Have us 'Yarders given up? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Have us 'Yarders given up?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I have been watching since the Whelton years. Just habit now, to see what new depth we can plumb. Imagine if our games weren't all televised, I would get back into reading books more often.

Reaction Score
Just apathetic for the most part. Agaisnt better judgement I check in to see scores, however. Even when watching Mad Max instead of the second half of Temple, I paused the movie once or twice to see the score (ouch, mistake).

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If any of you are UConn football fans the feeling should be familiar.

Low expectations and somehow they manage to even break those low expectations.
Oh yeah, there's a category of posts that make me want to just reply, "Ouch."

Reaction Score
I’m waiting for KO to turn heel and start acting more like Lavar Ball... but he’s too much of a ***** to do that.

Reaction Score
Just waiting for the change. Took me a while out of loyalty but there's no doubt we need it. Do whatever it takes but the sport id too valuable as a marketing tool for us to not spend the money.

Reaction Score
I've had basketball tickets off / on (mostly on) for the past 30 years... Thinking that it's partly because of my age and things in life/family take on more importance than UConn sports, but the entire athletic program beat-down that we've taken with conference affiliation, NCAA probation / investigations, lack of competitive showings in our 2 most important sports, and apathy towards the AAC teams that we play, has just shut my interest off.

With the god-awful football home schedule next year and the likelihood of a complete player / coaching make over in MBB, I just can't see myself spending the time/$$ to buy season tickets..

Reaction Score
Turned the game off st halftime as I’ve been fighting a cold and decided sleep was more necessary. In the past I would have powered through it. As I checked the score this morning, I was both happy and sad about my decision. This season is lost.

Reaction Score
I’ll also note that the NCAA and their actions over the last 8 years have really soured me on college sports in general.

It’s more fun watching the names I saw from 08-14 now in the NBA watching their careers play out (and the games are simply far more entertaining).

Reaction Score
Didn't watch a single second last night (mostly because I was too tired), but I wasn't staying up anyway for another 2 hours of another crapfest. Just want this season to be over and see changes made. This downward spiral we've been on the last couple years just wears on you after a while.

Horrible sports year for the 2 sports teams I care about most - UConn football & men's basketball.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've had basketball tickets off / on (mostly on) for the past 30 years... Thinking that it's partly because of my age and things in life/family take on more importance than UConn sports, but the entire athletic program beat-down that we've taken with conference affiliation, NCAA probation / investigations, lack of competitive showings in our 2 most important sports, and apathy towards the AAC teams that we play, has just shut my interest off.

With the god-awful football home schedule next year and the likelihood of a complete player / coaching make over in MBB, I just can't see myself spending the time/$$ to buy season tickets..
Okay, that's an, "Ouch," and a, "TV version of me," and an "Are you reading, Mr. Benedict?" all rolled into one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Pretty much the same here. I am still more interested in UConn basketball than most people, but I am less interested in the games right now than I have ever been since I first became a fan almost 35 years ago. I just want this phase to pass as quickly as possible and get on to the next one.

Kind of like vomiting bile and dry heaving at the end of a stomach bug.

It's eerily similar to how I feel about the country right now.

Yeah, you and Fishy both nailed how I feel about the program. If I had to capture it in one sentence, I'd call it "The death of hope".

Reaction Score
Realize that half the teams in the country have losing records and most of them do it 3/4 of the time. Those programs are used to losing and get excited the one year out of four they have upper classmen that can lead them toward the tournament. This keeps their fans with low expectations satisfied enough to live on hope and faith.

We are not used to this. Even pre JC we were a winning New England program that would fight with UMass or URI for the championship every year. This success and rabid fandom helped lead us to the Big East, where we foundered for years pre JC but never lost the fanaticism.

It doesn’t take much for a few to topple norms causing people like me to fear, doubt and loathe.

Guiltless apathy of a deep love is a crying shame.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom