Got Water? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Got Water?

Reaction Score
Anyone rationing?

Went fishing from shore and was able to walk out much further than usual at a couple of lakes. Also was in Mass and some communities have started water restrictions. Lot of rivers, streams and brooks are dry. Some CT golf courses are on water restriction, and can only draw so much water for the course from local sources. Some took away the water stations and its freakin August!

Is this what San Diego feels like?

Making light of this but I think this is going to get serious for some folks, especially out west. I'm also wondering if I need to be doing something in preparation for the worse.

Reaction Score
I’m starting to feel bad for all the water I drink during my days events. Then I look at my poor lawn throw the water on it does nothing. Really tough times in this area. I was so happy up in the New Hampshire corner yesterday when the skies opened up only to find out we received none of that in my town.

Rain dances?
Got caught in a hefty rain storm at the Mt Washington summit on Tuesday. It was neat watching the storm move across the valley from the summit. Turns out there was more rain at the summit than down below…..made for a sketchy ride down.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I watched that movie by myself when I was a kid and I was very confused about what I was supposed to be taking away from it.
Not at all surprising. The story is actually pretty surreal.

Yesterday, I listened to a woman reading it, and still loved it.

Definitely helps to have a working sense Cheever's WASPy ouevre, which I acquired by way of private secondary school classmates.

Reaction Score
I live in Glendale which is Northwest of Phoenix. I check the weather radar because my dogs don't like thunder. The radar shows a storm coming and by the time it reaches Phoenix it has dried up. Today we have a 48% chance of rain, but so far nothing.
I understand Glendale and Peoria got hammered last night. Did you dodge another bullet ?
Some Peoria schools are closed today and my friends got a hotel because the outage
Its pouring here now thinking it was over i went to the mail. Box . Then it downpoured.
The temp read 76 crazy.

Reaction Score
I understand Glendale and Peoria got hammered last night. Did you dodge another bullet ?
Some Peoria schools are closed today and my friends got a hotel because the outage
Its pouring here now thinking it was over i went to the mail. Box . Then it downpoured.
The temp read 76 crazy.
Crazy, my daughter lives about 3 miles away and got about an inch of rain all we got was noise from the thunder.

Reaction Score
I have a well but I don’t like what I am seeing so decided to let lane go. Just no significant rainfall for months, and a very hot and dry summer in Connecticut. We had a couple of flash storms, and then a light setting the other day, but I just don’t see the precipitation. Lawn hasn’t grown In a month. Grass is dormant.

Reaction Score
If you're watering your lawn right now you're a jerk. Can't stand the people who value a green lawn over water preservation.
I see a lot of this in my area. Even lawns with irrigation still going are turning. Let it go already. I hate mowing the lawn this time of year anyway.

Reaction Score
We have a massive Tulip Tree and its leaves started turning yellow a few weeks ago, then brown, then falling. I was freaked out when I noticed it because I feared it was dying. It's only around 30' from our house so it would have to be taken down, which would cost a ton of money. Dr. Google says that it's not dead, but that this happens in summer when there is not enough water.

Thankfully, the moss that populates our lawn has remained green throughout.

This happens to the trees in Aruba. They lose their leaves and look dead because of the long dry stretches. When it rains, they’ll bloom right back in a couple days.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you're watering your lawn right now you're a jerk. Can't stand the people who value a green lawn over water preservation.
I see a lot of this in my area. Even lawns with irrigation still going are turning. Let it go already. I hate mowing the lawn this time of year anyway.

Makes me appreciate living in an area where a 25' well and a pump gives you all the water you want without tapping in to municipal water supplies. It still blows my mind that people in this country use potable water for their lawns.

Reaction Score
Makes me appreciate living in an area where a 25' well and a pump gives you all the water you want without tapping in to municipal water supplies. It still blows my mind that people in this country use potable water for their lawns.
We are all wells in our neighborhood. I don’t know the likelihood of any of them going dry, but I’d rather be safe and considerate than sorry. I wish our outdoor hose faucets were pre-filter. Always seemed like a waste of filters when watering anything.

Reaction Score
All of the rain that most of you aren't getting...it's down here in S. Alabama. Seems like it rains 4-5 days a week. The pond is over full pool, darn grass keeps growing and the garden is going well. It's pouring as I write this. Sorry guys, but I thought you might want to know where it is.

Reaction Score
All of the rain that most of you aren't getting...it's down here in S. Alabama. Seems like it rains 4-5 days a week. The pond is over full pool, darn grass keeps growing and the garden is going well. It's pouring as I write this. Sorry guys, but I thought you might want to know where it is.
There was a real bad drought in the Southern States I believe in 1990’s . It’s one thing to hear about on TV. But I remember going there in late Aug early Sept and driving by cornfields that should have had stalks 8-10 ft tall and green and seeing 2 ft tall yellow /brown stumps for miles , That visual really gets your attention as it was beyond my imagination. I remember thinking that’s somebody’s living destroyed.

Reaction Score
Let’s go!!!

997FAD12-97B5-4AA9-9AA9-AB136E6AB800.jpeg

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A couple years ago I looked into having a well drilled. I was paying around $1,200/yr for town water, and that's only going to go up.

The problem was the price for a well is open ended. They charge by the foot, and don't stop until they hit bedrock. My property borders wetlands on two sides, but my property is sand. Neighbors with wells had to drill 300+ ft.

I decided to just stop watering my very large lawn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Most of us don't have any access to non-potable water (except from the dehumidifier perhaps..I dump mine on the lawn or shrubs).

Hoping for more rain than we seem to be getting today. Seems like every single expected storm or rain event misses us or peters out.

Reaction Score
Hoping for more rain than we seem to be getting today. Seems like every single expected storm or rain event misses us or peters out.
That's what's happening in Norwalk now. The forecast I shared last night has now turned to:

1661175037158.png

Reaction Score
On the bright side, the MDC has a supply of over 600 days of water (i.e. if it didn't get any additional water into its reservoirs).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Most of us don't have any access to non-potable water (except from the dehumidifier perhaps..I dump mine on the lawn or shrubs).

Growing up in CT I think one person in our neighborhood watered their yard. They were also the only yard I remember having a spray/fertilizer/insecticide service.

I just don't remember watering lawns being a thing. I know I used to cut grass as a tween and young teen for a few bucks.
As an adult I couldn't imagine paying more for my water bill just to water grass.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Growing up in CT I think one person in our neighborhood watered their yard. They were also the only yard I remember having a spray/fertilizer/insecticide service.

I just don't remember watering lawns being a thing. I know I used to cut grass as a tween and young teen for a few bucks.
As an adult I couldn't imagine paying more for my water bill just to water grass.
Even without the drought, most towns have a soft water ban, limiting watering with city water. I have a well. Some in my neighborhood overdo it. But one of my neighbors ran a well dry, so I am wary. No water bill, but I do front side/back side every other day. Shut down this summer as there's no point.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
A couple years ago I looked into having a well drilled. I was paying around $1,200/yr for town water, and that's only going to go up.

The problem was the price for a well is open ended. They charge by the foot, and don't stop until they hit bedrock. My property borders wetlands on two sides, but my property is sand. Neighbors with wells had to drill 300+ ft.

I decided to just stop watering my very large lawn.
we have a tremendous amount of freshwater under our feet here in New England. get a well. pops remembers when water was free in Bridgeport. now, they measure and charge you for what goes in, and based on that amount, they then charge you for what goes out.
get a well. nowadays, lots of places out west tell you what you can have, and what you can't. change has come!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom