Got Water? | The Boneyard

Got Water?

Reaction Score
Anyone rationing?

Went fishing from shore and was able to walk out much further than usual at a couple of lakes. Also was in Mass and some communities have started water restrictions. Lot of rivers, streams and brooks are dry. Some CT golf courses are on water restriction, and can only draw so much water for the course from local sources. Some took away the water stations and its freakin August!

Is this what San Diego feels like?

Making light of this but I think this is going to get serious for some folks, especially out west. I'm also wondering if I need to be doing something in preparation for the worse.

Reaction Score
I’m starting to feel bad for all the water I drink during my days events. Then I look at my poor lawn throw the water on it does nothing. Really tough times in this area. I was so happy up in the New Hampshire corner yesterday when the skies opened up only to find out we received none of that in my town.

Rain dances?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I think I need to venture out more, especially off season. There's so much more to see, and explore on the Yard.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Is it me or are folks seeing leaves fall a little earlier than normal too?
We have a massive Tulip Tree and its leaves started turning yellow a few weeks ago, then brown, then falling. I was freaked out when I noticed it because I feared it was dying. It's only around 30' from our house so it would have to be taken down, which would cost a ton of money. Dr. Google says that it's not dead, but that this happens in summer when there is not enough water.

Thankfully, the moss that populates our lawn has remained green throughout.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My lawn is yellow/brown. Even my shrubs and trees are now severely drought stressed. I have a well, but haven't been watering because honestly, I don't want it to run dry. The water table has to be really low. Town has a full water ban right now, no hoses, sprinklers, washing your car. Can only use a hand watering can.

Reaction Score
Anyone rationing?

Went fishing from shore and was able to walk out much further than usual at a couple of lakes. Also was in Mass and some communities have started water restrictions. Lot of rivers, streams and brooks are dry. Some CT golf courses are on water restriction, and can only draw so much water for the course from local sources. Some took away the water stations and its freakin August!

Is this what San Diego feels like?

Making light of this but I think this is going to get serious for some folks, especially out west. I'm also wondering if I need to be doing something in preparation for the worse.
We’re having the wettest monsoon in many years. We’re more than double the annual summer rainfall. I understand Lake Mead has risen, which is unheard of during the summer. The lakes and reservoirs in Az depend mostly on the winter snowfall melt runoff upstream to sustain them. The mountains that are N & NE of Phoenix can get 200 inch of snow on a good year.
My golf courses out here used reclaimed water . That water although not potable is pure enough to sustain fish and other wildlife in the course ponds. Those ponds then continually recirculated the water through filters.
Az is a Big State but when you subtract the lightly populated Reservations The Gila ( Hila) River Pima res is 587 sq miles but only has 11-12 thousand residents.
Arizona is lightly populated and limited in growth because:
The Federal Givermment Manages 42% of the land in national parks and Forrest’s.
State trusts 12.6%
Native Tribes over 27% ( probable 200,000. -300,000 people .
That leaves only 18+ % of the land for private use. That’s insane .
Having said that Maricopa county is a rising economic powerhouse. What’s happening here has’t been seen in Ct since the 19th and early 20th century. I think uncertainty in the Far East and California taxes and favorable business attitudes are the reason
I may have to go back to the serenity of the desert and Cotten fields 50 miles south of here.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
We just bought and planted 4 hydrangea trees and they’re already not looking so hot. Watering them twice a day now - I’ve not mowed for 3 weeks and my grass has barely grown - not that I care really. But the gardens could use some rain.

Every time there’s rain in the forecast it never materializes here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The soil has actually pulled away from my foundation at my house. I can’t remember it ever being this dry.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We have a massive Tulip Tree and its leaves started turning yellow a few weeks ago, then brown, then falling. I was freaked out when I noticed it because I feared it was dying. It's only around 30' from our house so it would have to be taken down, which would cost a ton of money. Dr. Google says that it's not dead, but that this happens in summer when there is not enough water.

Thankfully, the moss that populates our lawn has remained green throughout.

We've been renovating our house and our backyard. We took out much of the vegetation but left an old dogwood tree, which is the prime source of shade. To our chagrin, a few weeks ago, the leaves all turned brown. Our landscaping people started running water to it, but told us yesterday that it was dead and that we'd have to remove it. I went by and, lo and behold, there were a whole bunch of green leaves at the top. It was only MOSTLY DEAD!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We've been renovating our house and our backyard. We took out much of the vegetation but left an old dogwood tree, which is the prime source of shade. To our chagrin, a few weeks ago, the leaves all turned brown. Our landscaping people started running water to it, but told us yesterday that it was dead and that we'd have to remove it. I went by and, lo and behold, there were a whole bunch of green leaves at the top. It was only MOSTLY DEAD!
It was your true love of the tree.

As You Wish Cary Elwes GIF by Disney+

Reaction Score
I live in Glendale which is Northwest of Phoenix. I check the weather radar because my dogs don't like thunder. The radar shows a storm coming and by the time it reaches Phoenix it has dried up. Today we have a 48% chance of rain, but so far nothing.

Reaction Score
NJ has declared a drought 'watch'. Strange as only 2 reservoirs in the state are low.
I think "watch" only means that we're heading towards drought. I can't remember the last time it rained though. Even passing thunder storms have been rare. I'm in an NJ town where we have crappy town water that's taken from wells. Always finding chemicals in it (but we get letters saying "don't worry... it's all good"), and always in water restrictions. This time it seems warranted.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We have been on water restrictions here in Scituate all summer. $300 fine if caught watering lawns and it’s easy to tell if you are watering lawns!! Except for crab grass our lawn is brown which is great because our landscaper hasn’t cut it in a month. Our town doesn’t have a reservoir and our water treatment plant is wholly outdated. We use a lot of bottled water which is another environmental nightmare. Our golf course has a lot of brownouts to the point that I can sometimes see 280 drives unfortunately they more often than not go through the fairway. This is the face of climate change folks do what you can

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom