Hmmmm -- Is Jay Rose Back? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hmmmm -- Is Jay Rose Back?

Reaction Score
Chris Winke (sp) was drafted and played minor league baseball before going back to FSU IIRC. I believe he played for them at the age of 27 or 28. If there's an exception what was his or have the rules changed?

Also, there was that dude that played for South Carolina St this past year and he was 50 something.

? They didn't previously enroll in college and CW also had a medical hardship waiver that gave him an additional year I think?

Reaction Score
Chris Winke (sp) was drafted and played minor league baseball before going back to FSU IIRC. I believe he played for them at the age of 27 or 28. If there's an exception what was his or have the rules changed?

Also, there was that dude that played for South Carolina St this past year and he was 50 something.

As Medic noted there are exemptions / deferments for military service and religious missions.

You can also play one sport professionally and then come back and play another sport in college.

Reaction Score
? They didn't previously enroll in college?

So you're saying any enrollment would pause the clock but not attending would keep it rolling?

Honestly, I don't know all their details. I just know they played well after the 5 years from highschool. I don't think Winke went to college prior to playing for FSU.

Reaction Score
As Medic noted there are exemptions / deferments for military service and religious missions.

You can also play one sport professionally and then come back and play another sport in college.

Gotcha. Thats an odd exception. Kids clock is running while trying to figure life out but if he plays pro ball in another sport he's good to go lol.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If he enrolled at UConn last year, the clock started.

If he enrolled as a full-time student at a junior college or at another four-year school, the clock started.

If he did not enroll as a full-time student at a two or four year school, his clock did not start. However, the NCAA allows only a one-year grace period after your high school class graduates and then the clock starts whether you enroll or not. So no matter what he did last year, his clock will start this September.

If he enrolled anywhere, he didn't play football, so the year in residence requirement is not effect. No worries there.

So...at worst, if Rose wants to attend UConn, he'll have his four years remaining. The only question is whether he has four or five years to play those four years.

Reaction Score
I really hope Jay is back, and is coming back with full force. This kid was an animal in High School. QB/TE doesn't matter this kid will compete. His highlight tape reminds me of Aaron Hernandez. Quick, elusive, explosive, smart, and muscle. Jay was a bully. I think he should play TE. Hell do great at that position.

Reaction Score
I really hope Jay is back, and is coming back with full force. This kid was an animal in High School. QB/TE doesn't matter this kid will compete. His highlight tape reminds me of Aaron Hernandez. Quick, elusive, explosive, smart, and muscle. Jay was a bully. I think he should play TE. Hell do great at that position.

I haven't watched a ton of film on Rose, but the style of his running/cutting reminds me a lot of Tyler Lorenzen. Sharp cuts, clean feet, good vision, etc.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I see Jay Rose as an all star place holder for the kicker. Big upgrade from Tyler Davis. His film shows an accurate deep ball--this will be very important for all of our fake field goals.

Oh wait, I forgot we have a new coach :cool:

Reaction Score
You could join the Army after high school, do three years, then start college and not lose any eligibility until you started classes.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched a ton of film on Rose, but the style of his running/cutting reminds me a lot of Tyler Lorenzen. Sharp cuts, clean feet, good vision, etc.
Thought the exact same when watching the posted highlights today. Though probably not as fast, Lorenzen could fly.

Reaction Score
If he enrolled at UConn last year, the clock started.

If he enrolled as a full-time student at a junior college or at another four-year school, the clock started.

If he did not enroll as a full-time student at a two or four year school, his clock did not start. However, the NCAA allows only a one-year grace period after your high school class graduates and then the clock starts whether you enroll or not. So no matter what he did last year, his clock will start this September.

If he enrolled anywhere, he didn't play football, so the year in residence requirement is not effect. No worries there.

So...at worst, if Rose wants to attend UConn, he'll have his four years remaining. The only question is whether he has four or five years to play those four years.
Is there an exception for things like military service or Mormon missions?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Is there an exception for things like military service or Mormon missions?

Yes, there are exceptions given for religious missions, military service or some foreign services like the Peace Corps. If you're committed to one of those exceptions for more than 12 months, your five-year clock freezes.

Reaction Score
Yes, there are exceptions given for religious missions, military service or some foreign services like the Peace Corps. If you're committed to one of those exceptions for more than 12 months, your five-year clock freezes.
BYU is the perfect example... Those grown men beat the crap out of us at the Rent a few years back...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that when they released a pre-camp roster in August, Rose was listed as a TE. Possible Diaco went back on his word.

Diaco had a story, too. There is just no way for fans to know.

Walk On. Edsall will have a look. Take it to the bank.

Good Luck Jay.

This is the appropriate level response. Be happy the kid has another shot. If he is set on playing QB, I have no doubt Edsall will give him a fair look but don't forget that he ended up here because no other schools were going to do that.

Reaction Score
Look. I'm not getting all excited about a kid who walked away last year for what was reported that he didn't want to leave his home and his girlfriend. If he walks on and performs that's fine but until he actually, you know, shows up, I'm not impressed.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Look. I'm not getting all excited about a kid who walked away last year for what was reported that he didn't want to leave his home and his girlfriend. If he walks on and performs that's fine but until he actually, you know, shows up, I'm not impressed.
Best to slowly back away from the keyboard.

Reaction Score
Seriously, what a jerk for being a kid right out of high school that doesn't have everything completely figured out yet and takes a year to make sure he actually wants to commit to D-1 football.

Reaction Score

Let us know when you are excited. We'll all be waiting with bated breath.

Reaction Score
plain and simple.. that coach we had the past 3 years, used us as his personal petri dish... He knew nothing about being a Head Coach and we gave away all that friggin $$$ for lip service...
put your focus there... putting kids in a position to win on the field of play, when you don't have a clue yourself....

Reaction Score
I think he was smart for walking away from the biggest buffoon of a football coach since Groucho Marx in "Horse Feathers".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since D1 sports controls every moment of your college experience, and he was 18, I think you need to step back and reconsider before saying something ridiculous

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom