How did you first hear about the Boneyard? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

How did you first hear about the Boneyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the history. Very interesting. You guys found your love and passion. You are now living your dream.

Reaction Score
One time zymurg sent me a case of beer in the mail and it made it to the last mile before the post office accidentally smashed it.

And then threatened to fine or otherwise prosecute me for having booze delivered via USPS.
Fishy won the case of select hard to find imported beers by correctly naming the oldest European brewery. As I remember the selections, they included beers from Sri Lanka, Poland, Brazil as well some from more common locations like England, Scotland, Belgium, and Germany.

Reaction Score
I found it in 2000 or so when surfing around AOL. Someone on a board there mentioned "the real UConn board" and linked to it or said the name and I went and found it.

I've learned a lot here over the years. Going from a guy in his mid 20's to a guy in his early 40's in that time, I've grown up a lot, moved a couple of times, had kids and lost loved ones.

There is a lot of valuable information and advice available here and it is generally a very accepting place if you play nice and keep an open mind. The best advice and life lesson I've gotten from the Yard? There was a poster several years back who used to call his wife his "bride". I can't remember if we had an exchange about it or not but it stuck with me. I love my wife but she can really get on my nerves sometimes. In fact, there were a few times in the last 15 years where I truly thought we might not make it. I have continually found that if I think of her as my bride at the worst times that my levels of patience, empathy and love for her immediately come to the surface. For that alone, this place has made a big difference in my life, her life and the lives of our kids.

On top of that sappy item, there have been many times when I've been inspired by the charity and good will displayed here. Whether it was the donations for Coach Calhoun's send off gift to the UConn Health Center, a board member buying season football tickets for another poster that was tight on cash or all the other little charities supported here. In all honesty, I didn't donate to any of these causes. I donate almost all of my charitable funds to one particular cause that I truly believe in, the Children's Hospital that saved my youngest child as a newborn. I can't imagine my life without her, she is the ultimate Daddy's girl and the sweetest, smartest, most creative person I know. Nonetheless, the Boneyard's giving spirit is amazing.

So, I'm glad I found the Boneyard, and frankly, I don't know what the hell I'd do with my time without it. This place is a true community and offers a wealth of information, knowledge and camaraderie far beyond anything I ever could have expected.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fishy won the case of select hard to find imported beers by correctly naming the oldest European brewery. As I remember the selections, they included beers from Sri Lanka, Poland, Brazil as well some from more common locations like England, Scotland, Belgium, and Germany.

And the worst thing was that it managed to make it from Cape Cod to upstate New York in one piece...and then didn't survive the one mile trip from the post office to my door.

Reaction Score
Jeff Kulas became Jeff K and then JK and then kind of faded away.

He got more into politics. Ran into him on a political messageboard some time ago - maybe the mid 00's (as JeffKulas). Basically said after starting a family, he didn't have enough time in his life for everything and following sports was the thing that gave out.

Then he said, "gotta go - going to watch the Muppets Movie with my kids tonight. Then put them to bed and crack open a bottle of Maker's Mark."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone remember "JKUL" I think his name was Jeff Kulas and he really was into recruiting too. Followed the group through the many boards/servers over the years. The Boneyard has gotten me through many work days!

I remember The Cool One on the AOL board. Besides you two, I remember Chuck who used to "bleed Husky blue." And it turned out he was an 8th grader.

Reaction Score
In Jan 1999 I moved overseas and must have found it out of desperation for Husky news. I really don't remember if I found it before or after the championship though. (I do remember that during that time I usually had to follow scores on teletext and that I listened to the NC game (audio only) via dial up and it ended at 4am. Good times.)

I do remember being in the "fort the ead" thread. When was that?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Brett Rabideau used to run the mailing list at toto.com

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
After endless days and hours of unfulfilled google searching for UCONN recruiting news I finally stumbled upon this gem of a message board. Don't know what I would do without it now and I'm thankful there are so many others to share both the moments of elation and misery with; all the way from St. Louis, Missouri soon to be Louisiana.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Brett Rabideau used to run the mailing list at toto.com
Thats right. I remember being surprised when I realized Brett was a female.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I was on a pizza forum and someone recommended The Boneyard in a thread about "Best Basketball Message Boards in CT."

article-1269288-095fbc16000005dc-551_634x447_popup-e1273007840660.jpg

Reaction Score
I started on the uconn-toto mailing list and then made my way to the AOL and Compuserve boards where Jeff Kulas was the resident recruiting expert. There was also someone named Dnasoft who had a uconn centric recruiting site that really got me into that side of things. From there I think I followed the various migrations although I took Some of 98-99 off (my freshman year at UConn) and only rediscovered the board when I searched online for "older" Uconn fan's reaction to the championship. I still remember that the thread was entitled "Storrs is on fire!" After that I was hooked again and recognized a lot of the names.

Reaction Score
And we coincidentally had Civic Center season tickets in back to back rows, right?
We did, and at some point DoggieDaddy was a row in front of me. I've still got those seats.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
uconndoit said:
In Jan 1999 I moved overseas and must have found it out of desperation for Husky news. I really don't remember if I found it before or after the championship though. (I do remember that during that time I usually had to follow scores on teletext and that I listened to the NC game (audio only) via dial up and it ended at 4am. Good times.) I do remember being in the "fort the ead" thread. When was that?

Fort the ead was on a game chat ( nuzzis chat applet!) I think 2002 maybe 2003. Richz creation.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I was originally on a e-mail listserv for years - I forget the name but somebody here has to remember it. Basically you would send and e-mail to a server and it would distribute your message to everyone who was signed up - or if you got an e-mail from the listserv and replied it would go to everyone. The list started to die as people began migrating to a much more friendly message board format and I followed. I found the Boneyard sometime before the 99 championship because I remember timing it so that my 1000th post was 'We just won the National Championship'. At some point when we were crushing servers, I had access to extra memory modules that I either attempted to or was told it was too late to send to Tom to help his overtaxed server. Any idea what that year would have been? Based on my post rate, I would imagine I found it sometime between 95 and 97.

That was Brett Rabideau's listserv, uconnbball.com. I still have the shirts!

Reaction Score
In 97 the wife and I moved to Glastonbury to shorten wifes commute to Hartford from Fairfield County. I became a stay at home dad with my 18 month old son with time to kill. I think it was through McD's that I found the first version of this place. I've been hooked ever since. Great thread! I too remember the guy who referred his wife as bride (always liked that). Who was that?

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Where is uconnhenry, btw?
Don't know, but he fax'd me the schedule (or was it listserv?) back in 97-98 and it had the URL to this place. No regrets, just a little lost time.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I first jumped on board on the AOL site. Dialed in and argued with Umass fans back in the mid 90s. I subscribed to Husky Blue and White and remember hoping we would sign Kevin Garnett as a recruit. I used to follow recruiting a LOT closer then and go to some local camps to "scout" then report back on the board. Anyone remember "JKUL" I think his name was Jeff Kulas and he really was into recruiting too. Followed the group through the many boards/servers over the years. The Boneyard has gotten me through many work days!

I was going to say that "JKUL" and "Vuce" were the two posters I most remember, and then looked to see who posted this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom