Help Deciding a One-Night Birthday Getaway | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Help Deciding a One-Night Birthday Getaway

How should I celebrate my birthday>

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and speaking of awesome places that just are royal pains to get to (ya cain't get they'ah from heey'ah...'), New Bedford, anybody ever head over (heard of?) to Little Compton? awesome squared, but it really ain't like ol snoop doggs home. nicer, much nicer, but u really have to scramble around to find a pickup game.
highly, highly, rec'd. mellow.

Reaction Score
driving from New Haven to New Bedford is like 2 1/2 hours, somewhere between 130 to 150 miles depending on route. so, add in the boat, and for sumone like me, that's 4 hours, give or take.
me? 10 minutes to Chestah, 30 minutes in air.
i did used to ride my bicycle from Bahston to Glahsta/Rockport often. sometimes, we would jump on the B&M for the trip back.
that was fun.
Understood, I like to drive and did this several times when I lived in Coventry, CT and then Windsor. Both trips are less than 2 hours. Chester would have been an hour for me. I never flew to the Vineyard but would consider that although I would have to plan that better than taking a ferry.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yes. I am. The poll results clearly didn’t matter. The content in the thread did and thus WE DIDN'T NEED A POLL.

We don’t need a Boneyard or ranch dressing or polar bears but we have them because it adds color to our time on earth.

Reaction Score
We don’t need a Boneyard or ranch dressing or polar bears but we have them because it adds color to our time on earth.

Agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
+1 new paltz. Awesome little town with lots to do in a day plus outdoors access

May be biased (see handle) but check out taking the orient point ferry and do a night in Greenport Long Island.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I lost you at “ hotels.com”

Reaction Score
New Paltz, next we’ll have Kingston and Saugerties offered up - Hudson is better than all if those and its just ok. Those places are serviceable, but not destinations to me - admittedly to many they are destinations. If you’re coming upstate it’s Saratoga. Placid, Ithaca, Buffalo, maybe cooperstown (HOF) - i love upstate i moved out of Manhattan for it and spent part of my formative years here, but Upstate is a wasteland unless you have the means to travel and like the outdoors - there are places that are great to eat just not concentrated in a single location. For example, Fort Plain great donuts at Sleepy Forest, good coffee at Highwheel and good food at The Table, but that is it ,the town has shall we say opportunities. I can give you tons of one off places like thstt - Millers meat market for donuts and bbq in Lowville, Casanova in Gouverneur for homemade noodles, Columbus bakery in Syracuse does flats, romas for Utica pie, Vans for Vietnamese in Albany, El Rio Grande for tacos in New Hartford, etc etc. but its a long list of single places and none of those town wouls hols your attention for lore than a hot second outside of Buffalo. Albany is what i call my hometown and its a dumpand if you visit you might get pimped full of lead (bonus holiday prize).

Next time just go to Providence and be done with it as it is nfinitely better than towns that exist from exit 16 to 23 on I-87 North. Food is great, you have city-ish thingto do, outside stuff nit do much. .

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Apparently not much love for Beacon. It's an ideal weekend getaway for me and the wife. But we love sour beers and playing disc golf.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
New Paltz, next we’ll have Kingston and Saugerties offered up - Hudson is better than all if those and its just ok. Those places are serviceable, but not destinations to me - admittedly to many they are destinations. If you’re coming upstate it’s Saratoga. Placid, Ithaca, Buffalo, maybe cooperstown (HOF)
Obviously someone who's never stood in a barrel with swarming yellow jackets to stomp grapes at a Hudson Valley winery while imbibing a cloying local shiraz blend. You don't know what's fun!

Reaction Score
A broadway show and dinner is always a nice option. And you just take the train.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Ironic, seeing how both ranch dressing and polar bears are white… devoid of all color.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Rhode Island is a hidden gem - its amazing how many people outside of NE have any clue that it exists - lets keep it that way.
Taking the ferry out of New Bedford to Martha's Vineyard is not much of a PITA. You avoid any Cape traffic and can be there in 1 hour. Round trip tickets are around $80. I have taken the fast ferry to both Oak Bluffs and Nantucket with my bicycle which costs extra. Never an issue
One of my colleagues from Texas wrapped up a big family trip that started in Providence (water fire), included Newport, Long Island, New Haven (always included as someone noted), then Harwichport, and then New Bedford, where they took the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. They then proceeded to Baltimore and DC. So some of those people figured it out.

My comment was "New Bedford"? You drove past Hyannis and Woods Hole to take a ferry from and stay in New Bedford? It's only an hour or so from me, but there's nothing there I'd go to see.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My comment was "New Bedford"? You drove past Hyannis and Woods Hole to take a ferry from and stay in New Bedford? It's only an hour or so from me, but there's nothing there I'd go to see.
I wouldn't stay there myself, but there is good Portuguese food to be had.

Reaction Score
Taking the ferry out of New Bedford to Martha's Vineyard is not much of a PITA. You avoid any Cape traffic and can be there in 1 hour. Round trip tickets are around $80. I have taken the fast ferry to both Oak Bluffs and Nantucket with my bicycle which costs extra. Never an issue
The ferry isn’t the expensive part. It’s the restaurants and lodging. Redid the back tennis courts a edgartown yacht club earlier this year (before Memorial Day) the house was 3500/week then jumped to 15k the next week. Nantucket we can’t even get a ferry reservation for our equipment but the home owner is letting us use his guest house whenever we can get over there

A day trip is exhausting if you want to enjoy yourself and it’s going to be pricey. Much less expensive to fly to bmore go to OPACY get a hotel and fly back

Reaction Score
The ferry isn’t the expensive part. It’s the restaurants and lodging. Redid the back tennis courts a edgartown yacht club earlier this year (before Memorial Day) the house was 3500/week then jumped to 15k the next week. Nantucket we can’t even get a ferry reservation for our equipment but the home owner is letting us use his guest house whenever we can get over there

A day trip is exhausting if you want to enjoy yourself and it’s going to be pricey. Much less expensive to fly to bmore go to OPACY get a hotel and fly back
I agree about the lodging. I have spent a few nights in both Edgartown and Nantucket but usually in the off-season. We went to Nantucket in late October one year and were fortunate to get great weather. We stayed in a bed and breakfast within a few blocks of the ferry. The breakfast was fantastic. We had a similar experience in June a few years back as well.

Reaction Score
One of my colleagues from Texas wrapped up a big family trip that started in Providence (water fire), included Newport, Long Island, New Haven (always included as someone noted), then Harwichport, and then New Bedford, where they took the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. They then proceeded to Baltimore and DC. So some of those people figured it out.

Water Fire lol!

Only locals can agree that it’s a show. Went a couple years back I’m not sure I’ve ever been so bored for 2 hours of my life before.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Water Fire lol!

Only locals can agree that it’s a show. Went a couple years back I’m not sure I’ve ever been so bored for 2 hours of my life before.
They thought it was cool, but they had brought food and drink and were staying nearby. The first time I went I didn't realize it requires camp chairs, a cooler and wine. So yes, boring. I could just fire up my Solo and drink wine in the backyard and that would be better.

Reaction Score
With the stormy weather predicted tomorrow, I canceled our outdoor Shell and Bones reservation and decided to keep everything centralized in downtown New Haven.

Any good dinner recs on or near Chapel Street. We tried Olea over the winter and loved it, but would like to try another spot. I realize options will be low on a Monday and Rudy's looks like a candidate.

Definitely open to drive too.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
With the stormy weather predicted tomorrow, I canceled our outdoor Shell and Bones reservation and decided to keep everything centralized in downtown New Haven.

Any good dinner recs on or near Chapel Street. We tried Olea over the winter and loved it, but would like to try another spot. I realize options will be low on a Monday and Rudy's looks like a candidate.

Definitely open to drive too.
Where did you end up for dinner, and how was the show?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Why? I've used it to book 4- and 5-star hotels and gotten free nights.
I think A-Dub was implying that you could have crashed at his place.

Reaction Score
Where did you end up for dinner, and how was the show?
Thanks for checking in!

Hotel: The Graduate. Man, I love this hotel chain! After first staying at the fun Storrs location, the New Haven location definitely captures the history of the original hotel. Our room faced Chapel Street, directly next to the Hotel Duncan sign, which was pretty cool to see lit up at night. We didn't have time to check the Old Heidelberg bar downstairs, but it's an excellent hotel.

Dinner: Heirloom. Located inside The Study hotel. Decor was relaxing (it was fun being a few feet above the sidewalk) and the service was good, but the food was bland. Wouldn't try again, but it was a convenient spot to walk next door for dinner during the heavier rains from last night.

The Show: Another great Beach House concert. My fourth time seeing them in seven years. First visit to College Street Music Hall and I really liked it! Very open, sound great, the only weird thing is the awkward railing blocking views from the balcony.

Today: After coffee/breakfast inside the hotel, we spent a few hours at the Yale University Art Gallery, which was pretty amazing, especially since it's free. Their collection is vast and impressive. No way to see everything in one day, so I'll be back.

Lunch: Bnatural Kitchen. We stopped for a coffee here before the show and stopped by today for lunch. I was expecting like an overpriced lunch bowl place, but it was much better than expected. Super fresh, everything made to order and expansive menu for all types of eaters. Nice enough inside for a casual lunch date but also totally appropriate to order out.

Overall, it was easily my most rich experience in New Haven and had a solid time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom