Has Pasqualoni created a quarterback controversy on top of all | The Boneyard

Has Pasqualoni created a quarterback controversy on top of all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the other problems? This announcing Boyle as the #2, combined with what looks to be setting the stage for replacing Whitmer looks to me as having the potential to be yet another distraction for this season. I have a hard time believing that he is moving Boyle up the ladder with no intention of using him. So on top of everything else, we get to look forward to the fans clamoring for Boyle if Whitmer has a bad game, the team being split, the staff relying on a true freshman, who if he struggles, will have wasted a year...If you plan to use the kid, just do it and never mind all this dancing around the maypole. It just causes problems for all concerned...You would think that a coach with Pasqualoni's experience would not make this fundamental mistake, but it sure looks like he's going to make it. For what its worth, Whitmer sounded like he is trying to be a good soldier, but occasionally makes a comment that suggests he's pretty unhappy with how it is going, too.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No controversy that I can see. Whitmer is the 1, Boyle is the 2. Nothing else to say at this time.

Reaction Score
All he's doing is making it known he's ready to use Boyle if necessary. Boyle's size and talent makes him an equal to Casey's knowledge of the offense. If called upon he's ready to go.

Reaction Score
The coach is reacting to the performance of his starting QB. The controversy would be if he did not react.

Reaction Score
Freescooter, you are completely upside on this. Let's not jump on P. for getting something right.

Competition on a team is a good thing. Players fighting for positions provide incentive for back ups and prevent complacency for starters. I wish P. did much more of it especially at RB.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's comical how literally everything is evidence of gross negligence to scooter. Must be a blast to hang out with.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with competition. I just don't see where it is necessary to do it in public. He has spent the past two weeks throwing Whitmer under the bus. too small, can't see, doesn't throw well on the run, all that stuff. he didn't play well, I get it. Everyone gets it. I also don't care frankly if he makes a change. if he does I hope it works. But the WAY he is going about it is almost guaranteed to create a quarterback controversy and those are usually not good for team morale. No need to put Boyle on the 2-deep, really. It doesn't matter if he's listed #2 or #22. Nobody outside the team really knows or needs to know that he's taking #2 snaps. Even if they saw it, they probably owuldn't know the difference. If you think you need a change, just make a change. You don't have to talk about it. You don't even have to justify it. You just need to do it come game time. When coaches start this kind of dance, it is usually a prelude to disaster.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with competition. I just don't see where it is necessary to do it in public. He has spent the past two weeks throwing Whitmer under the bus. too small, can't see, doesn't throw well on the run, all that stuff. he didn't play well, I get it. Everyone gets it. I also don't care frankly if he makes a change. if he does I hope it works. But the WAY he is going about it is almost guaranteed to create a quarterback controversy and those are usually not good for team morale. No need to put Boyle on the 2-deep, really. It doesn't matter if he's listed #2 or #22. Nobody outside the team really knows or needs to know that he's taking #2 snaps. Even if they saw it, they probably owuldn't know the difference. If you think you need a change, just make a change. You don't have to talk about it. You don't even have to justify it. You just need to do it come game time. When coaches start this kind of dance, it is usually a prelude to disaster.

Oh, I get it. As long as it's only the players who know that Boyle moved up to #2...........it's when the FANS know.....that's when the team morale goes in the sink.

Reaction Score
Coach P is no fool. He knows his job is on the line. He is willing to use any Quarterback that will save is job, regardless if it best for the team or the player, end of story.

Reaction Score
Isn't it Boyle OR Cochran with the reporting that Boyle "appears " to be ahead because he's getting more snaps?

If Boyle turns out to be Johnny Football north (without the baggage), great. I would view him playing with great trepidation. Between sacrificing his redshirt and sacrificing a coach. . . . .well, you get the idea.

Reaction Score
Coach P is no fool. He knows his job is on the line. He is willing to use any Quarterback that will save is job, regardless if it best for the team or the player, end of story.

How does he save his job if Boyle fails and is in fact way worst than CW?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Isn't it Boyle OR Cochran with the reporting that Boyle "appears " to be ahead because he's getting more snaps?

If Boyle turns out to be Johnny Football north (without the baggage), great. I would view him playing with great trepidation. Between sacrificing his redshirt and sacrificing a coach. . . . .well, you get the idea.

I'll take Johnny Football North with enough baggage to fill Michigan Stadium.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Honestly, if Whitmer plays similarly against Maryland, I think a change to Boyle or Cochran might be worth a try. But there are systematic changes that should be applied first.

The OL struggles in pass blocking, and Weist has the receivers running middle-deep routes, all while Whitmer has a slow release and tends to hold the ball. It's a bad combination. I think Whitmer can be a decent QB, but I'm not sure he's a fit for this offense if they keep running it this way. If they shortened the routes and threw more quick slants and screens to backs or WR, I think Whitmer could thrive. If he's going to go three wide and spread things out with an empty backfield or even keeping LM (all 5'8" and 175 of him) in to block, Whitmer is going to struggle. Pass protection is another reason we need to give the other RBs a shot.

Reaction Score
The grafitti is on the wall Whitmer has and is still struggling with the same issues.
After he get touched once he feels internal pressure, he misses easy throws, he hitches before he throws which make him late.
If Boyle is a better option than Casey, let him play!
The controversy occurs when you don't play the right guy.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that the premise of recruiting is to bring in the best talent that you can find at every position. Hopefully that talent is better than the incumbant on the roster. Also hopefully, once that talent has learned the system, it's ready to step onto the field & perform.
There's been a litany of true freshmen over the years that have been elevated to the starting qb once they are deemed ready by their coaches. We used to laugh at Schiano at Rutgers for having a new starter every year, but each was better on the field than his predecessor.
If Coach P. has caught lightening in a bottle with Boyle, unleash him. Hell, he's won multiple State Championships at the highest level in CT. (as has Cochran) If it's time to make the switch, I'm all for it.

Reaction Score
I fhe's the better quarterback, I say go with him. i'd much prefer that he redshirt, but this team could be looking at a disaster this year. If that's what it takes to give them a little life, go with it. But just do it. No need to denigrate the incumbent. No need to do this oh now Boyle is #2A, next week maybe he is #2 A-1, then he's 1B. Just make the switch if you think he should be the guy. If we lose the next game, certainly the next 2 with whitmer, I can see this making what went on with Frazer-Endres, Endres-Frazer or DJ-Bone, Bones-DJ look like happy time in the park. You just can't go with a quarterback who doesn't have the full support of the head coach and who is being undercut by his coach in public. Recipe for disaster.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
the other problems? This announcing Boyle as the #2, combined with what looks to be setting the stage for replacing Whitmer looks to me as having the potential to be yet another distraction for this season. I have a hard time believing that he is moving Boyle up the ladder with no intention of using him. So on top of everything else, we get to look forward to the fans clamoring for Boyle if Whitmer has a bad game, the team being split, the staff relying on a true freshman, who if he struggles, will have wasted a year...If you plan to use the kid, just do it and never mind all this dancing around the maypole. It just causes problems for all concerned...You would think that a coach with Pasqualoni's experience would not make this fundamental mistake, but it sure looks like he's going to make it. For what its worth, Whitmer sounded like he is trying to be a good soldier, but occasionally makes a comment that suggests he's pretty unhappy with how it is going, too.

Yeah but how do you feel about the uniforms?

Reaction Score
Yeah but how do you feel about the uniforms?
They were a mess, too. The uniforms has this red and while "piping" that really didn't serve any function, didn't connect to anything. the helmets looked plain stupid. looked like they had pairs socks on the front on tv. The colors were fine, though I really do like blue helmets better. Over the years we've worn both and I've always preferred the blue ones. I think this would work pretty well:
Connecticut_OLD1.gif

Reaction Score
The grafitti is on the wall Whitmer has and is still struggling with the same issues.
After he get touched once he feels internal pressure, he misses easy throws, he hitches before he throws which make him late.
If Boyle is a better option than Casey, let him play!
The controversy occurs when you don't play the right guy.

As resistant as I am to putting a talented true frosh out behind that line I have no problem with any coach lighting a fire under a player who is underperforming and considering his other options.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Are you trying to start a non-fashion drama! How of you. But stick to fashion drama, its your strong suit

Reaction Score
As resistant as I am to putting a talented true frosh out behind that line I have no problem with any coach lighting a fire under a player who is underperforming and considering his other options.
The competition is always there, fire is what the team needs.
Find the player that burns the hottest and fan the flame.
That goes for every position, everybody wants burn.
Burn baby burn!

Reaction Score
Honestly, if Whitmer plays similarly against Maryland, I think a change to Boyle or Cochran might be worth a try. But there are systematic changes that should be applied first.

The OL struggles in pass blocking, and Weist has the receivers running middle-deep routes, all while Whitmer has a slow release and tends to hold the ball. It's a bad combination. I think Whitmer can be a decent QB, but I'm not sure he's a fit for this offense if they keep running it this way. If they shortened the routes and threw more quick slants and screens to backs or WR, I think Whitmer could thrive. If he's going to go three wide and spread things out with an empty backfield or even keeping LM (all 5'8" and 175 of him) in to block, Whitmer is going to struggle. Pass protection is another reason we need to give the other RBs a shot.

You do remember he tried to throw a screen pass and it got picked right. Not to mention the very first play he threw that lame duck 5 yard curl route. He can throw the post or deep slant and that's about it. Without his passing windows he looked like a deer in headlights last week. Hopefully he learned his lesson, I guess we'll see, it was his 13th game though. I was concerned how he doesn't have the control of the huddle out there, plus the turnovers. He needs to step it up, or he will be benched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom