Giants hire Joe Judge (Patriots ST/WR Coach) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Giants hire Joe Judge (Patriots ST/WR Coach)

Reaction Score
What do you think of the hire?

He's excellent. Will do a good job for the Giants. Don't know about the politics with Gettelman though. & obviously don't know what his organizational skills are. But out of all the guy who have left the Patriots over the last year (there have been 8 assistant coaches who departed), he was the 3rd most well regarded after McDaniels and Flores.

The Patriots have lost a ton of people: WR coach O’Shea, DC Brian Flores, DL coach Brendan Daly, CB coach Josh Boyer, QB coach Jerry Schuplinski, ST coach Judge, a few other assistant assistants, and soon perhaps OC Josh McDaniels. Of all these guys, Judge was judged to be #3.

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]
Typical Boneyard, pre-Judging decisions made by experts.
We're the only fanbase who does that.

Also, no reason to be skeptical of those experts who hired McAdoo and Shurmur as head coaches and gave the Giants the worst record in football over the last 3 seasons.

Reaction Score
Roger Goodell....please step up, take control, and save this franchise.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Judge has been the special teams coordinator for 5 years.

I'm not sure how that translates to head coach, but we'll certainly see. Honestly this reminds me of when the Snyder named Jim Zorn head coach after Joe Gibbs retired the second time. Seems a bit panic-y.

Reaction Score
I think the was the ST coach before becoming WR coach
I think he's been ST coach since 2015, and then added WR coaching duties last year. So the last two years, he's been ST and WR coach I believe. @upstater is that true?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think he's been ST coach since 2015, and then added WR coaching duties last year. So the last two years, he's been ST and WR coach I believe. @upstater is that true?

I think that’s right. Was Special Teams coach under Saban at Alabama too. I suspect he’s a sharp guy with a good all around understanding of the game and will make a good HC. Good hire by the Giants.

Reaction Score

I think it's only this year. Chad O'Shea, the recently fired OC of the Dolphins, was the WR coach last year and before that.

Reaction Score

Also, no reason to be skeptical of those experts who hired McAdoo and Shurmur as head coaches and gave the Giants the worst record in football over the last 3 seasons.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I left off the :rolleyes:, as it appears, again, my sense of humor doesn't translate well when not in person.

Another thought, the Giants' braintrust just might feel lightning can strike twice and this coach will burst on the scene like Aaron Judge!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Sorry, I left off the :rolleyes:, as it appears, again, my sense of humor doesn't translate well when not in person.

Another thought, the Giants' braintrust just might feel lightning can strike twice and this coach will burst on the scene like Aaron Judge!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

Or Mike Judge?

Reaction Score
Judge has been the special teams coordinator for 5 years.

I'm not sure how that translates to head coach, but we'll certainly see. Honestly this reminds me of when the Snyder named Jim Zorn head coach after Joe Gibbs retired the second time. Seems a bit panic-y.
Doesn't happen often but the last ST coach hired as a head coach worked out: John Harbaugh.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Doesn't happen often but the last ST coach hired as a head coach worked out: John Harbaugh.
Don't know if the Ravens were panic-y, per se, but he wasn't their 1st choice either (Incidently, Harbaugh was recommended by Belichick to Steve Bisciotti.).

Reaction Score
Don't know if the Ravens were panic-y, per se, but he wasn't their 1st choice either (Incidently, Harbaugh was recommended by Belichick to Steve Bisciotti.).
Yup. He was 2nd choice behind Garrett. Thank you Jerry Jones for saving me from that and enjoying Harbaugh all this time. But I don't think it was a panicky hire, a lot of fans were reacting the same way I see Giants fans reacting, upset we hired someone nobody knew. Big difference is we had Ozzie as our GM so we had to trust him, Gettleman tho...

Reaction Score
I'm not hating it, but we'll see.

Relatively young guy. Plus.
Worked under Saban and Belichick. Plus.
Extended special teams experience means he likely has good player/fringe roster management skills, underappreciated part of the job. Plus.

No head coaching or game situation management experience. Minus.
Relative inexperience means Gettlemen will likely still hold a lot of power. Minus.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yup. He was 2nd choice behind Garrett. Thank you Jerry Jones for saving me from that and enjoying Harbaugh all this time. But I don't think it was a panicky hire, a lot of fans were reacting the same way I see Giants fans reacting, upset we hired someone nobody knew. Big difference is we had Ozzie as our GM so we had to trust him, Gettleman tho...
So the two ends of the spectrum have been defined. On the one end is an 11 year, Super Bowl winning, fringe-HoF head coach.

On the other? A former QB coach, who spent roughly 32 days and exactly zero games as an offensive coordinator, before being promoted to the head slot by one of the most incompetent owners in franchise sports history, before returning to positional ranks.

The reality is that Judge will be somewhere in between, but my guess is probably to the Zorn-of-Center. For sake, I hope he doesn't end up in the XFL after an eight year hiatus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom