Georgetown Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Georgetown game:
  • Did anyone else celebrate when Christyn hit her first two 3’s? 8/19 is nothing to write home about, but it’s a hell of a lot better than putting up an 0-for.
  • Yet another painfully slow start. Fatigue? Lack of concentration? Playing with a Wilson basketball?
  • Paige with a somewhat low-key 19 pts and 9 assists.
  • Good defensive effort, again. Maybe that's just this team's personality; start slow and win ugly?
  • It certainly doesn't feel like it, but on Monday UConn will be the consensus #1 team in the country. I think that is a reflection of a season when no team has settled into a consistent level of play.
  • UConn just completed and won 5 games in 10 days, including a tough stretch against Marquette, SC & Seton Hall. Getting used to playing every other day is good practice for the Big Dance. The team is reasonably healthy and in need of a couple well-deserved days off.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So I said before the game that I would not be surprised to see the final MOV be in the 25 point range.

I said that because even tho their record was 1-9, their last 2 games were single digit losses to Seton Hall and Marquette. Not sure if G-town had some injuries early on or what, but IMHO, they were not as bad as their record. At least as of lately.

First, congrats to Christyn for scoring some points. She hit 3-pointers early and I worried that result might convince her she’s back to being a shooter. At numerous times in the 1st half, she had about 50% of UCONN’s total shot attempts. She’s NOT the person who should be taking half our shots.

Maybe that was a conscious effort by Geno to try to boost her confidence, but the sooner she realizes she’s not a shooter, and rather a slasher, the better off she will be. It’s games like this that lead to games like 2-12 from 3. Today she was 3-9. Just way too many attempts IMHO, I don’t care how wide open she is.

Last point on CW – 19 points on 19 shots. Paige, 19 points on 10 shot attempts. Who really should be taking most of the shots?

Having said that, good effort by her on defense and better hustling as far as my untrained eyes could see.

Turnovers in the first half were tough to see and sloppy. Seems like it was cleaned up in the 2nd half. Nika played hard as always. Evina seemed off tonight. I get that Geno is building towards March, but I’d like to see more of Edwards and Griffin, and less of Westbrook, Williams, and ONO. If Anna doesn’t come back (even if she does she may well be super rusty and out of shape), we will need Liya and Aubrey.

Both Nika and LIya seem to be playing just as hard but without the fouls. That’s great to see.

Overall, it seems like Georgetown’s defense is about on par with South Carolina’s. Not a stellar offensive performance by any stretch. Credit to Georgetown for playing hard. Our defense was pretty solid keeping that Morris kid from scoring a bunch. A pair of 12 point quarters sandwiched around a pair of single digit scoring quarters. Ugly win for sure tho...

Reaction Score
Not watching this game. But we are 15-1 and Georgetown is 1-9 and we beat them by only 24 pts?
Not good. Both CW and Paige have 19 pts so happy for CW.

Edited: I forget this is the last game of a 5 games road trip. a 10 days 5 games schedule. A win is a win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not much say on this one. Hope that they get a good rest. At least Geno is positive on the interiew. Glad to see that. I don't like to re-hash what you already saw. Very happy for Chrystin getting some nice points on the board.

Reaction Score
  • Did anyone else celebrate when Christyn hit her first two 3’s? 8/19 is nothing to write home about, but it’s a hell of a lot better than putting up an 0-for.
  • Yet another painfully slow start. Fatigue? Lack of concentration? Playing with a Wilson basketball?
  • Good defensive effort, again. Maybe that's just this team's personality; start slow and win ugly?
  • It certainly doesn't feel like it, but on Monday UConn will be the consensus #1 team in the country. I think that is a reflection of a season when no team has settled into a consistent level of play.
  • UConn just completed and won 5 games in 10 days, including a tough stretch against Marquette, SC & Seton Hall. Getting used to playing every other day is good practice for the Big Dance. The team is reasonably healthy and in need of a couple well-deserved days off.
Yes, it's the lack of consistent play that's troubling. Games all seem to be adventures when most shouldn't be. I'd love to see some of that old UConn smoothness, which is another way of saying that I'd love to see a team. Everything seems pretty disjointed from the game plan to the individual efforts. CW maybe needed this to be a rehab game for her, and, in part, it was. But for every good thing a player did it seems there was a bad thing that followed closely. There was no one on the court tonight who was without sin.
I think we all, players and fans, need a break. Amen.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not watching this game. But we are 15-1 and Georgetown is 1-9 and we beat them by only 24 pts?
Not good. Both CW and Paige have 19 pts.
True but this team has played 5 games in last 10 days. I think the only player not nicked in that span is ONO. They need some rest. 17 Days and 5 games until the end of the regular season.

Reaction Score
I watched paint dry tonight. Nice to see Christyn score but shooting percentage was not good. Tonight was Evina's night off. Perhaps she and Christyn are alternating. Have you ever tried to drive a car on 2 cylinders? Not a lawnmower but a car. Eric @ LA is pretty spot on with his assessment. Paige B+ Christyn B Olivia B Evina C+ Nika B- Aubrey B Aaliya B- Just not a WOW game

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not good.
Judge Judy Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
Not much say on this one. Hope that they get a good rest. At least Geno is positive on the interiew. Glad to see that. I don't like to re-hash what you already saw. Very happy for Chrystin getting some nice points on the board.
I think Geno is trying to downplay Christyn’s struggles. Probably figures it’s better for her if she doesn’t have to hear a constant litany of her shortcomings. Glad to see her play better tonight.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Geno is trying to downplay Christyn’s struggles. Probably figures it’s better for her if she doesn’t have to hear a constant litany of her shortcomings. Glad to see her play better tonight.
On the contrary, Geno is makings sure that CW knows that the team needs her. That was evident from the opening tip tonight.

Reaction Score
Paige could score 30 every game but differs to others. We are offensively challenged. I don't know why Evina doesn't want to take some shots that are open. If our guards can't or won't shoot I think we should go big with Liv ,Aaliyah Liv, Paige, and Evina, or Christyn whoever seems to play better or want to shoot and help the scoring load. Nika can sub some minutes.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Luv your post game thoughts. Thanks!
We just have to accept the fact this is a very good team with Paige. It is not a dominant team. The dominate Stewie years spoiled all of us. This how they play. Hey, they are 16-1. Don't worry about the style points. Simply focus on the points at game end. That is all that matters.

Reaction Score
Lets see, someone rated Paige a B+ and Nika a B- when Paige had 19 points on 10 shots, 9 assts, 2 TO and Nika had 3 points on 5 shots ( half of Paige's shots) 6 assts/3 TO. I would go see the principal on that lousy grading.
Paige has no interest in scoring a lot of points against a poor team, just get the W , hopefully get your teammates some confidence and move on.
I think the thing that concerns Geno, is all the poor shooting and turnovers when Paige is not handling the ball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Luv your post game thoughts. Thanks!
We just have to accept the fact this is a very good team with Paige. It is not a dominant team. The dominate Stewie years spoiled all of us. This how they play. Hey, they are 16-1. Don't worry about the style points. Simply focus on the points at game end. That is all that matters.
Despite all the complaining people ( I might include myself among them) are doing, this team is closer to winning a National Championship than it was last year.

Reaction Score
It looks like Mir is almost out of the rotation, after bringing energy vs both Tennessee and Arkansas, she didn’t play against South Carolina, played 1 minute vs Seton Hall, and got mop up minutes again tonight when the game was already in hand.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom