How has Smart NOT been warned for this yet? (Marquette vs Creighton) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How has Smart NOT been warned for this yet? (Marquette vs Creighton)

Reaction Score
Absolutely ridiculous:

Hard to run your offense when the opposing coach is actively playing D....

Oh look Shaka Rah-Rah is at it again.

SHOCKED, I am. SHOCKED.

Suspend this clown, Big East. Please. At least Hurley focuses his histrionics on the officials, LOL.

Reaction Score
Nice flexibility.

Hurley would rush him if he did that against us though
This was brough up last year when he was doing similar crap in a game against UConn. I'd put Singare in for a moment and have him lean into a screen against Smart. I'd pay right now to see that.

(Can't risk any injury to Johnson at this point)

Reaction Score
Even if there is no contact, the coach cant be on the court, practically in the middle of the play.

Reaction Score
I admit the whole thing looks hilarious, but at the same time, um, hello? At minimum, Smart should have been sanctioned with a warning.

"Clearly a coaching box warning," one official told CBS Sports. "By rule, coaches outside the box get one warning and it is recorded in the score book."

Smart's spectacle came close to technical foul territory, too. Instead, nothing was issued. And that's the problem. Refs seldom keep coaches in check in this realm, even when they literally cross the line. There's a case that Smart's positioning induced Creighton's Baylor Scheierman to halt himself from continuing to move toward the corner.

"I love Shaka, and if I would've T'ed him up for this, he would've been like, 'You're right,'" one veteran official said. "Some others wouldn't have responded that way."

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I admit the whole thing looks hilarious, but at the same time, um, hello? At minimum, Smart should have been sanctioned with a warning.

"Clearly a coaching box warning," one official told CBS Sports. "By rule, coaches outside the box get one warning and it is recorded in the score book."

Smart's spectacle came close to technical foul territory, too. Instead, nothing was issued. And that's the problem. Refs seldom keep coaches in check in this realm, even when they literally cross the line. There's a case that Smart's positioning induced Creighton's Baylor Scheierman to halt himself from continuing to move toward the corner.

"I love Shaka, and if I would've T'ed him up for this, he would've been like, 'You're right,'" one veteran official said. "Some others wouldn't have responded that way."

" I love Shaka" "If I T'd him up" He would have loved me back with thank you kind sir Ill have another. Danny would have been T'd up (Not if) then T'd up again for complaining and tossed from the game. Scheireman's movement was definitely impacted by Shaka

Reaction Score
Regardless of warning or not, seeing a grown arse coach move like that makes me think there is a touch of envy going on here at the Yard.

Reaction Score

Veteran ref proving they do things according to their personal views rather than what should happen. That’s horse crap. “I like Shaka…” but if it was Dan “who I don’t really like” he would’ve been t’d up and reacted in a way I wouldn’t approve of???

Needs to stop, favoritism. Just do your job please and do it better than most of you have been!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's out of the box when the teams are on the far side of the court. He's not out on the court guarding people when play comes back his way.
That's the difference. Most coaches go outside the box to yell to their team on the opposite side of the court. That's very different from Shaka nearly colliding with players on his own end. If any of them run into him it would be an instant technical.

Reaction Score
We are the wrong fanbase to throw this stone. DH never stays in the box.
Coaches get a lot of latitude (and they should) as long as they aren't interfering with a play or making an ass of themselves (which unfortunately Danny does sometimes).

But anyone can throw stones at a coach jumping onto the court into the middle of an actively play, especially if it direct affects the play (which this did).

I think Shaka is a great coach with integrity, but hopefully the conference called him out on this, even if it wasn't publicly. I would like to see the press call him out though, to which I think Shaka would admit mea culpa.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom