Heads Up. Iowa v. DePaul | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Heads Up. Iowa v. DePaul

Reaction Score
So great to watch some wcbb! Can't wait till my Sundays are pretty much filled with quality games. In any event Iowa looked really good at times. The game looks sooo easy for Caitlin Clark. That's the only reason why I think she should go pro after this year. I know it's a Depaul defense but it doesn't look like she's challenged at all. I think she doesn't get enough credit for her ball handling and her physicality. She really uses her size well and she doesn't mind dribbling through traffic. Anyways seemed like a very successful event. It was also great to see some of the Iowa alums and legends get interviewed.

Reaction Score
Everyone in attendance knew what they were getting into. Probably raised $400K for the Childrens Hospital.

Bad Behaviour Jealousy GIF

Reaction Score
Everyone in attendance knew what they were getting into. Probably raised $400K for the Childrens Hospital.

Bad Behaviour Jealousy GIF

Same for the people that showed up to see the Huskers volleyball team, they knew they were not getting good viewing. Both were awesome displays of support for women's sports. Both were just fun events. Huskers had their big bragging rights for attendance but Hawks win more, in my mind, for raising all of that money for charity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pretty cool game for a worthy cause. Salute to all of the fans that watched on the Big Ten Network and to those showed up. 55, 646!! YES!!! Keep growing the game of WBB. Much love and respect to Coach Bluder and Coach Bruno and their programs.

Reaction Score
I can tell you with 100% certainty that if the NCAA calls the Iowa athletic department today and says, "Sorry, that wasn't a record because it was only an exhibition," their response will be: "Uh...so what? Was there anything else we can help you with today?"

Better seats than the thousands of Swifties got for hundreds of dollars this summer. Sure, this was another chance to showcase Caitlin Clark, but it was about so much more. Charity for Children's Hospital, chance to pump up women's basketball, plus what could be the only opportunity for many fans to see the team in person as tickets for the season have been sold out for months.

All for $5 or $10.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
What are the rules for this? I recall D1 vs. D1 (if you think DePaul is D1) no score or stats can be kept. Is this true? Are there other rules, like no spectators, although in another post it was said it would be on TV.

Fuzzy memory, didn't UConn have such a game? I think it was referred to as a scrimmage, not an exhibition game. Is there a difference?
Just to clear it up -

Division I teams can not generally play each other as an "exhibition" unless the game is for charitable purposes. This would be basically a normal-ish game, and yes, box score and all the rest can be maintained - although, of course, being an exhibition, the stats do not count towards the teams regular season. Just the same as if they were playing an non-DI team. These charitable games are rare, but Rutgers is actually participating in one (not televised) in honor of the late Nikki McCray at South Carolina.

Division I teams can compete behind closed doors in a "scrimmage". No records can be kept or released to the public, in fact, generally, scrimmages are sometimes not even acknowledged after they have occurred.

Back in the day, exhibition games were not only against non-D1 schools, but also traveling teams that were put together simply for that purpose. This fell out of favor over 20 years ago, and while I don't know all the details, now some teams don't play any exhibitions, preferring the scrimmage route, while others will do exhibitions to get the fan base out.

Reaction Score
This may not have the same impact on non-Iowa fans, but really well done video for women's basketball:

Reaction Score
This may not have the same impact on non-Iowa fans, but really well done video for women's basketball:

Great video. I watched the game and loved everything about it, especially the "Hawkeye Wave." In my mind, it is the greatest tradition in all of sports because it's something fun for the kids in those hospital windows. Did I cry? You can't prove it. :)

Lisa Bluder has something really special going on there. I know a lot of the flash will leave when Caitlin leaves, but with events like this, the upcoming sold-out season and all the positive attention the program is getting, I don't think she'll have any problems recruiting for a while. I like coach Bluder a lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom