Georgetown Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Newton is fouled every he drives to hoop and gets no calls. it is probably very frustrating for him and effects other parts of his game. Georgetown players tripped over their own feet several times during the game and the refs bailed them out with calls.

Players are tackling each other on rebounds, and no calls, then someone drives to hoop or shoots a 3 and there is a foul for breathing near the person. It is just awful inconsistent officiating. I don’t understand why the league has not replaced these refs. Every year the league embarrasses itself with its amateur officiating. Why is it so hard for them to find better refs? The explanation is someone high up in the league is making money on point spread manipulation and having wildly inconsistent awful refs hides it.

Reaction Score
I bet you're thrilled, you've gotten to complain a few games in a row now. And he's still been mostly good despite that
He has? As I said before, if he keeps playing like he has these last 5 games he will be only an afterthought for the Wooden Award. I am certainly NOT thrilled.... Am just stating facts. You are wearing rose colored glasses.

Reaction Score
15-2, arguably the #1 team in the country (with or without the ranking) with lots of room to grow, surviving and then some without Clingan and Castle at different points, Jordan and Dre thriving and happy as pros, Ray a regular again. Things are good.

Also nice that Danny gets to have a way better birthday this year than last.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What they are saying about us. Unaltered quotes from hoyatalk

Pregame:
If no Clingan or Clingan in foul trouble game can be won.

UConn is not as good as last year and are slow and unathletic with Karaban and cam Spenser.

Watching Castle or Newton or Johnson and then calling them slow and unathletic is certainly a choice.

I like the optimism but there is zero shot we win this game. UConn now sees the #1 ranking in site.

I think we have a shot if no Clingan. Two of their starters are slow and unathletic.
Karaban is slow and lacks quick twitch. He’s also very soft. Fielder should be able to run circles around Karaban and dominate him. Can Spencer has a very high IQ and is automatic from 3 but is as slow as molasses. I think Rowan matches up really well with him and can use his in your chest/face defense to stifle Spencer. Their center Samson Johnson is very long and quick but is a string bean. If Supreme can put a body on him he should be able to anchor him to the floor.

Game:
Forgot how much i dislike Hurley. Need to get more ball movement on offense. UConn had one sequence with 7 passes ending with a bucket in the lane.

UConn seems to be lulled to sleep by us. Surprised to be this close despite not being able to hit a 3, and an unkind whistle thus far.

Epps 1-6 and ball dominant. UCONN’s length giving him problems.

The Uconn defensive strategy is obvious...run us off the 3 point line. 3 taken total (none made).

Somebody needs to be living in Karaban's jersey all game.

Yep. Talent disparity is just enormous

G-d, I hate Hurley

Wow - Hurley completely outfoxes Cooley out of that timeout

Have to figure out a way to stick on Karaban.
Most of his 3s have been absolutely wide open practice shots.

If UConn was just shooting a tepid 7-13 from 3 instead of 9-13 it’s a 2 pt game!

Gtwn neds guys who can consistently hit the same 3 that UCONN's Spencer just did

I get Spencer and Karaban are good shooters getting good looks, but even Steph Curry misses. We are little unlucky they both can’t miss right now.

I really wanted Hurley with the Hoyas at one point and was really peeved when he went to UConn. I really don't like him either and I keep wondering if I would hate him if he were Hoya's coach (I have a feeling I still may).

The UCONN players are a lot classier than their coach

Nothing good ever comes from quoting trash from an opponent's board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great day at the XL Center. Good crowd. Too many fouls, but we’re a fun team to watch. Easy to cheer for these guys, led by AK and Cam. Newt is going through a tough stretch, but he’ll be fine. I’m really enjoying watching Castle develop. As mentioned before, there’s a good chance he’ll be our best player by the end of the season. Excited to get DC back so our rebounding advantage returns.

Nice to see UConn hockey and basketball win on back-to-back days at the XL Center. If only the Whalers were still here….oh, one more thing, Hartford’s a dump. Where’s the leadership? Rant over.

Reaction Score
He has? As I said before, if he keeps playing like he has these last 5 games he will be only an afterthought for the Wooden Award. I am certainly NOT thrilled.... Am just stating facts. You are wearing rose colored glasses.
I doubt he really cares about the wooden award. He just seems to want to win. We're 15-2, and close to getting our best player back.

He took 3 shots against depaul. If he cared about the awards, he wouldnt have done that.

Reaction Score
Yes, he has. He's averaging 11 points, 7 assists, 6 rebounds over those 5 games. He's been inefficient but if that's what he's going to bring on his supposed down nights I'm going to sign up for that every time. You have no idea what you're watching and have made that clear the last 2 years when you repeatedly root against one of our best players

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We scored 80, Newton nearly had a triple double, again. That he isn't playing like a NPOY or Consensus All-American every game isn't a reason to bash him. He is the primary reason everything else works. In this system, we don't want the PG to play iso-ball. He'll shoot better eventually. It's certainly not something to worry about.

Reaction Score
The luxury of depth we have when “healthy” , is our 5th best player is arguably Newton. We can withstand him stinkin because we are that good.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Supreme Cook sounds like the name of a discount line of frozen meals.
season 2 episode 3 GIF by IFC

Reaction Score
Lots of people confusing shooting poorly with playing poorly. Newton is the only one committed to dribble penetration, which is needed when the defense switches on every screen like Cooley does.

I’m actually pretty happy that he doesn’t seem to be letting the shooting slump impact the rest of his play like he did last year.

Reaction Score
Newton had his hand wrapped up (similar to AK's) for a few games. I didnt see it today, but he could be recovering from whatever it was that caused the wrap in the first place.
No argument that he's been playing below his typical level, but AK is back, Spencer is awesome, and Castle is coming into his own.
It seems like different teams try to take away different players from our team. TN will be fine.
We're 15-2, despite not having one of the best players in the conference.

Reaction Score
Lots of people confusing shooting poorly with playing poorly. Newton is the only one committed to dribble penetration, which is needed when the defense switches on every screen like Cooley does.

I’m actually pretty happy that he doesn’t seem to be letting the shooting slump impact the rest of his play like he did last year.
He came out of the half and turned the ball over on three of the first 5 possessions and shot a 3 off the backboard. The best play he made today was the foul on Cook which completely mentally collapsed that dude.

Reaction Score
If Supreme can stay in the game, he will get fat on many dinner plates. But he has got to stay in. Cooley did us a favor by not pulling him when he had 4 fouls. That kid can play.
I was fond of him at Fairfield, my pops works there so I respect how he came to play today cause he really a good kid

Reaction Score
Cook had a monster game. It was played exactly how Cooley would have wanted it played and still GTown was never really in it. Without Clingan. That is why this is currently the best team in the country. I love KenPom and Net, etc, but this is why you have to watch the games.

We were wondering how we'd get a needed basket without Sanogo and Hawkins. We have three guys who can do that, maybe not as well individually, but collectively they are right there. Add in the others who seem to show up when given a chance and we shouldn't be going long stretches without scoring.

We do need Samson to foul less, even after Clingan returns if we want to beat teams with legit inside presence. Gtown isn't that in spite of Cook's game today. He's not normally that effective.
Full strength Connecticut is the best team in the country

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You forgot the best one with the guy attacking Dan as a person
"Go to Georgetown. You too can become a superior person. Transcend the planet and look down on all the inferiors and feel so good about yourself"

Reaction Score
I'm one of those fans where a win is a win is pretty much what I say close to 100 percent. I still say this is the case, but if you had told me Uconn would shoot 50+% for the duration of the game and for a majority of it over 60 percent from 3, much of the time even 66 percent, making 13 threes (they missed their last three 3s after starting 13 for 20) , hold Gtown to under 30 percent shooting for much of the game and just 4 assists, at home, I'd think UConn would have won by 30, for sure not 12!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom