Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As a UConn fan I'm aware that people have their favorite players and want to see that player score 30 points every game and win a championship. Some want to see UConn win every game by 50 points. Unfortunately this team ain't built that way. What occasionally amuses me is how some just see the game projected on their own eyelids and not what's there in front of their eyes. Since the ARK game Geno has scratched the 4 or 5 out system and went to multiple screens and sets for Paige. To facilitate that he's also gone to Nika who is his second best passer and a good screener while playing Paige off the ball.

Tonight Geno's offense centered around getting CW the ball in space for her to get off the schnied. That meant going back to 4 or 5 out. That meant Paige playing on the ball. There were no horn sets. There were no down screens, back screens, curl screens, double screens, stagger screens, flare screens, flex screens (one of Geno's favorite for Paige), or those away screens that Geno also loves. This game was about shots for CW and trying to get his second best offensive option into some sort of rhythm so that the scoring pressure is off of Paige. This team cannot win a championship without other offensive options. Period. Now I know some people want to see Paige score 30 or 40 points every game, but in the history of basketball I've never seen 4 players set screens and play defense while one player does all the scoring. It just ain't gonna happen. Paige had 6 shots in the half for a reason, and that reason is championships are all about team and players. Not player.

People also forget that this is one tired young team. These guys have never experienced anything like the schedule they've gone through this season, and many are unprepared to play through this kind of fatigue. Most young players have poor practice, dietary, sleeping and waking habits. That stuff gets shaved off as they approach their senior year, but these 7 freshmen barely know court play. Managing their off court affairs at this level is a mystery to them. This will change but it will take time. They've only played 17 games in their college careers. The absolute best thing about this game was Geno's decision to get CW more shots. Geno though is in a bind. Clearly he would love to play 4 or 5 out. He's won 11 championships playing this read and react style. He knows this style is a recipe for winning yet he also knows this team cannot play that kind of spacing game and win at this time. This team has problems getting easy baskets. They get few in transition, few from the block, not enough from TO's and little from the perimeter. He needs to find the right balance between style and players. Let's hope he finds it. By the way, without being the focus of the offense Paige still scored 19 had 9 assists and shot 60% from the field. Not too shabby.

Reaction Score
This is a very tired team. Geno is giving them 2 days off before 2 days of practice leading up to Wednesday's game. We just can't start games that way. There has too be a huge uptick in early movement to get everyone involved. We should be putting a team like that away conclusively by the end of the first half. Perhaps the 2 day rest and then 2 days of practice will have a cathartic effect on them. We are going to see a new cohesiveness at some point this year but as Geno pointed out, you usually will have played 24 games by this point in the season.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Not watching this game. But we are 15-1 and Georgetown is 1-9 and we beat them by only 24 pts?
Not good. Both CW and Paige have 19 pts so happy for CW.

Edited: I forget this is the last game of a 5 games road trip. A win is a win.
Actually this is the first game of a 5 game road trip. It's the last game of 5 games in 10 days.

JBK

Reaction Score
Paige could score 30 every game but differs to others. We are offensively challenged. I don't know why Evina doesn't want to take some shots that are open. If our guards can't or won't shoot I think we should go big with Liv ,Aaliyah Liv, Paige, and Evina, or Christyn whoever seems to play better or want to shoot and help the scoring load. Nika can sub some minutes.
Really well said.
For so many possessions tonight passes went from Nika to Westbrook to Liv and no one wanted to shoot the ball. I was rooting very hard for Nika, but her offensive game is very limited and her shot is average at best. I agree on getting Edwards and Aubrey in the lineup earlier.
The team is tired, but not capable of winning a National Championship scoring 60 points of late.

Reaction Score
not much to say, if the game like this just set for CW play
then please let saylor ,mir and paith play more minutes
and let PB rest more
Maybe resting PB will be helpful, because beating the 189th ranked team by 23 is embarrassing. I'd hate to be at the next practice.

Reaction Score
I don't feel any better. I think we all need a couple of days off. It's like when I'm shooting around in a funk, I call out, "that's one in a row". That's UConn right now, "one in a row".
Every player ES, MS, HS, College, Elite College, NBA, has their shot. Think of your favorite player and you can say where their shots are. Do we know where our UConn players shots are? (except Paige) How do we get on runs if we can't make shots. E made those 2 big ones against Tenn and she's 0 for our last 5 games. Nika has to make that set 3-pointer. AG has to hit those driving layups. AE has to finish from the block.
Why aren't we passing the ball to our posts when they are open. We wait until we have to thread the needle. It's like hockey; it's the pass leading to the pass that leads to the goal. Why is everyone trying to be a hero. Pass it to the open player. Newsflash: if AE has to wrestle the ball from 3 defenders, it's not a good pass. Our posts flash middle and our guards stare at them. (CW big time) Pass it to them and move. Posts, catch the ball, take your time, pivot, and do something with it. It's like winning territory on the battlefield and just retreating to where you were before. Attack!
Why is Mir catching the ball on the block and just passing it back out. Back to my earlier thought- that's her shot. Take it!!!! Ringing in my head: those possessions we pass it around like the ball's a hot potato, with 3-4 players passing up THEIR shots. If you don't have a shot, even a layup, then don't shoot, ever! Do other things!
Tell us where your shots are! We'll get you the ball there and you'll make the shot! Then we'll play D and we'll come back down here and do the same thing, over and over.
Come on, let's get on a run!

Reaction Score
Not much say on this one. Hope that they get a good rest. At least Geno is positive on the interiew. Glad to see that. I don't like to re-hash what you already saw. Very happy for Chrystin getting some nice points on the board.
CW................19 against 1-10 Georgetown? Big Whoop!

Reaction Score
Despite all the complaining people ( I might include myself among them) are doing, this team is closer to winning a National Championship than it was last year.
Much closer. We have more depth, and Paige gives us a clutch offensive player. However, we need more people to contribute on offense.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well at least every time Georgetown had the ball she didn't want to stand on a chair and scream "Let's go Dawn" or "Please score Hennie".

Reaction Score
Lets see, someone rated Paige a B+ and Nika a B- when Paige had 19 points on 10 shots, 9 assts, 2 TO and Nika had 3 points on 5 shots ( half of Paige's shots) 6 assts/3 TO. I would go see the principal on that lousy grading.
Paige has no interest in scoring a lot of points against a poor team, just get the W , hopefully get your teammates some confidence and move on.
I think the thing that concerns Geno, is all the poor shooting and turnovers when Paige is not handling the ball.
Nika was good the game that Paige missed. He could have taken Paige out when he put in Piath. Saylor should have entered the game, too.

Reaction Score
You know, you could be a lot more positive than that. She scored 19. Why the hell can't you be pleased with that instead of trying to tear down her success. Right now the whole team is struggling.
I'm not tearing down her success..............I'm putting it in context.

Reaction Score
haha. you're bent out of shape over that?

First, Ono has traditionally been a 50% FT shooter (though she's up to 62% this year), so she's hardly above criticism.
Second, she does not have a great shot -- pretty flat.

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan I'm aware that people have their favorite players and want to see that player score 30 points every game and win a championship. Some want to see UConn win every game by 50 points. Unfortunately this team ain't built that way. What occasionally amuses me is how some just see the game projected on their own eyelids and not what's there in front of their eyes. Since the ARK game Geno has scratched the 4 or 5 out system and went to multiple screens and sets for Paige. To facilitate that he's also gone to Nika who is his second best passer and a good screener while playing Paige off the ball.

Tonight Geno's offense centered around getting CW the ball in space for her to get off the schnied. That meant going back to 4 or 5 out. That meant Paige playing on the ball. There were no horn sets. There were no down screens, back screens, curl screens, double screens, stagger screens, flare screens, flex screens (one of Geno's favorite for Paige), or those away screens that Geno also loves. This game was about shots for CW and trying to get his second best offensive option into some sort of rhythm so that the scoring pressure is off of Paige. This team cannot win a championship without other offensive options. Period. Now I know some people want to see Paige score 30 or 40 points every game, but in the history of basketball I've never seen 4 players set screens and play defense while one player does all the scoring. It just ain't gonna happen. Paige had 6 shots in the half for a reason, and that reason is championships are all about team and players. Not player.

People also forget that this is one tired young team. These guys have never experienced anything like the schedule they've gone through this season, and many are unprepared to play through this kind of fatigue. Most young players have poor practice, dietary, sleeping and waking habits. That stuff gets shaved off as they approach their senior year, but these 7 freshmen barely know court play. Managing their off court affairs at this level is a mystery to them. This will change but it will take time. They've only played 17 games in their college careers. The absolute best thing about this game was Geno's decision to get CW more shots. Geno though is in a bind. Clearly he would love to play 4 or 5 out. He's won 11 championships playing this read and react style. He knows this style is a recipe for winning yet he also knows this team cannot play that kind of spacing game and win at this time. This team has problems getting easy baskets. They get few in transition, few from the block, not enough from TO's and little from the perimeter. He needs to find the right balance between style and players. Let's hope he finds it. By the way, without being the focus of the offense Paige still scored 19 had 9 assists and shot 60% from the field. Not too shabby.

The team beat S.C. They won. They won. You never saw what Paige did either and yet you witnessed it and it seems you are still trying to deny it.

One big advantage of playing in the Big East is that UCON can do different things to work on their weaknesses (which is in part why those that criticized UCONN being in the Big East were wrong.).

While the team necessarily can't win it all with Paige having to score over 30 - it definitely can't win it all if Paige isn't the focal point to take the most shots unless someone shows a great efficiency as well. To not give as many shots as you can to a player who is shooting over 55% from 3 and can drill 2pointers just as easy is mistake.

Paige Bueckers is putting up historic numbers. Until shown she can be stopped- why should UCON try to stop her from shooting the ball if no other team shows they can? Let's not have UCONN be the ones to stop Paige Bueckers who IS CURRENTLY breaking all the rules.

In the interim run whatever offense you want to get players going. But in the Big Games-- Bueckers needs to shoot.

Some players come up from time-to-time that prove to be game changers. You don't fight this. Instead force the other team to do something more extreme in order to stop Bueckers. But for now - sure run whatever offense to get others going. But it still has to be better than what CWill showed in order to change Paige from a scorer to a passer. Worry about winning the current game in which you have a legit shot to lose and not the next game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
it seems to me that Paige was not taking shots she took in the last some games as the team was working hard to get CW shots...i just don't see UConn wins an big game without Paige shooting at least 20 times in a game....

Reaction Score
I agree. But it's for 2 reasons. Paige. And no one this year is as good as Oregon, South Carolina, and Baylor were last year.

I can care less about last year. Why you think it matters so much to mention it? DT's 02-03 and 03-4 teams weren't as good as 01-02 - and probably not as good as Oklahoma 01-02.

The team is doing fine. Five games ten days. The rest of the season they can work on their weaknesses and maybe have one other tough game leading up to the Big East is fine.

Reaction Score
it seems to me that Paige was not taking shots she took in the last some games as the team was working hard to get CW shots...i just don't see UConn wins an big game without Paige shooting at least 20 times in a game....
I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that the strategy employed against Georgetown will not be the strategy employed in a big game.

Reaction Score
You know, you could be a lot more positive than that. She scored 19. Why the hell can't you be pleased with that instead of trying to tear down her success. Right now the whole team is struggling.
CW is fighting some kind of shooting demon, UConn needs more than her shooting to get better to win a championship this year....Liv needs to be a stronger post and Evina needs to keep pushing her game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom