Hawkins next Bouknight? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hawkins next Bouknight?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Isn't that the same for most freshman? I mean until the reality of competition, game play and higher skill levels meet them.

I would guess 'contributions' would be relative or whatever they can give us to help win games or be a better team (practice contributions).

Just saying guys like Bouknight, Kemba, Bazz and are other 'super' frosh seemed to be exceptions as far as immediate impact. Its obvious if they have NBA potential then its certainly doable.
Yep but there was ... a difference in intensity. I kind of feel the same thing here.

Reaction Score
Confidence/attitude and talent go a long way.. But the ball don't lie.. If it's going in the hole..That's all that matters.

Happy to have this Alpha dog on board for the next chapter.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hawkins is the real deal
I certainly hope he is better in many ways besides putting the ball through the hoop
Enough said.............

Reaction Score
Isn't that the same for most freshman? I mean until the reality of competition, game play and higher skill levels meet them.

I would guess 'contributions' would be relative or whatever they can give us to help win games or be a better team (practice contributions).

Just saying guys like Bouknight, Kemba, Bazz and are other 'super' frosh seemed to be exceptions as far as immediate impact. Its obvious if they have NBA potential then its certainly doable.
There have been a lot of freshmen who have had immediate impacts. You mentioned Bazz, for example, but he wasn't even the best freshman on that team. But there are many other examples: Gordon, Ray, Rip, Okafor, Sheffer, Rudy, Caron, several members of the 06 class, etc.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The thing about the woman's team last year was the freshman wanted to contribute right away and were all super competitive. I see the same attitude with Samson, Sool and Hawkins. They want to have an impact right away and seem willing to hard work needed to make that happen.
If - attitudinally - they are anything like Bueckers, Edwards, and Muhl, that'd be totally great.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
There have been a lot of freshmen who have had immediate impacts. You mentioned Bazz, for example, but he wasn't even the best freshman on that team. But there are many other examples: Gordon, Ray, Rip, Okafor, Sheffer, Rudy, Caron, several members of the 06 class, etc.
Underrated freshman producer was Boatright. He came in as a floor general right away. I remember Calhoun praising him about that.

Reaction Score
If - attitudinally - they are anything like Bueckers, Edwards, and Muhl, that'd be totally great.
In past years I have noted some parallels between the 2 teams. Hope that is the case here.

Reaction Score
I'd prefer him to be the best Hawkins, instead of the next Bouknight. Set the bar higher. Bouknight didn't win championships.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You are selling Freeman and Voskuhl short by not mentioning them, as well as El Amin, a year later (I originally had Moore on this list. On the other hand, he was shielded from the pressure on that squad as a freshman.).

Kirk King was the unquestioned emotional leader, along with Ricky Moore, in '96-'97, but when he was suspended for the rest of the season, his portion of the load shifted squarely to Rip, Freeman (his de facto replacement), and Jake.

El Amin gave the program it's swagger again. It was written about in the Daily Campus season preview, but it was obvious by the time they took the court for real.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He won't score as much as Bouk, but he's a better defender. He'll be stupid effecient from 3 and at the rim his sophomore year and get drafted. Mark it down.
Does he lead us to an NC before he leaves?

Reaction Score
Does he lead us to an NC before he leaves?

He may be the best player a year from now, but he isn't a leader in the traditional sense. More Lamb than Bouk in that way.

Championships are hard to earn. There's a lot of luck involved. Sweet 16 or better is my measure for a solid run next year or the next.

Reaction Score
The only lottery Jackson is in, in 2022, is if he buys a Powerball ticket.

Reaction Score
You are selling Freeman and Voskuhl short by not mentioning them, as well as El Amin, a year later (I originally had Moore on this list. On the other hand, he was shielded from the pressure on that squad as a freshman.).

Kirk King was the unquestioned emotional leader, along with Ricky Moore, in '96-'97, but when he was suspended for the rest of the season, his portion of the load shifted squarely to Rip, Freeman (his de facto replacement) Jake.

El Amin gave the program it's swagger again. It was written about in the Daily Campus season preview, but it was obvious by the time they took the court for real.

I would have assumed the "etc." made it clear I didn't intend to mention every impact freshman in the history of the program

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I would have assumed the "etc." made it clear I didn't intend to mention every impact freshman in the history of the program
I disagree, but thank you for your reasoning behind it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He may be the best player a year from now, but he isn't a leader in the traditional sense. More Lamb than Bouk in that way.

Championships are hard to earn. There's a lot of luck involved. Sweet 16 or better is my measure for a solid run next year or the next.
Not my point. I don’t get overly excited about players who leave before they help the program to reach its potential and their own maturity. Drummond, Bouknight, Gay. They are definitely fun to watch game by game and more power to them. Napier leaves after his 3rd year and we don’t come close to an NC the next year. It is what it is and with the wide open transfer rules, program building changes a lot.

Reaction Score

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I honestly think Jackson being confident enough and trusted enough to be the go to go is going to do wonders for his game. He’s going from barely shooting last year to being that guy. With the works he’s putting in I expect a huge leap. Being a 6’6 swing guy with point forward ability and 9/10 will be the best athlete on the floor will have the NBA salivating. Shoot Jonathan Kouminga is going top 5 this year off defense and athleticism alone.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Not directed to anyone in particular, but it's wild to me how many here don't recognize just how good Bouk was/is.
It has to be hangover perception from him coming back and not playing at 100%. He was essentially a guaranteed 20ppg before the injury scoring in ways that only a small percentage of nba stars are capable of and even that may be an overstatement. I’m glad he’s removed far enough from the injury for teams to see his true value and potential. If he ends up in Charlotte or Orlando with Lamelo Ball or Cole Anthony, I really like his chances at superstardom.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom