight were the only players last year that could make highly contested shots. Every team we play has at least one guy that is a legit scorer. Its hard to beat anyone when you don't have a least one guy that can consistently make tough shots.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
He did admit he got out-coached(or as he said "we" got out-coached). So hopefully he can reflect and improve moving forward. I have confidence in Hurley and think he will right the ship. It's weird to think that just over 10 years ago he was a HS coach. The great ones never stop learning and I hope DH will become great here.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
So barely walking the ball up the court and running a meaningless weave because we have no outside shooting to even get open is now the game plan? Keeping the game close and running down the shot clock shows no balls or confidence in the squad you have available. The press has been totally half hearted and fast break has become the stone age YMCA league speed.
"Half-hearted" is a good word for what seemed to me to be the Huskies effort overall against the Friars. The intensity, toughness, and perseverance weren't there. The pauses and postponements, along with the injuries, certainly haven't helped but they need to develop some chemistry quickly and get some fire in their bellies.

Reaction Score
I have to be honest, after watching the video, I don't come aware with the same despair about Bouk that others seemingly are. I don't think it's his handlers, I'm taking Dan at his word. His surgeon said he needs more time.

If Bouk has discomfort, he shouldn't play. I believe he'll be back sooner rather than later. Although it's certainly plausible it may be a few more weeks. I don't think it's about shutting it down for the draft.

The rest of the team better grow up and fast
There is a BIG difference between discomfort and injury. I know BBall is not like other sports but being nicked up is part of an elite athletes life. You can play being nicked up if it doesn’t cause further injury.

I’m coming to the conclusion his team is using the DR as a way to push off his return. At some point enough is enough. Just go to the league and let the team regroup. Waiting for the savior is hurting the team

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
James' "handlers" appear to be engaging in a game of Milton Berle poker and think they've shown enough to win the game of NBA scouts seeing enough of his game film and put him in best position for NBA workouts.

No doubt Bouk could be playing in some level of pain in his non-shooting and dribbling arm and be effective.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
Keep rocking Coach... it’s not hard to see your passion. We’ll take our lumps, but better days are ahead. At least I believe so

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is a BIG difference between discomfort and injury. I know BBall is not like other sports but being nicked up is part of an elite athletes life. You can play being nicked up if it doesn’t cause further injury.

I’m coming to the conclusion his team is using the DR as a way to push off his return. At some point enough is enough. Just go to the league and let the team regroup. Waiting for the savior is hurting the team
Some of that is on coach, right? At some point he has to say "we don't know when or if James will come back, so here's how we win without him." He needs to get rid of the shock value of Bouk not playing. I'm not saying he isn't doing it, but it kind of looks like the guys were surprised and down at the start of PC game, almost as if the injury just happened.

Just my 2 cents worth.

CL82

Reaction Score
James' "handlers" appear to be engaging in a game of Milton Berle poker and think they've shown enough to win the game of NBA scouts seeing enough of his game film and put him in best position for NBA workouts.

No doubt Bouk could be playing in some level of pain in his non-shooting and dribbling arm and be effective.
FWIW, I see this as few groups with inconsistent somewhat conflicting short term goals.

I believe Bouk wants to be out there playing. This is his team and his moment. Not his last moment, but the biggest one to date. On the other hand, he knows that his pro career is life changing for him and his family and doesn't want to be short sighted.

Hurley wants to win, and Bouk would help that happen, but he legitimately cares about his kids and wouldn't do anything to jeopardize Bouk's career. He's hearing conflicting information from James, from the team doctor and, indirectly, from the private doctor. He's got the rest of the team to think about as well. I'm sure he feels as if he's between a rock and a hard place on this.

The team doctors think Bouk can play but they weren't a part of the surgery and have to defer to the surgeon.

The surgeon does not care about the season; he cares about the well being of his patient. He's going to err on the side of caution. He also cares about his liability. He's not going take a risk, even a slight one, that might jeopardize Bouk's career and it's multimillion earning potential.

Just speculation, but I suspect this is why we are getting mixed messages.

Reaction Score
Some of that is on coach, right? At some point he has to say "we don't know when or if James will come back, so here's how we win without him." He needs to get rid of the shock value of Bouk not playing. I'm not saying he isn't doing it, but it kind of looks like the guys were surprised and down at the start of PC game, almost as if the injury just happened.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I totally agree. Waiting every day for a return that doesn’t happen is deflating and it showed. Better to prepare as if Bouk isn’t coming back and if he does it’s a plus

Reaction Score

Just my 2 cents worth.

Although I'm not a fly on the wall in the post-Bouk injury practices and team meetings, I would bet with 99.99999999999% certainty that this has been discussed ad nauseum with the team when it became clear that Bouk would be missing games. Hurley & staff are too good of coaches not to.

Even the most mediocre of HS JV coaches would have the mental acuity to know to have this discussion with their team following an injury to their most important member of the team.

CL82

Reaction Score
Although I'm not a fly on the wall in the post-Bouk injury practices and team meetings, I would bet with 99.99999999999% certainty that this has been discussed ad nauseum with the team when it became clear that Bouk would be missing games. Hurley & staff are too good of coaches not to.

Even the most mediocre of HS JV coaches would have the mental acuity to know to have this discussion with their team following an injury to their most important member of the team.
My guess, and it is only that, is that they were caught flat footed and believed that James would be able to go. I think James wants to be out there as well and may have been optimistic about being cleared. I suspect on a go forward basis they will assume he's out unless they have written confirmation that he's cleared. Lesson learned.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

ok, i'll bite. what is 'milton berle poker?'

CL82

Reaction Score
ok, i'll bite. what is 'milton berle poker?'
I think it has something to do with playing poker in drag, but I'm not entirely sure.

milton berle do not want GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom