Herbst must go! | The Boneyard

Herbst must go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
lol are you being serious?

uconn is actually more than its athletic department, you know.

Reaction Score
Seriously, PP should have been fired and replaced with a new coach. Ollie should have been given a more long term deal. This would have shown the ACC Uconn was serious about athletics. Husky 210 you obviously know nothing about job resposibility. If my actions at my job cause or result in a situation like this someone will be held responsible. We knew this was comin for several years and the University should have invested heavily in athletics during this time.

Reactions: caw

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
1) we need more info on what went down during the ACC voting process
2) my gut feeling - this is 90% Hathaway/Hogan's doing, not enough time for Herbst to clean up (though she did get rid of hathaway)
3) timing really sucked for UConn - Maryland leaving ACC in a year with our NCAA tourney eligibility gone, sucky year for football, more importantly a year before Pitt/Cuse have voting rights

If we find out there's something Herbst should have done and failed to do, then she deserves some blame. But I haven't seen/heard anything to indicate that yet.

Reaction Score
True, hathaway hiring of PP was a complete farce. A good up and coming younger coach should have been hired. I also blame our football fans!

Reaction Score
Seriously, PP should have been fired and replaced with a new coach. Ollie should have been given a more long term deal. This would have shown the ACC Uconn was serious about athletics. Husky 210 you obviously know nothing about job resposibility. If my actions at my job cause or result in a situation like this someone will be held responsible. We knew this was comin for several years and the University should have invested heavily in athletics during this time.

I have no idea how people can possibly think that if UCONN had given a guy with zero coaching experience a long term contract shows that we are serious. A big time program goes out and hires a big time coach from another big time program with experience like Arkansas is tring to do now by going after Miles.

Reaction Score

You do understand that UConn is a state institution and Connecticut is dealing with $1 billion of debt right now?

No way can UConn athletics have spent a crap load of money you are talking about it; would have never been passed or allowed by the state. You are overreacting. This is not the end of hte world and if you read the ESPN article it indicates that ACC took Lville because they were afraid BIG XII might take the Cards and that they can add UConn in the future when they expand again.

None of this matters anyway the world is going to end this month. :p

Reaction Score
Revrat, I agree now is not the time for experiments. Spend the money and get a guy like Shaka if he will come and get rid of the walking dead PP!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
True, hathaway hiring of PP was a complete farce. A good up and coming younger coach should have been hired. I also blame our football fans!
. If only phoenixhusky were in charge none of this would have happened...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
To re-iterate the point methodology alluded to - ACC apparently went for UL because it thought UL would get claimed by the B12. It's a chess piece on a board. The ACC feels they can add UConn later if they decide to go to 16. If this is accurate, and both McMurphy and Fowler are reporting it, then this means UConn not getting in is not due to a failure on the part of Herbst/Manuel, it's due to circumstances. If fans get into a mob and demand UConn fire Manuel, it'll be cutting off our nose to spite our face. (If WM really screws up the KO situation and hires somebody else who winds up sucking worse, or keeps PP around for years of mediocrity, then we'll have a more legit case, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it).

Reaction Score
I have no confidence in her ability! This should have been us!
And exactly what should she have done? Held a gun to the ACC presidents' heads? I'm sure she and Manuel did an effective job lobbying. But the school is clearly fighting an uphill battle in terms of perception with other leagues. As I mentioned on another board, absolutely the worst possible year to be banned from post-season tournaments. You could have Albert Einstein as the BB coach, but the ban would still come up as a topic.

Reaction Score
You do understand that UConn is a state institution and Connecticut is dealing with $1 billion of debt right now?

No way can UConn athletics have spent a crap load of money you are talking about it; would have never been passed or allowed by the state. You are overreacting. This is not the end of hte world and if you read the ESPN article it indicates that ACC took Lville because they were afraid BIG XII might take the Cards and that they can add UConn in the future when they expand again.

I don't buy the talking points one bit. That's the excuse formulated in the last 36 hours. They felt the pressure of losing FSU and when the fans reacted they all felt pressure to take Louisville. The majority of ACC is essentially in the South and that's where the power resides. They want to keep it that way and we didn't make a case for why we are the better choice. Louisville was never the prize they couldn't afford to wait on, but they weren't UConn who showed no fight here.

Reaction Score
CT Mike I would have $$$ucked it up beyond belief. However, I dont make several million dollars a year as University president of Athletic Director do I????? That is not my job! Moron

Reaction Score

NJ has been running in the Red for YEARS and still poured money into the "black hole" of the Rutgers program. Where did that get them? Your either "all in" or sitting on the sidelines, period!! The time for dabblers has come and gone!!

Reaction Score
And exactly what should she have done? Held a gun to the ACC presidents' heads? I'm sure she and Manuel did an effective job lobbying. But the school is clearly fighting an uphill battle in terms of perception with other leagues. As I mentioned on another board, absolutely the worst possible year to be banned from post-season tournaments. You could have Albert Einstein as the BB coach, but the ban would still come up as a topic.

Based on what? I heard the other guys lobbying. They got their fan bases ginned up and had the whole league thinking they're the next Alabama. What exactly did we do?

Reaction Score
Immediate termination is Probbaly not the answer. At a minimum the BOT (or whomever she answers to) need to identify and document everything that she did and did not do because in the end the blame does partially fall to her.

Could she have done more to sell UConn to the ACC? Did she fly down to Clemson and Tallahasee to meet with their Presidents and make our case? Did she drive up to Beantown? We know that they didn't wage a battle in the court of public o

Reaction Score
NJ has been running in the Red for YEARS and still poured money into the "black hole" of the Rutgers program. Where did that get them? Your either "all in" or sitting on the sidelines, period!! The time for dabblers has come and gone!!

Did you attend UConn or do you visit Storrs regularly?

Have you seen the transformation of the campus, new buildings, student union, Co-op, business building, pharm building, M&S building, dorms, etc over the past 10+ years.

Do you have any idea how much money has been put into UConn to elevate it to the academic institution it is today. Nevermind driving down 195 towards Willy and seeing a completely new "Storrs center" with high rises and apartments etc or their plans to lease the prison that just closed last year so they can have more lab testing and classrooms for research and whatnot.

They are investing intelligently in UConn as a school. Sorry but athletics are secondary and the real money to be made is still with tuition of regular students.

Also CT has the highest debt per capita of any state in the country (NJ is 2nd). Just because NJ spent aimless on Rutgers athletics doesnt mean CT should follow suit. Do you want higher taxes just to spend more money on UConn athletics?

Reaction Score
Ha ha nice Jimmy. Live in Arizona in a nice neighborhood and will reitre in two years. Love Uconn! We should never be picked behind a school like Louisville! It should not happen. I hope more than anything Herbst pulls this out and then I will happily eat crow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom