Handicapping the 2023 Cayman Island Classic | The Boneyard

Handicapping the 2023 Cayman Island Classic

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The full schedule for the Nov 24/25 set of games in George Town, Grand Cayman have been announced. Here is the link

I have seeded the 8 teams according to their returning roster composition/media hype
1. LSU 2. UConn 3. Virginia Tech 4. UCLA 5. Kansas 6. Virginia 7. Tulane 8. Niagara

By using this as "seeding", LSU, in typical fashion, plays the easiest 2 games-Virginia and Niagara
Virginia Tech plays the next easiest with Kansas and Tulane
UCLA plays #2 UConn and #8 Niagara for the 3rd easiest set of games
Tied for 4th are UConn with UCLA and Kansas with
Tulane who plays Virginia and Virginia Tech
6th/3rd hardest is Virginia with Tulane and LSU
7th/2nd hardest Niagara with LSU and Virginia
8th/Hardest schedule is Kansas with Virginia Tech and UConn

Not quite sure how the tournament organizers decided on this set as the men's side is played like a tournament but yet the women's is schedule like an "exhibition of games". I don't quite get that but ok.
Even by playing just 2 games, the organizers could have scheduled as if it was an 8-team tournament with one minor tweak above to not have Virginia Tech #3 face Virginia #6 in "opening round. I flipped UCLA to #3 and Virginia Tech to #4.
Hence the first games would have been:
LSU-Niagara
VaTech-Kansas
UConn-Tulane
UCLA-Virginia

Day 2 would have:
LSU-VaTech (2 theoretical winners)
Niagara-Kansas (2 theoretical losers)
UConn-UCLA (2 theoretical winners)
Tulane-Virginia (2 theoretical losers).

So who wants to be the 2nd person to claim Kim must have an insider on the Cayman Classic organizing committee (I am the 1st)? :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Someone else has pointed out that no coach commits to an early season tournament without having a pretty good idea of who they will play. Geno will certainly want a good test, and that’s exactly what he should get from UCLA and last season’s WNIT champion, Kansas.

On the other hand, Kim has always scheduled more OOC cupcakes than you find at a Jr. HS bake sale. Niagra and Virginia won’t put up much of a fight. Having said that, last season’s weak OOC LSU schedule didn’t much matter as the Tigers rolled through the Big Dance to a national championship.

Reaction Score
Someone else has pointed out that no coach commits to an early season tournament without having a pretty good idea of who they will play. Geno will certainly want a good test, and that’s exactly what he should get from UCLA and last season’s WNIT champion, Kansas.

On the other hand, Kim has always scheduled more OOC cupcakes than you find at a Jr. HS bake sale. Niagra and Virginia won’t put up much of a fight. Having said that, last season’s weak OOC LSU schedule didn’t much matter as the Tigers rolled through the Big Dance to a national championship.
That is typical of Geno, to test his players from day one. And I believe the players want that kind of opponents to test their capabilities and stamina. Yes, they always come through with the required victories. Geno has always scheduled the toughest OOC schedule he could and his players loved it. GO HUSKIES!!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
the Tigers rolled through the Big Dance to a national championship.
Actually, they were fortunate to escape Utah and didn’t roll over anyone until they overwhelmed Iowa. They were good, no. doubt. Women’s hoop talent is pretty deep these days.

Reaction Score
Kudos to UConn. If there is one thing that they could presumably have trouble with this season, it would be big physical post. They missed Liz Kitley but they will end up playing two top 10 post in the country IMO.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
With healthy Paige and Azzi I don't think LSU can beat UConn.
I pray that you are right. No one thought that Iowa would beat the self anointed world champions from SC, but low and behold puff and the Gamecocks were in tears, they fell and fell so very hard. Any team can lose a game, even with far superior talent.

Reaction Score
I pray that you are right. No one thought that Iowa would beat the self anointed world champions from SC, but low and behold puff and the Gamecocks were in tears, they fell and fell so very hard. Any team can lose a game, even with far superior talent.
Yes I agree. The stars were aligned just right for LSU when Iowa got hot and upset S.Carolina (the best team in the
tournament IMO, and a team that beat LSU handily during the regular season). Heck, LSU lost to Tennessee in the
SEC tournament. As Geno has said, sometimes you need a little luck to win the NCAA tourney. (of course he didn't
need any luck in 2002 or 2016).

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
OMG!! LSU has released their OOC schedule, and besides VT and Colorado, Niagara and Virginia are their toughest competition. This schedule is an embarrassment for a defending NC, and has secured 50+ pt wins in every other game. If I were an LSU season ticket holder I would be pissed off and turn in my seats. Morrow and Van Lith left their old teams to play this kind of schedule? WOW.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OMG!! LSU has released their OOC schedule, and besides VT and Colorado, Niagara and Virginia are their toughest competition. This schedule is an embarrassment for a defending NC, and has secured 50+ pt wins in every other game. If I were an LSU season ticket holder I would be pissed off and turn in my seats. Morrow and Van Lith left their old teams to play this kind of schedule? WOW.
C’mon now. Kim has always lined up cupcakes in her OOC schedule. She did it last year on her way to a national championship. It should surprise absolutely no one that she’s doing it again this year.

I can assure you that LSU season ticket holders will show up in record numbers this year to watch LSU’s all star team dine on each and every cupcake on the schedule.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
C’mon now. Kim has always lined up cupcakes in her OOC schedule. She did it last year on her way to a national championship. It should surprise absolutely no one that she’s doing it again this year.

I can assure you that LSU season ticket holders will show up in record numbers this year to watch LSU’s all star team dine on each and every cupcake on the schedule.
It's still embarrassing.

Reaction Score
A couple have hinted here, but I'm gonna say it. UCLA has a very very good team. UConn is going to have a fight on their hands.
I agree that they could because there is definitely talent, but I'm not convinced they will. UCLA shot under 40% as a team last year and was ranked #222 in field goal percentage. Now that they have more of an inside game with Betts, I'll be interested to see if the ball-dominant guards actually give up the ball to feed the post. If they actually have balance, I could see this being interesting. If their guards generally jack up shots the way that they have been though, I don't see them coming away with a victory...especially given UCONN's defense should be very good, so those tough shots will be even tougher. Again, there is definitely a lot of talent there, which is good for a lot, but I'm very interested to see if they can pull it together. Should be a REALLY fun game regardless!

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken that's why they actually play the games. Otherwise, you could just jack up banners.

Reaction Score
Tournament organizers tried for a UConn/VaTech game but Kenny Brooks said no. Not an unreasonable position to take.

I get his reasoning, but still really lame from a fan's standpoint. Virginia Tech's games are so uninteresting. LSU's even worse.

Reaction Score
Tournament organizers tried for a UConn/VaTech game but Kenny Brooks said no. Not an unreasonable position to take.

This kind of made me laugh a bit. “We’re not ducking” then describes ducking.

refusing to schedule two top teams in back to back weeks isn’t unreasonable. However to me it just sounded like a lot of excuses why Virginia Tech can only play 2 good teams out of conference. They head a rather weak OOC schedule last year too I think.

I’m sorry to sound mean as I like Coach Brooks. I guess it’s unfair to compare other teams schedules with Geno’s. Really I’m just a fan who wants to see as many good matchups as possible.

I just feel like, they have a darn good roster and he is a good coach! Playing a third good team OOC wouldn’t kill them. It just comes across as being afraid of having too many Ls, except he obviously can’t go out and say that.

Edit to add the real frustrating culprit for ducking and weak schedules is far and away Kim Mulkey

sun

Reaction Score
IMO folks are underestimating the strength of Virgina WBB this year.
From top to bottom, Virginia's roster is filled with highly ranked young players & transfers, & they have a respected coach in her 2nd year.
They could be a top 25 team this year & be competitive against LSU.
Just look at the bio of every Virginia player.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
You might say that Virginia's Kymora Johnson is closely following in the footsteps of Azzi Fudd.

Background

• McDonald’s High School All-American
  • Won the three-point shooting contest at the McDonald’s All-American game
  • Two-time Gatorade State Player of the Year (2022-23)
  • Two-time Max Preps Virginia Player of the Year (2022-23)
  • Five-star recruit ranked N0. 24 in the espnW HoopGurlz recruiting rankings
  • Three-time VISAA Division I All-State
  • Helped lead the West Virginia Thunder AAU team to a Girls’ Under Armour National Championship
  • Averaged 23.9 points, 8.0 rebounds, 5.6 assists and 4.4 steals per game her senior season after averaging 21.7 points, 7.7 rebounds and 6.7 assists per game in 2021 - 2022.

Here she wins the 2023 Jamfest 3 point shootout.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom