Have us 'Yarders given up? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Have us 'Yarders given up?

Reaction Score
I get what you’re saying. I think it’s more depressing than maddening now.

I think Ollie is defeated. He’s not going to give up but nothing is working for him and it’s time to let him go.

I like some of our players. But our roster has no balance of players with skill. Let’s take ball handling and shooting for examples:
Adams: average ball handler, average shooter (very good player overall though)
Vital: below average ball handler, below average shooter
Larrier: horrible ball handler, decent shooter
Anderson: bad ball handler, bad shooter
Carlton and Whaley: I love these guys but neither have a jump shot or are able to put the ball on the floor
Polley: below average ball handler and shooter..maybe has potential in both areas but plays with no confidence.
Everyone else: unable to do either.

Ollie is trying. Some of the sets he ran last night were pretty good. He’s realizing he has to call timeouts to stop a run now but yesterday he called two timeouts when Adams seemed to have a semi- fast break. Nothing is working for him even when he’s trying to do the right thing and it’s time for a change after this season. I believe in a couple years we will be giving him credit for finding guys like Carlton and Whaley and the new recruits (if they stay committed). But it’s that time.
Anderson is a decent ball handler. He handles the ball a lot and can create offense. He is an atrocious shooter and takes some awful shots. If Jalen is an average shooter I don’t see how you can say vital is bad. He is average. Unfortunately he can’t create offense to save his life so when his shot is off it looks worst.

Reaction Score
I watch every game. It's a bad season primarily due to lack of talent, lack of experience, and lack of cohesion. We have 3 guys who can dribble, but none are true point guard and it kills the team. We were supposed to have 2 PGs on the team this year with Gilbert and MAL and now we have none. We have 2 guys that have played at least one season as teammates.

If Adams and Larrier come back and with Gilbert and the new recruits, we will have better talent, more experience, and improved cohesion.

Reaction Score
Last night at about 9:20 my wife looks at me and kindly asked, " do you mind if I put real housewives on?" Already defeated, I said sure and never looked back. I knew I didn't have to.

Reaction Score
I forgot that we were playing and came across the score on my computer. My TV was already on mute in the background, I knew it was a close game with about 7 minutes left, and I didn't even change the channel. Remote right next to me. I wish I were joking. I checked back in a half hour and saw that we lost. There was no change in heart rate. Wasn't nervous to check, no reaction to score, just went back to my other tab.

Reaction Score
Anything is possible in sports, US hockey vs Russians. If we beat Cincy on Saturday it will be called “Miracle on Polished Oak”. Who looks in the stands for their father?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
My hope at this point is that players like Carlton and Whaley continue to improve to give us the best chance possible to make an upset run from March 8th to March 11th. Even as unlikely as it seems, this team can still make the tourney...

Reaction Score
For the life of me I can’t figure out why we don’t make adjustments. Pretty obvious Jalen is our best player. I feel bad for him for what he goes through. How about Running quick hitters for him or Larrier? How about a freakin in bounds play? I wonder they go over in their coaches meetings? I would love to be a fly on the wall for one.
Who, pray tell, should handle the ball?

Reaction Score
I have watched the least amount of games since I became a UCONN fan in 1988. I have given up on this team, I just cannot watch them play, it hurts. I watched Hornets vs Hawks last night, Kemba went for 38 with 9 3's.

Reaction Score
OK already, I give!

I watch until I can’t take it anymore. The ‘always looking for improvement from freshman’ factor is all that’s left.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
OK already, I give!

I watch until I can’t take it anymore. The ‘always looking for improvement from freshman’ factor is all that’s left.
And the JUCO mercenaries and grad transfers! Don't forget ALL of them!

Reaction Score
I used to get nervous/excited before any game and angry after the losses.

Now I just feel apathetic.
Just how i feel. I started watching yesterdays game but after about 10 minutes i found my self just going through the motions and realized how disinterested i was in the game and just shut it off and went and played the new UFC game on PS4. :(
To put it into context every body that knows me knows that from Nov to hopefully April if Uconn men are playing i am unavailable for two hours unless its an absolute emergency situation and even then it has to be code red level emergency. Nowadays im tuning out to play videogames:(

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Stop the fight. I really can't believe they still have to play a game every few days. Seems like someone should be able to petition the NCAA to allow us to forfeit the rest of the season based on inability to defend ourselves. At this point goal is to complete the season without a player getting so frustrated with the totality of the bleak situation that they lose control of their emotions.

Nice. It seems appropriate to be able employ the little league baseball skunk rule. The AD walks out onto the court, calls the game and the season and we all get our suicide sodas and Big League Chew and go home.

Reaction Score
My hope at this point is that players like Carlton and Whaley continue to improve to give us the best chance possible to make an upset run from March 8th to March 11th. Even as unlikely as it seems, this team can still make the tourney...
Pass the pipe please

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I've missed more games this season than in the past 10 years combined. Surprisingly, I've been able to find other things to watch and have been able to cut back on my meds.......

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I've definitely not given up on the program. For years UConn basketball (and to a lesser degree, football) has been something I have been able to get behind and support as a matter of state pride. For all of the problems this state has, it also has many things I like about at and the Uconn MBB and FB programs are among them. That said, it hasn't been much fun the last few years but I am hopeful it will be once again, hopefully not too far into the future. As far as last night's game, the team who wanted it more won. To me it's that simple. I know a lot of Huskies fans don't care for Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin (not entirely sure why except the Bearcats have long been a nemesis of the Huskies) but if you watch his press conference from last night after beating Houston he says a couple of things I think are really important. He says good teams have answers. If your go-to guy isn't getting it done offensively there are other guys who need to step up and make plays. Also, if you listen to the players portion, Jacob Evans says at one point they just basically turned it up a notch to overcome Houston's aggressiveness- he says they just began to play harder and it made the difference. Those are a couple of things the Huskies need.

Reaction Score
I certainly expected more this year. No PG hurts more than anything. At this point the best we can hope for is the NIT. Next years class is ranked 35th by ESPN(not counting Wilson). Carlton is getting better as the season goes on. I haven't seen much that would make me think anyone is going to the NBA. A lot of pressure for the new PG coming in. I am assuming Ollie gets one more year, but obviously could be wrong. Not ready to give up completely, but I do not watch games expecting a "W".

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The struggles of the men's basketball and football team will have a larger impact on the university. Having successful teams was a boom for application numbers. This boosted the quality of student, raised average SAT scores etc. The increase in out of state applicants also had a financial benefit because out of state students pay more than in-state students and international students pay the most. These numbers will decline and that will hurt the university.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom