Greatest race move ever? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Greatest race move ever?

Reaction Score
Color me underwhelmed, if that is indeed the greatest move ever it seems to justify not watching.
Oval track racing, particularly oval short track racing has always bored me. But now F1 has strayed way too far from it's origins to be interesting. Sheesh! I am a Luddite I guess. Get rid of all electronics, turbo aspiration, DRS, sequential semi automatic gearboxes, make the drivers use a clutch, regenerative braking, all that claptrap. Bring back circuits like Road America, Mid Ohio, MoSport, Donington. Ban circuits with concrete or Armco barriers closer than 40 yards from the edge of the racing surfaces.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Incorrect. Rush. The story of Nicky Lauda and James Hunt.
Ford vs Ferrari and Rush are both deserving.

As for the speed, I couldn't find this old clip on YouTube, but it shows a convertible doing 55 being passed at 200.

Reaction Score
I came here thinking it was a thread about movies about racing and was gonna say Rat Race is a good time
One of the funniest movies ever! It’s a takeoff of Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, which was also pretty funny.

“They should’ve bought a squirrel.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry, nice move but not the best ever. I would put Danny Sullivan's 200 mph spin and recovery in a corner at Indy to win the 500 just a bit higher. Actually a lot higher.

In the context of the race situation, it's arguably much better.

Danny Sullivan spun out and saved it with 80 laps to go. If I had to choose between these two, I’d go with Chastain’s wall running because it changed the outcome of the entire championship series with seconds to go in the race.

Reaction Score
Color me underwhelmed, if that is indeed the greatest move ever it seems to justify not watching.
One of the problems of watching NASCAR if you’re not a fan is you don’t comprehend just how fast they are going. People think because they drive bumper-to-bumper on the highway that what these racers are doing is no big deal. However, if you’ve ever stood next to the wall at a place like Charlotte, where the cars are coming at you, you get a idea of just how fast they’re going and just how close together they are. No video will ever give you the same perspective or understanding, but here is one that kind of gives you a taste. Noticed the lady being blown away from the wind.

Reaction Score
One of the problems of watching NASCAR if you’re not a fan is you don’t comprehend just how fast they are going. People think because they drive bumper-to-bumper on the highway that what these racers are doing is no big deal. However, if you’ve ever stood next to the wall at a place like Charlotte, where the cars are coming at you, you get a idea of just how fast they’re going and just how close together they are. No video will ever give you the same perspective or understanding, but here is one that kind of gives you a taste. Noticed the lady being blown away from the wind.

Good point, if that happens right in front of you the response has to be 'holy freakin crap' - yet on video it is 'eh, can someone explain what happened & why its extraordinary?'
Does that just make it a bad TV sport? Any way to cure that via different telecast/filming techniques?

Opposite of how football continues to get better on TV vs going to games.
Hockey much better in person. Basketball is great both ways.

Reaction Score
Good point, if that happens right in front of you the response has to be 'holy freakin crap' - yet on video it is 'eh, can someone explain what happened & why its extraordinary?' Does that just make it a bad TV sport? Any way to cure that via different telecast/filming

I used to regularly watch NASCAR and only one time do I have a remember them showing a pace car going 55 MPH being passing by a race car at 200 to give you the idea of just how fast they’re going. It still doesn’t come close to standing at the point of the trioval at Charlotte where the cars are coming directly at you before veering left. I used to always question how difficult it must be to get new fans since the TV screen just doesn’t give you the right perspective.

Then again, I remember a cartoon strip, that was hanging on my dad‘s wall that stated, “How long would you watch cars go round and round in a circle?” The response, “Two minutes.” “How long would you watch cars go around around the circle if you knew there would be a crash?” “AS LONG AS IT TAKES!”

Note: it’s surprising that I haven’t followed NASCAR in several years since my next-door neighbor works at Joe Gibbs racing, where I have occasionally eaten lunch, and the first car that Todd Bodine ever drove was mine.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
One of the funniest movies ever! It’s a takeoff of Its A Mad Mad Mad Mad World, which was also pretty funny.

“They should’ve bought a squirrel.”
"I'M PRAIRIE DOGGIN'!!!!"

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I used to regularly watch NASCAR and only one time do I have a remember them showing a pace car going 55 MPH being passing by a race car at 200 to give you the idea of just how fast they’re going. It still doesn’t come close to standing at the point of the trioval at Charlotte where the cars are coming directly at you before veering left. I used to always question how difficult it must be to get new fans since the TV screen just doesn’t give you the right perspective.

Then again, I remember a cartoon strip, that was hanging on my dad‘s wall that stated, “How long would you watch cars go round and round in a circle?” The response, “Two minutes.” “How long would you watch cars go around around the circle if you knew there would be a crash?” “AS LONG AS IT TAKES!”

Note: it’s surprising that I haven’t followed NASCAR in several years since my next-door neighbor works at Joe Gibbs racing, where I have occasionally eaten lunch, and the first car that Todd Bodine ever drove was mine.
I remembered it too. That’s the video I posted a bit further up.

Reaction Score
Greatest move ever. For like 4th place? If you’re not first ……..

Reaction Score
"I'M PRAIRIE DOGGIN'!!!!"
I was trying to decide which of the hundred absolute hilarious lines from that movie to put into my post. That’s the one I originally typed in and then I changed it to the one I used.

I have lost my heart many times before. Enrico Pollini: I make a joke to help you forget how screwed you are

Naked, Jacuzzi, Pepto-Bismol, toenails, shave my buttocks. How much would that cost?"

Reaction Score
I remembered it too. That’s the video I posted a bit further up.

I saw your post, but did not play the clip so I didn’t know that’s what it was. I almost played it simply because his son Dale was sort of my next-door neighbor until last year.

Reaction Score
Days of Thunder is pretty good too
So was “Grand Prix”, my favorite race movie. Directed by John Frankenheimer IIRC, starred James Garner and Eva Marie Saint.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 2.08.30 PM.png

Reaction Score
Sorry, nice move but not the best ever. I would put Danny Sullivan's 200 mph spin and recovery in a corner at Indy to win the 500 just a bit higher. Actually a lot higher.

Zanardi at Laguna Seca.

Spin and win was what hooked me on Indy Car and F1 as a kid though.

That and Fittipaldi versus Unser a few years later.

Reaction Score
So was “Grand Prix”, my favorite race movie. Directed by John Frankenheimer IIRC, starred James Garner and Eva Marie Saint.

Le Mans with Steve McQueen is the best.

Reaction Score
That was ridiculous. Chastain has injected some much needed juice into NASCAR this season. The fact that he did this to bump Hamlin out of the championship, and they have been feuding all year makes it even wilder. Hamlin has to be fuming and wondering WTH just happened

NASCAR has been so awful for so long. They needed something like this. But that move will have to banned.

Reaction Score
Oval track racing, particularly oval short track racing has always bored me. But now F1 has strayed way too far from it's origins to be interesting. Sheesh! I am a Luddite I guess. Get rid of all electronics, turbo aspiration, DRS, sequential semi automatic gearboxes, make the drivers use a clutch, regenerative braking, all that claptrap. Bring back circuits like Road America, Mid Ohio, MoSport, Donington. Ban circuits with concrete or Armco barriers closer than 40 yards from the edge of the racing surfaces.

Bring back late ‘90s to 2003 CART. That was the perfect setup. Just enough tech to keep engine and chassis makers happy but simple enough to still be a driver’s series.

Second place is the GTP era in IMSA.

Reaction Score
Bring back late ‘90s to 2003 CART. That was the perfect setup. Just enough tech to keep engine and chassis makers happy but simple enough to still be a driver’s series.

Second place is the GTP era in IMSA.
We think a lot alike. But it was hard to top a 1968 or 1969 September weekend in Bridgehampton for the CanAm. Bruce McLaren Dennis Hulme, Mark Donahue, Dan Gurney, Peter Revson, Lothar Motchambacher, Jim Hall, John Surtees, Pedro Rodriguez, Sam Posey. It was magical. In those halcyon days, very briefly, there was more money in CanAm than F1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom