Greatest race move ever? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Greatest race move ever?

Reaction Score
We think a lot alike. But it was hard to top a 1968 or 1969 September weekend in Bridgehampton for the CanAm. Bruce McLaren Dennis Hulme, Mark Donahue, Dan Gurney, Peter Revson, Lothar Motchambacher, Jim Hall, John Surtees, Pedro Rodriguez, Sam Posey. It was magical. In those halcyon days, very briefly, there was more money in CanAm than F1.

It’s a bit before my time but CART absorbed a bunch of those Can Am teams. I think that was where Paul Newman owned a team and then teamed up to make Newman-Haas which was an amazing team and also where Adrian Newey started out before becoming the best designer in F1 history.

Seeing the IMSA/Camel GT race in CT at Lime Rock was what hooked me. Hard to believe that CT once had a world class auto racing at one point.

Reaction Score
It’s a bit before my time but CART absorbed a bunch of those Can Am teams. I think that was where Paul Newman owned a team and then teamed up to make Newman-Haas which was an amazing team and also where Adrian Newey started out before becoming the best designer in F1 history.

Seeing the IMSA/Camel GT race in CT at Lime Rock was what hooked me. Hard to believe that CT once had a world class auto racing at one point.
IMSA is what followed TransAm. In 1971 all the big names came to Lime Rock for the day before Memorial Day. Mark Donahue won the race in driving rain driving for Penske and American Motors. Parnelli Jones stuffed his Mustang into a sand bank on the Climbing Turn. Gurney drive a Dodge Challenger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom