Good game between S. Caro. and Texas A&M | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good game between S. Caro. and Texas A&M

Status
Not open for further replies.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Leaving the nose exposed
Also not being tight so every exhale goes through the mask, no facial hair, (allows leaking) face shields (like Marquette coaches wear) no filtration, useless.

Reaction Score
Good to see another post player shoot from outside the arc (1-4)

Reaction Score
What is Dawn's excuse this time? Texas weather?
I know Geno had a time when he was perhaps overly brash, a bit off-key earlier in his career. He and Pat seemed to actually hate each other. The old-time fans can tell me, was it real, was it Geno trying to fight for the world to recognize UConn?
It seems to be about Dawn! Dressing to honor John Chaney to me was inappropriate. The respect for Chaney was fine, but I question doing it in someone else's arena, when the game itself has nothing to do with John Chaney. (and of course I realize Geno is from Philly. maybe they could have done something together)
Today she was sporting a grey sweatshirt with dS in bold letters on the front. I assume that stands for Dawn Staley. Anyone out there, help me understand. She is a representative of South Carolina first and foremost. My bad, I don't like her and I don't like her team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That’s always been UConn’s challenge trying to get ready for the NCAAs, so they’ve mixed in some tough non conference games in February so it isn’t such a shock to see SEC level athletes. This year with covid, they only got 3 of them, so hopefully that will be enough where they’ll be able to step up when the comp gets better.
UCONN has 11 NC's. what kind of prep would have made it 12 or 13 or 14? Not meant as an attack on you, but people really need to give the "UCONN's conference sucks" a rest.

UCONN has had one of the top 10 SOS's in the entire nation over the past 20 years. We constantly play tough OOC games. UCONN is NEVER going to get in to a P5 conference (our football program is crap), so you all better hope that the Big East on the women's side becomes like the Big East on the men's side.

So with a top 10 SOS almost every single year, and 11 NC's, UCONN is traditionally more ready for the NCAA's than any other program in the history of WCBB.

So aside from whining (again, not you) about "waaaahhh the Big East is terrible", what do people want. WE GET IT - THE BIG EAST IS NOT ONE OF THE BEST CONFERENCES IN THE NATION. Constantly talking about it is just stupid. There I said it. Stupid.

Reaction Score
SC is just an above average team right now. Their offense is terrible and discombobulated. Can they fix it ? Maybe but there is not a lot time to get it done. Texas A&M was just a gutsy, determined team today and they looked like they wanted it more.

Reaction Score
SCar's guards fail time after time to get the ball to their posts when they're in position. It just doesn't seem to be part of their basketball DNA. Let me amend that. Henderson had 6 of the teams 11 assists, but most of her assists are off the dribble. Once again these two guards show what poor shooters they are by shooting 10-32. Once again Boston had less shots than either guard. Once again in order to get any shots she had to pull outside and went 1-4 from the arc. Yes, 4 of her 11 shots were from the arc.

This is a poor passing, poor shooting team. Dawn's offense is grab the rebound and run to the hoop. When that fails dump it inside. When that fails, guards please create. That is not an offense system. I've complained before that Dawn failed to realize that when you have a dominant center you need to surround that post with shooters. Some good and unselfish passers would help as well. I don't see any great shooters coming next year either. IMO these loses are not the players fault. I put SCar's loses solely on the shoulders of Dawn.
Unlike UConn that typically has a big following close behind the guard leading the fast break, Boston and the other SC bigs are far behind the ball. If the guard misses her layup or is guarded and needs to pass off, few options.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have a serious problem when an announcer says so and so is his/her choice for NPOY when the stats, performance, and team record don't seem to justify it. The announcer said that about Rhyne Howard in the middle of a 6-25 shooting performance in the team's 7th loss of the season. I think one announcer may have said it about Aaliyah Boston. She is obviously good, but she didn't dominate, and her stats were not as good as those of Jones. Her team lost.

South Carolina is obviously good, but they can be shooting/scoring challenged. They looked bad in Q3, and TAMU looked rattled in Q4. S.C. had 1 loss last year, but have 4 so far this year. I've said all year that they seem to miss Harris and Herbert-Harrigan. Will they hoist a banner saying they are "2nd in the SEC"? ;)

Reaction Score
So confused by Boston. I posted 6 weeks ago about my perception that she was out of shape and got hammered by the SC faithful. I get the SEC Channel and Boston seems constantly out of breath, doesn't move fluidly, and is getting few shots at the basket. Based on her size, strength, and skill, should be the most dominate player in women's college basketball and while I don't want to play her again, don't understand her current level of performance.

Reaction Score
UCONN has 11 NC's. what kind of prep would have made it 12 or 13 or 14? Not meant as an attack on you, but people really need to give the "UCONN's conference sucks" a rest.

UCONN has had one of the top 10 SOS's in the entire nation over the past 20 years. We constantly play tough OOC games. UCONN is NEVER going to get in to a P5 conference (our football program is crap), so you all better hope that the Big East on the women's side becomes like the Big East on the men's side.

So with a top 10 SOS almost every single year, and 11 NC's, UCONN is traditionally more ready for the NCAA's than any other program in the history of WCBB.

So aside from whining (again, not you) about "waaaahhh the Big East is terrible", what do people want. WE GET IT - THE BIG EAST IS NOT ONE OF THE BEST CONFERENCES IN THE NATION. Constantly talking about it is just stupid. There I said it. Stupid.
I could also contend that the same teams UConn didn't play will not be ready to play UConn in the NCAA. Haven't seen them don't know what to expect. Uconn still has one the best offenses and toughest defense to play against.

Reaction Score
SCar's guards fail time after time to get the ball to their posts when they're in position. It just doesn't seem to be part of their basketball DNA. Let me amend that. Henderson had 6 of the teams 11 assists, but most of her assists are off the dribble. Once again these two guards show what poor shooters they are by shooting 10-32. Once again Boston had less shots than either guard. Once again in order to get any shots she had to pull outside and went 1-4 from the arc. Yes, 4 of her 11 shots were from the arc.

This is a poor passing, poor shooting team. Dawn's offense is grab the rebound and run to the hoop. When that fails dump it inside. When that fails, guards please create. That is not an offense system. I've complained before that Dawn failed to realize that when you have a dominant center you need to surround that post with shooters. Some good and unselfish passers would help as well. I don't see any great shooters coming next year either. IMO these loses are not the players fault. I put SCar's loses solely on the shoulders of Dawn.
Very interesting analysis

Reaction Score
So confused by Boston. I posted 6 weeks ago about my perception that she was out of shape and got hammered by the SC faithful. I get the SEC Channel and Boston seems constantly out of breath, doesn't move fluidly, and is getting few shots at the basket. Based on her size, strength, and skill, should be the most dominate player in women's college basketball and while I don't want to play her again, don't understand her current level of performance.
She is always the last person up the court in transition

Reaction Score
Yes, I watched the game today. Boston sat out like 6 minutes in the first quarter and then she took another shorter break in the 2nd quarter. I challenge the top 100 college basketball experts to choose today between Boston and our Aaliyah. I don't care what position they are listed at. What % chooses our Aaliyah or their Aliyah.
BTW I think we want to play them again. I said after the first SC game that we could have beaten them by 20. How about after seeing SC today and how UConn has been playing the last couple of weeks. Bring it on.

Reaction Score
Yes, I watched the game today. Boston sat out like 6 minutes in the first quarter and then she took another shorter break in the 2nd quarter. I challenge the top 100 college basketball experts to choose today between Boston and our Aaliyah. I don't care what position they are listed at. What % chooses our Aaliyah or their Aliyah.
BTW I think we want to play them again. I said after the first SC game that we could have beaten them by 20. How about after seeing SC today and how UConn has been playing the last couple of weeks. Bring it on.
They will be lucky to best Arkansas in the quarterfinals. By March 15th, they could be a three seed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They will be lucky to best Arkansas in the quarterfinals. By March 15th, they could be a three seed.

No way on earth South Carolina loses to Arkansas in the quarterfinals.

Reaction Score

I was actually just trying to make nice with someone who took a little bit of umbrage with my earlier comment, but I don’t disagree with anything you said, so I’m honored to be a springboard to your quality rant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom