Help Deciding a One-Night Birthday Getaway | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Help Deciding a One-Night Birthday Getaway

How should I celebrate my birthday>

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you go to Camden Yards, given your wife is becoming a Yankees fan, I would actually choose to sit in the bleachers. Last time I was at Camden for a Yankees game (and I am definitely not a Yankees fan), there were plenty of quite talkative Yankee fans who traveled down to Balt in the bleachers. We had a lovely afternoon of give and get banter, much of it amusing. Plus, you'll have easy access to the stands on Eutaw St. where all the decent food is at Camden Yards.

Minor league baseball games are a hoot, especially in smaller towns. So Beacon would be my #2 choice. Obercreek Brewing in Wappinger's Falls is very good, supposedly so is their pizza truck/stand.

Reaction Score
My pick is Camden Yards. Just be advised that it an be quite hot and sticky in Baltimore this time of year. We had a nice box in AC comfort one game when I traveled with a few buddies to watch the Sox and Orioles play. We had cheap flights on Southwest from Bradley on a Saturday afternoon, watched games on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon and returned late on Sunday. I believed we walked to Camden yards and hit multiple bars on our way back to the hotel. It would be a quick Uber as well. The only problem we had was that the Sunday game had a rain delay so we were unable to catch the light rail back to BWI for our flight home since it had stopped running by then.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Block island
bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

prolly around the 3 hour run from Norwalk. you get on the boat over, and in an instant, ur like "road trip! nice! we're going somewhere! cool! (literally)'
beaches, salty summer air, clam fritters,
it ain't Baltimore, and there's always more chances to see the bombers.
they play at least 162 games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Baltimore hands down, but fly Avelo out of New Haven instead of driving.

Flight leaves New Haven Friday morning at 8:00 a.m. and lands at BWI at 9:15; return flight leaves BWI at 7:35 p.m. and lands in New Haven at 8:40 p.m. Should be $50 or less each way per person. We just did that a month ago and it couldn't have been easier.

That will require two overnights but you can catch all three games, or do something else the other days (e.g., I highly recommend the American Visionary Art Museum, one of the most interesting and unique museums we've ever been to).

The game tickets should be cheap, as well as the lodging. Abundant food choices (I can help with other recs).
This.

Southwest also flies through Baltimore and has super cheap flights that are 45 minutes wheels up to wheels down. I drove back once, got caught in metro NY/NJ traffic and Baltimore to CT took 10 hours.

Now? Breakfast with a bloody, taxi to the airport, home in 90 minutes or so.

Also, hit Fells Pt instead of the Inner Harbor area. Tons and tons of good bars. Green Turtle, Cat's Eye, The Horse You Rode In On. Can't miss.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and then there's Mystic, or Westerly....
hmmm, let's take a look see
Margin Street Inn |

all this stuff is super pricey, but $375 doesn't seem ... aw heck, flying? Baltimore? New Haven? Hooterville?
u must be trippin, and not in a good way.
there are sooo many coastal hideaway places local that all it takes is a bit of net surfing to lock up an ezpz car trip to a chillaxin place for a fun overnighter.

how aboot this? looks to be around 4 bills per.

Reaction Score
This.

Southwest also flies through Baltimore and has super cheap flights that are 45 minutes wheels up to wheels down. I drove back once, got caught in metro NY/NJ traffic and Baltimore to CT took 10 hours.

Now? Breakfast with a bloody, taxi to the airport, home in 90 minutes or so.

Also, hit Fells Pt instead of the Inner Harbor area. Tons and tons of good bars. Green Turtle, Cat's Eye, The Horse You Rode In On. Can't miss.
Is Bertha's still there? The Black Olive where you pick your own fish?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
One night?

Not going to Baltimore for one night.

I live near Beacon, so that never seems like a getaway destination to me.

One night, relatively close by…how how New Paltz?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and why on earth would you, or any seemingly sane person, want to get in a car and drive to Baltimore for just an overnighter? u got a wealthy relation there who is aboot to kick the bucket and you want to get in a good word before the will reading?
one bad highway situation going there, and ur toast. fried. el crispo.
and iffn flying is a possibility, just check with Chestah airport, or NL/Groton. fifteen minutes to Block. Mahthah's is around 25 minutes, but forget that place. almost everything travelling there is a pain in the butt, except the quickie flight move. that one works.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Plans booked:

Money is tighter than I’d like to admit (summer tutoring dried up til late July) and Baltimore felt like too much too soon prior to a week away from home in TX & AZ so I’ll be using my hotels.com free room voucher (worth $180) for a night at The Graduate, early dinner a Shell and Bones (hat tip to @Umami Zen, reservations made) and then walk from hotel to catch Beach House.

Reaction Score
So you put up a poll, Baltimore gets 56% of the vote and you choose New Haven over it.

Makes perfect Boneyard sense. Maybe you skip the whole poll thing next time.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Plans booked:

Money is tighter than I’d like to admit (summer tutoring dried up til late July) and Baltimore felt like too much too soon prior to a week away from home in TX & AZ so I’ll be using my hotels.com free room voucher (worth $180) for a night at The Graduate, early dinner a Shell and Bones (hat tip to @Umami Zen, reservations made) and then walk from hotel to catch Beach House.
2facrv.jpg

Reaction Score
Fenway Park also. Faster to get more people through a line. Which means they sell more. It’s always about money.
Fenway also no longer has to worry about being robbed by some guys from the Town.

Reaction Score
@8893 has mentioned that spot too. I've never been before and it looks great.

Considering that we might fly to Austin (I'm tagging along to my wife's work conference) and then straight from there to Phoenix (in-laws), a trip to Baltimore just a few days before is sounding less attractive.

However: dinner at Shell and Bones, a night at The Graduate and the Beach House show sounds like a pretty awesome birthday night.
Shell and bones is $$$$ and you can honestly get better seafood meals at other restaurants in new haven without spending that price tag

Reaction Score
Are you mad that the three seconds of thought you put into this has somehow gone to waste?

Yes. I am. The poll results clearly didn’t matter. The content in the thread did and thus WE DIDN'T NEED A POLL.

Reaction Score
same answer, as usual.
Newport, Rhode Island.
i hear that the fish is pretty good there. the sights and sounds, too.

and oh, for youse mets morons watching, we got another one.
'and my wife has become a Yankees fan.'

happy birthday.

I 2nd this call, a good one by Cliffy. Newport great seafood, so much to do, mansions, Cliff Walk etc etc..

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Shell and bones is $$$$ and you can honestly get better seafood meals at other restaurants in new haven without spending that price tag
Tavern on State is great; I haven't been to their oyster bar in Fair Haven yet, but I'd bet that's great, too.

Reaction Score
and why on earth would you, or any seemingly sane person, want to get in a car and drive to Baltimore for just an overnighter? u got a wealthy relation there who is aboot to kick the bucket and you want to get in a good word before the will reading?
one bad highway situation going there, and ur toast. fried. el crispo.
and iffn flying is a possibility, just check with Chestah airport, or NL/Groton. fifteen minutes to Block. Mahthah's is around 25 minutes, but forget that place. almost everything travelling there is a pain in the butt, except the quickie flight move. that one works.
Taking the ferry out of New Bedford to Martha's Vineyard is not much of a PITA. You avoid any Cape traffic and can be there in 1 hour. Round trip tickets are around $80. I have taken the fast ferry to both Oak Bluffs and Nantucket with my bicycle which costs extra. Never an issue

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Taking the ferry out of New Bedford to Martha's Vineyard is not much of a PITA. You avoid any Cape traffic and can be there in 1 hour. Round trip tickets are around $80. I have taken the fast ferry to both Oak Bluffs and Nantucket with my bicycle which costs extra. Never an issue
driving from New Haven to New Bedford is like 2 1/2 hours, somewhere between 130 to 150 miles depending on route. so, add in the boat, and for sumone like me, that's 4 hours, give or take.
me? 10 minutes to Chestah, 30 minutes in air.
i did used to ride my bicycle from Bahston to Glahsta/Rockport often. sometimes, we would jump on the B&M for the trip back.
that was fun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom