Great Paige Article (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great Paige Article (merged thread)

Reaction Score
I hope Megan comes back for her senior year..but if she is considered a top 10 pick in the draft.....

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
If one defines "dynasty" as national championships, then yes, "rebuild" or "revive" — which is what was used for the byline on the ESPN app — can be used (if UConn does not win a national title, the senior class will be the first since the 2008 seniors to graduate without a title).

As an aside, ESPN cannot win for trying. There are posters who claim there is almost no coverage or not enough coverage. There are posters who take issue with the types of coverage (even when ESPN does the same thing on the men’s side and treats the sports similarly). There are posters who claim the timing of coverage is wrong (e.g., bracketology). And now there are posters upset with a word that was used in reference to a dynasty.

The byline also called UConn "the greatest dynasty in sports" when referencing reviving it!!!

Personally, I am happy to see ESPN have an in-depth feature on a transcendental high school player in the women’s game, as the network has previously featured among such players in the men’s game.

Attachments

• ACA2AF79-370F-4C9D-A109-752965960740.jpeg
    ACA2AF79-370F-4C9D-A109-752965960740.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I hope Megan comes back for her senior year..but if she is considered a top 10 pick in the draft.....
While I understand that Megan will technically be eligible for the W after this season, I’m not sure why posters consider it even a remote possibility. To start, Megan is an exceptionally good student who plans on earning her degree. She is also smart enough to understand, just like Pheesa, that another year at UConn would increase her chances of success at the next level.

Add in that this will be Megan’s team next year, and she will finally have the opportunity to play with her good friend Evina, a player who she was instrumental in bringing to UConn.

One final point. Megan won 3 straight championships in VA. She is a fierce competitor. Knowing what the Huskies have coming back and coming in, Megan is not going to want to leave without a National Championship.

Reaction Score
They are showing this article on the front page of ESPN now! Definitely excited for what is too come but am in agreeance that this whole rebuilding angle is garbage. The amount of talent already signed over the next three years is already immense. Add that to the existing older and wiser teammates and you will have something special.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the article very accurately describes UConn's situation, including the lofty expectations, this being a down period, and the burden of expectation that will be placed on Bueckers to bring us back to the promise land.

I also think it's great that ESPN is promoting tonight's game on their front page, and it's also nice of them to call UConn the "Greatest Dynasty in Sports."

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If one defines "dynasty" as national championships, then yes, "rebuild" or "revive" — which is what was used for the byline on the ESPN app — can be used (if UConn does not win a national title, the senior class will be the first since the 2008 seniors to graduate without a title).
...and if Duke's Women's team EVER WINS a national title, it will be the first by any Duke Senior class...but I guess we don't have to worry about that...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It is ridiculous for you to even ask that. Why even bring that up?

Reaction Score
A team wins 4 straight national championships and then makes 3 straight final fours without winning the championship and journalists use the words "rebuild" and "revive." It's crazy.
We all know ESPN wants to see UConn fall so any chance they get to give UConn the "rebuilding" or "needs reviving" tag, they're going to do it. No different than all of ESPN still riding the Maryland bandwagon despite no evidence that they could beat any of the teams UConn lost to.

Reaction Score
"But when Auriemma points at a photo hanging on the wall next to his door, it's a shot of Taurasi with the ball in her hand, wearing a Team USA jersey. "[Bueckers] thinks she's going to be Dee," he said, not shying away from perhaps the loftiest comparison of all. "She has all the mannerisms. She has Dee's game. She has all the stuff that goes along with Dee.

"She's as good as anybody I've seen with the ball in her hands," Auriemma continues. "She has something that's rare."

Geno has seen a lot of people with the ball in their hands. I think she will be our starting PG by conference time if not before next season.

I actually don't want her to be our PG. I want her to play off the ball a bit so it frees her up to shoot or pass, much like Ionescu when she had Corzolla or Diana when she had Maria. They weren't necessarily the PG, but the ENTIRE offense flowed through both of them.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The videos of Paige are fantastic. Imagine Paige and Anna passing the ball. That will get the offense moving and grovin.

Reaction Score
We all know ESPN wants to see UConn fall so any chance they get to give UConn the "rebuilding" or "needs reviving" tag, they're going to do it. No different than all of ESPN still riding the Maryland bandwagon despite no evidence that they could beat any of the teams UConn lost to.

While I think there are individual(s) at ESPN who want that I am fairly certain that the management's only concern is in attracting viewers. UConn is in a major market, perhaps the most major market for basketball, and right now they are about to be joined by a highly marketable player with national recognition. I am sure that they want UConn and Bueckers to succeed. And as far as Bueckers, they are looking ahead to her as a highly marketable pro.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
What I like about most is the fact that UConn is going to the Big East and ESPN will not be telecasting their league games. It will be either Fox (Fox, FS1, FS2) or CBS (CBS, CBS Sports), and hopefully SNY. The only games that they will have the rights too up front are the UConn away games such as Norte Dame, South Carolina, Baylor. I won't miss their drivel one bit, but I will miss #50 a lot.

Reaction Score
While I think there are individual(s) at ESPN who want that I am fairly certain that the management's only concern is in attracting viewers. UConn is in a major market, perhaps the most major market for basketball, and right now they are about to be joined by a highly marketable player with national recognition. I am sure that they want UConn and Bueckers to succeed. And as far as Bueckers, they are looking ahead to her as a highly marketable pro.
I see that. I'd have to agree that anything revolving around UConn tends to get more attention. But I'm referring less to their bet on Bueckers being a marketable star or UConn's name and more of their word choice. Without knowing much about UConn, this article make it seem like UConn is devoid of other quality players (they only briefly mention MW and CW and breeze past this year's freshman class AG and AM). I totally understand that UConn is a big name in the WBB world and articles about UConn tend to have heavy web traffic results, but to make it seem like UConn is on it's last legs is a little misleading. "Rebuilding" would be better said of a program like Tennessee under Harper and "reviving" would be more fitting of if a program like Old Dominion or Louisiana Tech became relevant again.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think the article very accurately describes UConn's situation, including the lofty expectations, this being a down period, and the burden of expectation that will be placed on Bueckers to bring us back to the promise land.

I also think it's great that ESPN is promoting tonight's game on their front page, and it's also nice of them to call UConn the "Greatest Dynasty in Sports."

it is. It’s been far more successful than the patriots over the same timeline. With zero cheating.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The other reason for optimism is that when geno lands a Generational talent, he doesn’t miss.

there’s a reason he’s got 9 of his 11 rings when he had one of Dee, Maya or Stewie.

and even the 95 and 2000 teams had multiple ring of honor members.

the next few years should be very good ones. And South Carolina is going to be a very worthy adversary.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I just Love our gals! Wouldn’t trade them for anyone. People are jealous and quite frankly 3 losses ....... um.....didn’t we have four loses one year with Dee and then win it all? I’ll take our team any day, win or lose.
We also had 4 losses with Stewie and won it all. Can some Husky make a Stewie Leap in March??

Reaction Score
I see that. I'd have to agree that anything revolving around UConn tends to get more attention. But I'm referring less to their bet on Bueckers being a marketable star or UConn's name and more of their word choice. Without knowing much about UConn, this article make it seem like UConn is devoid of other quality players (they only briefly mention MW and CW and breeze past this year's freshman class AG and AM). I totally understand that UConn is a big name in the WBB world and articles about UConn tend to have heavy web traffic results, but to make it seem like UConn is on it's last legs is a little misleading. "Rebuilding" would be better said of a program like Tennessee under Harper and "reviving" would be more fitting of if a program like Old Dominion or Louisiana Tech became relevant again.

I agree totally. It's usually an editor who writes the headline and I'd say it got the result that was intended. UConn fans got upset and foes got to smile.

Reaction Score
What I like about most is the fact that UConn is going to the Big East and ESPN will not be telecasting their league games. It will be either Fox (Fox, FS1, FS2) or CBS (CBS, CBS Sports), and hopefully SNY. The only games that they will have the rights too up front are the UConn away games such as Norte Dame, South Carolina, Baylor. I won't miss their drivel one bit, but I will miss #50 a lot.
This will mean that fewer people around the country will be able to watch UConn play, including fewer potential recruits. How is that a good thing?

Reaction Score
How exciting next year will be with Paige and
all. I can’t wait for Evina either! Wow!
For that matter next year WE WILL Rock!
All the Haters just remember that!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom