Hmmmm -- Is Jay Rose Back? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hmmmm -- Is Jay Rose Back?

Reaction Score
tmp_6285-11312417824.jpg

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He's back as a walk on at first. Will be given a chance to earn a scholarship

And so as a walk on - if it doesn't work out between Rose and RE 2.0, Rose would be free to go to any D1 program without sitting out a year, right? There could be hidden flexibility in the walk-on approach that may have been sought by Rose.

In any event, I said this over the winter and I still feel the same, this kid is a supreme athlete who needs to get on the field any which way possible.

My only concern is that I don't want to disrupt the truly awesome incoming class of QBs. I don't want to see a Richard Lagow ending with any of the three incoming kids at QB who signed an NLI on 2/1. I'd try to convince Rose to play TE/WR and/or get him to understand that on the QB chart he is starting very deep.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look. I'm not getting all excited about a kid who walked away last year for what was reported that he didn't want to leave his home and his girlfriend. If he walks on and performs that's fine but until he actually, you know, shows up, I'm not impressed.

This is a kid who had the maturity to take a step back and examine what was really important to him. He took a lot heat for his decision. He handled it like a man. Found his footing. And now is charting a path forward. I have a healthy respect for him. Wish young Mr. Rose nothing but the best.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And so as a walk on - if it doesn't work out between Rose and RE 2.0, Rose would be free to go to any D1 program without sitting out a year, right? There could be hidden flexibility in the walk-on approach sought by Rose.

This part gets complicated.

In theory, he could transfer as a walk-on, BUT, since he was by definition recruited by UConn, he would have to sit out the year in residence at his new school.

And then it gets weird. Football players are not allowed to use the one-time exception if they're on scholarship. As a walk-on, he could try to use the one-time exception, but whatever school he wanted to go to would not be allowed to recruit him at all.

He would either have to cold-call schools or there would have to be some third-party contact or just plain shenanigans.

Reaction Score
And so as a walk on - if it doesn't work out between Rose and RE 2.0, Rose would be free to go to any D1 program without sitting out a year, right? There could be hidden flexibility in the walk-on approach that may have been sought by Rose.

In any event, I said this over the winter and I still feel the same, this kid is a supreme athlete who needs to get on the field any which way possible.

My only concern is that I don't want to disrupt the truly awesome incoming class of QBs. I don't want to see a Richard Lagow ending with any of the three incoming kids at QB who signed an NLI on 2/1. I'd try to convince Rose to play TE/WR and/or get him to understand that on the QB chart he is starting very deep.
Agree with you, but at the same time HCRE and Lashlee would be crazy to not want to see what he can do with the ball. I think he ends up as a TE, but that doesn't mean he won't see a lot of snaps in spring practice.

Reaction Score
... but that doesn't mean he won't see a lot of snaps in spring practice.
It will if he's not on campus and enrolled in classes currently. Spring practice ends w/ Blue/White game on the 21st.

Reaction Score
This is a kid who had the maturity to take a step back and examine what was really important to him. He took a lot heat for his decision. He handled it like a man. Found his footing. And now is charting a path forward. I have a healthy respect for him. Wish young Mr. Rose nothing but the best.
Maybe or maybe he is just a primadonna who didn't want to be a team player so he quit or a momma's boy who didn't want to move all the way to Storrs or a guy who was pssy whipped and couldn't leave his girlfriend. We will see:
A if he actually shows up for practice.
B if he actually takes the field at practice
C if he sticks around if they tell him he isn't playing quarterback.
If he does all of those things it will be a start.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Maybe or maybe he is just a primadonna who didn't want to be a team player so he quit or a momma's boy who didn't want to move all the way to Storrs or a guy who was pssy whipped and couldn't leave his girlfriend. We will see:

You mad, bro?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This part gets complicated.

In theory, he could transfer as a walk-on, BUT, since he was by definition recruited by UConn, he would have to sit out the year in residence at his new school.

And then it gets weird. Football players are not allowed to use the one-time exception if they're on scholarship. As a walk-on, he could try to use the one-time exception, but whatever school he wanted to go to would not be allowed to recruit him at all.

He would either have to cold-call schools or there would have to be some third-party contact or just plain shenanigans.

thanks for shedding light. so, its not such an easy escape for him, which works to our favor.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Seriously, what a jerk for being a kid right out of high school that doesn't have everything completely figured out yet and takes a year to make sure he actually wants to commit to D-1 football.

What person would want such a kid leading his D1 DB team? Maybe he has it figured out, but a bunch of the QB job is played between the ears.

Reaction Score
But don't you understand they're from Connecticut!!!! Your geographical location determines your skill set, huskyrob. I thought you knew better.
Steve Young was from CT...over rated Ct QB prospect. He had no chance at Div 1 football...Gulp!

Reaction Score
What person would want such a kid leading his D1 DB team? Maybe he has it figured out, but a bunch of the QB job is played between the ears.
It's not like the guy abandoned the team in the middle of the year, he just chose to take a year off and figure things out so I could really not care less. If he is committed this time and wins out a job at whatever position he plays, then I will be more than happy to see him on the field.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's not like the guy abandoned the team in the middle of the year, he just chose to take a year off and figure things out so I could really not care less. If he is committed this time and wins out a job at whatever position he plays, then I will be more than happy to see him on the field.

Like I said, between the ears and I agree.

Reaction Score

Huh?????

Reaction Score
If he enrolled at UConn last year, the clock started.

If he enrolled as a full-time student at a junior college or at another four-year school, the clock started.

If he did not enroll as a full-time student at a two or four year school, his clock did not start. However, the NCAA allows only a one-year grace period after your high school class graduates and then the clock starts whether you enroll or not. So no matter what he did last year, his clock will start this September.

If he enrolled anywhere, he didn't play football, so the year in residence requirement is not effect. No worries there.

So...at worst, if Rose wants to attend UConn, he'll have his four years remaining. The only question is whether he has four or five years to play those four years.

Your post makes way too much sense, almost not fit for the BY

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You might be:

A) An

Select all that apply.

Reaction Score
Huh?????
He reportedly came to UConn last summer but then decided he didn't want to join the team for practice. No official reason given. That is fine. He doesn't owe anyone an explanation. On the other hand I don't have any reason to be excited unless and until he actually shows up and stays whether he is the starter at qb or the back up holder. I admit it is just a feeling but I suspect that if he finds himself on the scout team he will find an excuse to leave again. Hope he proved me wrong.

Reaction Score
Steve Young was from CT...over rated Ct QB prospect. He had no chance at Div 1 football...Gulp!
He wa and he was great but that proved exactly that 1 guy was great. It is no more logical than saying Aaron Hernandez was a multiple murderer which shows that all football players from Ct are murderers. Of course it does no such thing. All we are really saying is that on average the best player from CT won't be as good as the best player from many other places where footBall is a bigger deal with better players and superior coaching

Reaction Score
He wa and he was great but that proved exactly that 1 guy was great. It is no more logical than saying Aaron Hernandez was a multiple murderer which shows that all football players from Ct are murderers. Of course it does no such thing. All we are really saying is that on average the best player from CT won't be as good as the best player from many other places where footBall is a bigger deal with better players and superior coaching
Just stop. Did he steal your girlfriend? You are insufferable

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought he took classes at Central last year or am I mistaken?

I'm not going to hold it against anyone who was bright enough to get the hell away from Bob Diaco. It was my initial response, I just don't have any options.

Reaction Score

I'm not going to hold it against anyone who was bright enough to get the hell away from Bob Diaco. It was my initial response, I just don't have any options.
No I believe he took classes at community college with CCSU rumored as a potential landing spot next year

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I thought he was going to, but I don't know if he did.

As a practical matter, it doesn't really matter unless he was considering red shirting this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought he was going to, but I don't know if he did.

As a practical matter, it doesn't really matter unless he was considering red shirting this year.

Fans of normal programs can worry about things like years of eligibility remaining.

We've got a basketball team that lacks numbers to run a legitimate scrimmage.

Our football program is recovering from six years that have been so mismanaged that Randy Edsall is the oasis in the desert.

It's like Kansas' football program had a baby with Alabama's basketball program and then the parents lost all their money on pork belly futures.

There isn't much to hold onto here - hopefully Jay Rose shows up and want to play.

Reaction Score
I backed his decision last year when he made it..and I will back it now if he comes back. For those questioning what he has eligibility wise..clock starts ticking when he enrolls to take classes. If he walks on and decides to transfer after this season he has to sit out a year at any FBS level school because he was enrolled in school and took classes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom