Herbst must go! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Herbst must go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The fans have not supported football at the Rent! I also went to the Fiesta Bowl and there were hardly any Uconn fans there!

Reaction Score
Yea travel to Phoenix to watch UConn get destroyed by Oklahoma... Ill pass. It was expensive to get tickets through the school and flights werent that inexpensive either.

The bowls screwed up that year. Should have been UConn/Vatech in Orange bowl and Oklahoma/Stanford in Fiesta Bowl or whatever the matchups would have been.

In that scenario both bowls get better attendance and ther is a large population of CT and New England residents in FL

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The fans have not supported football at the Rent! I also went to the Fiesta Bowl and there were hardly any Uconn fans there!
If you believe that, you weren't there. There were clearly more ou fans but there were tons of Uconn fans there.

Reaction Score
Ok had twice as many fans as us there. Maybe we are not ready to be a major football school. Just sayin..........I was there and saw it with my own eyes.

Reaction Score
Herbst wasn't brought in to run the athletic program. though obviously this was a huge fail. But she's not going anywhere. The guy who will ultimately take the fall for this is Manuel. He won't be dumped immediately, but sometime in the next 6-12 months, maybe 18 at the outside, expect to see him depart. maybe to another AD job, maybe even to take a lesser job or job as an associate Big 10 commissioner or something. It is going to be pretty much impossible for him to be taken seriously by big time donors, and the fan base too, after this disaster. Unfortunate but he was handed a bad hand which he played poorly. I suspect this wasn't entirely, or even mostly, his fault, but he will ultimately take the hit.

Reaction Score
Herbst wasn't brought in to run the athletic program. though obviously this was a huge fail. But she's not going anywhere. The guy who will ultimately take the fall for this is Manuel. He won't be dumped immediately, but sometime in the next 6-12 months, maybe 18 at the outside, expect to see him depart. maybe to another AD job, maybe even to take a lesser job or job as an associate Big 10 commissioner or something. It is going to be pretty much impossible for him to be taken seriously by big time donors, and the fan base too, after this disaster. Unfortunate but he was handed a bad hand which he played poorly. I suspect this wasn't entirely, or even mostly, his fault, but he will ultimately take the hit.
And who hired this "rockstar" Manuel?

Reaction Score
Freescooter, I will argue that Calhoun dealt him a bad hand also forcing Ollie on him

Reaction Score

UConn's crowd was also quite pathetic at the Papajohns.com bowl, and that one was always winnable. Less than 5k there. It was depressing. I still had a fun time though. (Rather cheap trip too...did it for about $300).

Reaction Score
OK, if UConn wants to fire Manuel...whatever. I don't care either way. I'm indifferent at this point.

But if President Herbst gets fired for this, I literally will never donate one cent to UConn, ever.

Reaction Score
OK, if UConn wants to fire Manuel...whatever. I don't care either way. I'm indifferent at this point.

But if President Herbst gets fired for this, I literally will never donate one cent to UConn, ever.
That evens things out because I will never donate one cent to UConn while we're still in this mess of a conference.

Reaction Score
you're lying then. I was at the Fiesta Bowl, and there was a good turnout. Not the 3-4K that were reported b0ught by the university. Definitely north of 15K.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Did you ever go to UConn? Fair question.
So are you saying only UCONN alumni donate to the university or have a say in how the university is run? All CT tax payers have a say. Not sure of your point. If that's what you're saying, that's like when NFL players or coaches say '"Shut up. You never played in the NFL."

Reaction Score
So are you saying only UCONN alumni donate to the university or have a say in how the university is run? All CT tax payers have a say. Not sure of your point. If that's what you're saying, that's like when NFL players or coaches say '"Shut up. You never played in the NFL."

No, it's a fair question because I can only expect such fanaticism out of people who never benefited from what the university has to offer other than that.

Reaction Score
Have you seen the transformation of the campus, new buildings, student union, Co-op, business building, pharm building, M&S building, dorms, etc over the past 10+ years.
YES, a new building thrown in ANY vacant piece of land is not impressive which is why Pres Herbst has hired a arcitechural firm to address the embarrassment of the Uconn campus.
Do you have any idea how much money has been put into UConn to elevate it to the academic institution it is today.YES Nevermind driving down 195 towards Willy and seeing a completely new "Storrs center" with high rises and apartments etc or their plans to lease the prison that just closed last year so they can have more lab testing and classrooms for research and whatnot. Point?

They are investing intelligently in UConn as a school. Sorry but athletics are secondary and the real money to be made is still with tuition of regular students. Which is a validation of the ass-backwards thinking that has plagued this state on EVERY level forever! Explain to me then how UNC (as only ONE example) is able to consistently remain a top 5 public University all the while charging less than HALF of what an in-state student in CT pays??

Also CT has the highest debt per capita of any state in the country (NJ is 2nd). Just because NJ spent aimless on Rutgers athletics doesn't mean CT should follow suit. Do you want higher taxes just to spend more money on UConn athletics? I'm WELL aware, so how do you think the new payday from the B1G is going to help in offsetting that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????[/quote]

Do I place value on both of my degrees from Uconn? Absolutely! But to suggest that we save dignity and play nicely while others steamroll us to get to the payday of a big-time conference which will offset these expenditures, your out of your mind!! We aren't UNC of Michigan or Penn State, we don't have the academic track record or reputation that is going to continue if our athletic department is relegated to the Old Yankee conference. It will have MAJOR impact on ANY academic progress we've made in recent years, and not in a good way!

Reaction Score
I did. Graduated in 2009 and have proudly repped the school ever since.

Yeah...not so much. Repping the school is much more than athletics. I have zero confidence in the BoT if they succumb to fanaticism and fire Herbst. She's done wonders to the university in the short time she's been here outside of athletics.

Reaction Score
Freescooter, I will argue that Calhoun dealt him a bad hand also forcing Ollie on him
Not disagreeing with you. Calhoun jerked him around, left a mess of a program behind, then in the end left him with no option for a replacement. He did lots of good things but in the end he became a caricature of himself.

Reaction Score
Have you seen the transformation of the campus, new buildings, student union, Co-op, business building, pharm building, M&S building, dorms, etc over the past 10+ years.
YES, a new building thrown in ANY vacant piece of land is not impressive which is why Pres Herbst has hired a arcitechural firm to address the embarrassment of the Uconn campus.
Do you have any idea how much money has been put into UConn to elevate it to the academic institution it is today.YES Nevermind driving down 195 towards Willy and seeing a completely new "Storrs center" with high rises and apartments etc or their plans to lease the prison that just closed last year so they can have more lab testing and classrooms for research and whatnot. Point?

They are investing intelligently in UConn as a school. Sorry but athletics are secondary and the real money to be made is still with tuition of regular students. Which is a validation of the ass-backwards thinking that has plagued this state on EVERY level forever! Explain to me then how UNC (as only ONE example) is able to consistently remain a top 5 public University all the while charging less than HALF of what an in-state student in CT pays??

Also CT has the highest debt per capita of any state in the country (NJ is 2nd). Just because NJ spent aimless on Rutgers athletics doesn't mean CT should follow suit. Do you want higher taxes just to spend more money on UConn athletics? I'm WELL aware, so how do you think the new payday from the B1G is going to help in offsetting that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

Do I place value on both of my degrees from Uconn? Absolutely! But to suggest that we save dignity and play nicely while others steamroll us to get to the payday of a big-time conference which will offset these expenditures, your out of your mind!! We aren't UNC of Michigan or Penn State, we don't have the academic track record or reputation that is going to continue if our athletic department is relegated to the Old Yankee conference. It will have MAJOR impact on ANY academic progress we've made in recent years, and not in a good way![/quote]

Errr, maybe because North Carolina has more people than Connecticut does, meaning a broader tax base? C'mon, you're just going crazy now.

Reaction Score
Do I place value on both of my degrees from Uconn? Absolutely! But to suggest that we save dignity and play nicely while others steamroll us to get to the payday of a big-time conference which will offset these expenditures, your out of your mind!! We aren't UNC of Michigan or Penn State, we don't have the academic track record or reputation that is going to continue if our athletic department is relegated to the Old Yankee conference. It will have MAJOR impact on ANY academic progress we've made in recent years, and not in a good way!

Errr, maybe because North Carolina has more people than Connecticut does, meaning a broader tax base? C'mon, you're just going crazy now.[/quote]

Really? Thats your answer......

Reaction Score
Yeah...not so much. Repping the school is much more than athletics. I have zero confidence in the BoT if they succumb to fanaticism and fire Herbst. She's done wonders to the university in the short time she's been here outside of athletics.
I never suggested that the BoT fire her.

Reaction Score
Errr, maybe because North Carolina has more people than Connecticut does, meaning a broader tax base? C'mon, you're just going crazy now.

Really? Thats your answer......[/quote]

If you are starting to reject common sense, then yeah...that's my answer. How do you think Michigan or Cal stay up there too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom