How can we make a tourney run if we can't win a close game? | The Boneyard

How can we make a tourney run if we can't win a close game?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry I don't want to be super negative here, but we had PLENTY of chances to win that game, but we were once again terrible down the stretch against a good team. Bouknight or not, we have been close in games like these, every loss this year has been lost pretty much the same way, a meltdown in the second half. First Creighton loss, 3/6 from the line in the last minute, Game. Johnnies, take their first lead, we miss 4 Ft's down the stretch (last 5:00) and miss 3 threes with a costly turnover inside 2 minutes. Down 1 at half round 2 with Creighton to allow 26 points in the final 10, after allowing 29 all first half. Got beat by seton hall by digging a huge hole early, I don't have to say much about the providence game 2nd half, beat by nova after they were once again outscored down the stretch. Show me a game this year where a team goes on a run, we answer after they take a lead or get really close and then pull away. Depaul doesn't count because that being a 7-point game is nearly as embarrasing as a loss. This team is bad down the stretch. . They can't win games down the stretch, they miss free throws, shots, and there is clearly nothing on the offensive end, look at the playcalls out of timeouts at the end of the game, dogs***. We've won ONE close game this year, one, our best win against #24 USC. We don't deserve a 6 seed, and a 7 seed would be generous, don't compare this tournament loss to the game against Louisville in 2014, that team destroyed a good Memphis team by 20 and beat another good cincy team DOWN THE STRETCH, we won 1 game against a team we were supposed to. Future looks bright, but it won't mean anything if Hurley can't address the consistently sub par play down the stretch in close games.
All I can say is prove me wrong. Otherwise the 'yard will be speculating about next year in a few days.

PS Yes - RJ going down was a tremendous dagger, I think this game highlighted the the fact that he's the most underappreciated player on this team. Issues go way deeper than that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
then let's not play any more close games

200.gif

Reaction Score
Colin G you make some good points. And I agree with you. But that is why we are back in the tourney in March. We shall see if Bouknight can be that kid that can carry us into the Sweet 16. We shall see if Cole and Martin and Sanogo can be those guys that are good solid role players that can step up when the March bells ring. That's the glory of the tourney.

Tonight stung. Bad. And a lot of us are frustrated.

But this team is a sweet 16 team if we are being honest. A couple of bounces one way or the other and we'll be out in the first round or we will be playing for the final 4.

That's why they play the games in March. Hurley has some things to correct. If he wants to be the next Calhoun, now is the time for him to show it

Reaction Score
I'm sorry I don't want to be super negative here, but we had PLENTY of chances to win that game, but we were once again terrible down the stretch against a good team. Bouknight or not, we have been close in games like these, every loss this year has been lost pretty much the same way, a meltdown in the second half. First Creighton loss, 3/6 from the line in the last minute, Game. Johnnies, take their first lead, we miss 4 Ft's down the stretch (last 5:00) and miss 3 threes with a costly turnover inside 2 minutes. Down 1 at half round 2 with Creighton to allow 26 points in the final 10, after allowing 29 all first half. Got beat by seton hall by digging a huge hole early, I don't have to say much about the providence game 2nd half, beat by nova after they were once again outscored down the stretch. Show me a game this year where a team goes on a run, we answer after they take a lead or get really close and then pull away. Depaul doesn't count because that being a 7-point game is nearly as embarrasing as a loss. This team is bad down the stretch. . They can't win games down the stretch, they miss free throws, shots, and there is clearly nothing on the offensive end, look at the playcalls out of timeouts at the end of the game, dogs***. We've won ONE close game this year, one, our best win against #24 USC. We don't deserve a 6 seed, and a 7 seed would be generous, don't compare this tournament loss to the game against Louisville in 2014, that team destroyed a good Memphis team by 20 and beat another good cincy team DOWN THE STRETCH, we won 1 game against a team we were supposed to. Future looks bright, but it won't mean anything if Hurley can't address the consistently sub par play down the stretch in close games.
All I can say is prove me wrong. Otherwise the 'yard will be speculating about next year in a few days.

PS Yes - RJ going down was a tremendous dagger, I think this game highlighted the the fact that he's the most underappreciated player on this team. Issues go way deeper than that.
Tourney run? Lets be happy we're in the tourney! 2nd round would be great.

Reaction Score
Let’s just enjoy our name being called tonight at 6. Crack a beer and just celebrate it.. Our coach and student athletes deserve the recognition for bringing us back to this great tournament .. Lets trust Hurley and our staff to put the players in the best position to win multiple games once we start next weekend. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I doubt we’ll make a run. This team is good enough to get to the sweet 16 but can also be knocked out in the first round.

In year 3 of Hurley, all we asked was to get back into the tournament and he did just that. Our team trajectory long term looks good. Culture looks good. Closing out close games comes with leadership and seniority, which we haven’t had in this pandemic (two stalls and missed our POY from injury). We are VERY close though.

Reaction Score
I doubt we’ll make a run. This team is good enough to get to the sweet 16 but can also be knocked out in the first round.

In year 3 of Hurley, all we asked was to get back into the tournament and he did just that. Our team trajectory long term looks good. Culture looks good. Closing out close games comes with leadership and seniority, which we haven’t had in this pandemic (two stalls and missed our POY from injury). We are VERY close though.
Recruting has been very good as well, and that is a big reason why the trajectory looks good. We had a tough time closing out games last season as well until it finall just clicked and we were able to get some good wins late in the year vs Memphis, Cincy, and Houston. Im hoping they learned a lot from the Creighton game, and they use that loss as motivation.

Reaction Score
I'm more concerned about Bouk's status. We were reeling as a team when he was gone from that injury. Once he returned he played tremendous in his first few minutes back, and it seemed to lift the psyche of the whole team. When he's on we're that much better. But he hasn't been the same - nagging cramp & fatigue problems and constant falls to the floor. He just doesn't seem right.

Whatever it is, we need Bouk to be Bouk if we're going to make a run in the tourney.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think teams just need to learn how to win big games at clutch time, and this team hasn't had a lot of opportunities to learn that because there haven't been a lot of big games. If the COVID shutdown had occurred 3 weeks later last year, UConn would have had that chance in 2020.

Orc

Reaction Score
They just dont have that guy that can make a shot when you need one. Bouknight is good but he’s streaky shooter. Happy to see Uconn in the tourney but imho we are a year away from making a tourney run with a healthy bouknight

Reaction Score
The only thing that truly prepares kids for playing in the NCAA tourney is experience playing in the NCAA tourney. I would be ecstatic beyond words if they make a run and (double rabbits' feet) even win the whole damn thing but, worst case scenario, they'll be getting valuable experience to lay the foundation for our rightful return to being a perennial tournament powerhouse next year and beyond.

Reaction Score
This is a lame take

USC
2nd Depaul
Were legitimately close

1st Gtown
1st Marquette
Xavier
Seton Hall
only not close because we closed out well
Now do the close losses.

This is a fair question to ask, regardless of how many people on here want to whistle past it. But UConn is far from the only good team to struggle in crunch time. Learning how to consistently close out close games is one of the things that separates good teams from great teams.

Reaction Score
then let's not play any more close games

You are absolutely right. I re-heard @GemParty and his son's podcast with JC and one one of the questions was how they rebounded after a close and painful loss.

JC's response? The team needed to go on and get a bigger lead.

Reaction Score
I think teams just need to learn how to win big games at clutch time, and this team hasn't had a lot of opportunities to learn that because there haven't been a lot of big games. If the COVID shutdown had occurred 3 weeks later last year, UConn would have had that chance in 2020.
If we had just played Fairfield and Quinippiac we would have had two more opportunities for big games. Shame.

Reaction Score
Has the BY been overrun with bots? I know we always get more posters after losses but the number of posters I've never seen before in the last 24hrs is astounding with these hot takes...
It's like they forgot we were 7-1 in our last 8 games and playing our best ball in years. The team had a bad game and were still in it until the last seconds

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Team should take a crash course in clutchology and execute it.
@Scoe is on to something here going back to mid-year and the yips. We clamped up against Creighton. It was obvious with so many missed layups, in some cases short-handing or air-balling layups. Guys were hesitant to shoot, hesitant to drive. It was weird. We nu**** up, is what we used to say. Sometimes that happens due to lack of mental toughness, or lack of preparation. I think here it's the former. That's why Hurley continues to recruit real hunters, Kawhi types unimpressed with Jefferson-type chatter. Program is climbing. The recruiting is strong. League had a major lift yesterday with Georgetown winning the title which also ensures four bids from the league and possible signs of league restoration to the days of classic big east. Upwards and onwards.

Edit: Kawhi ( meaning the Claw no disrespect)

dissuaded by: unimpressed with

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom