Georgetown Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Thread

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
What they are saying about us. Unaltered quotes from hoyatalk

Pregame:
If no Clingan or Clingan in foul trouble game can be won.

UConn is not as good as last year and are slow and unathletic with Karaban and cam Spenser.

Watching Castle or Newton or Johnson and then calling them slow and unathletic is certainly a choice.

I like the optimism but there is zero shot we win this game. UConn now sees the #1 ranking in site.

I think we have a shot if no Clingan. Two of their starters are slow and unathletic.
Karaban is slow and lacks quick twitch. He’s also very soft. Fielder should be able to run circles around Karaban and dominate him. Can Spencer has a very high IQ and is automatic from 3 but is as slow as molasses. I think Rowan matches up really well with him and can use his in your chest/face defense to stifle Spencer. Their center Samson Johnson is very long and quick but is a string bean. If Supreme can put a body on him he should be able to anchor him to the floor.

Game:
Forgot how much i dislike Hurley. Need to get more ball movement on offense. UConn had one sequence with 7 passes ending with a bucket in the lane.

UConn seems to be lulled to sleep by us. Surprised to be this close despite not being able to hit a 3, and an unkind whistle thus far.

Epps 1-6 and ball dominant. UCONN’s length giving him problems.

The Uconn defensive strategy is obvious...run us off the 3 point line. 3 taken total (none made).

Somebody needs to be living in Karaban's jersey all game.

Yep. Talent disparity is just enormous

G-d, I hate Hurley

Wow - Hurley completely outfoxes Cooley out of that timeout

Have to figure out a way to stick on Karaban.
Most of his 3s have been absolutely wide open practice shots.

If UConn was just shooting a tepid 7-13 from 3 instead of 9-13 it’s a 2 pt game!

Gtwn neds guys who can consistently hit the same 3 that UCONN's Spencer just did

I get Spencer and Karaban are good shooters getting good looks, but even Steph Curry misses. We are little unlucky they both can’t miss right now.

I really wanted Hurley with the Hoyas at one point and was really peeved when he went to UConn. I really don't like him either and I keep wondering if I would hate him if he were Hoya's coach (I have a feeling I still may).

The UCONN players are a lot classier than their coach
Wow the Hurley hate is precious. Thanks for posting this. They must feel silly that two slow unathletic players just torched them. Have to give the fans credit that they are still paying attention as bad as they have been.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
You forgot the best one with the guy attacking Dan as a person
Could they be more wrong…..I thought Georgetown was a very good school. Seems like they don’t really do much research before writing. I mean look at the character of their coach and what he did at his last job.

Reaction Score
This wasn’t one of our best years on offense.

The starting lineup was Kemba, Dyson, Sticks, AO, and Okwandu (ew). Didn’t really stand a chance to run a good offense. It was like 2021.

2011 offense had much more of a healthy mix of passing and iso ability.

Really just brought up that clip to show how Calhoun held everyone accountable to a standard no matter who you were. Senior leader or not.

Plus, barely losing to that Kentucky team with 2 future NBA All Stars and others with that roster isn’t necessarily bad. That team is probably easily the best team in the country today. They don’t have talent like that in college hoops anymore it seems.
Don’t ever “ew” Okwandu. He loves this team!

Reaction Score
Stats list Stewart with 0 Rebounds? I know he got at least 1.

Newton was just off today, 0-6 from 3, 2-11 overall. Curious, I thought he had really been shooting well lately.
Stewart absolutely had at least one. Terrible omission. And Newton has been dreadful from distance and even mid range lately.

Reaction Score
Karaban is slow and lacks quick twitch. He’s also very soft. Fielder should be able to run circles around Karaban and dominate him.​

Oof on that one. Karaban outscored Fielder 26-2. Now Fielder only played 15 minutes off the bench and maybe didn’t get as much PT as that poster expected, so if you throw the starter in there (Massoud), Karaban outscored them both 26-6.

Reaction Score
Wow the Hurley hate is precious. Thanks for posting this. They must feel silly that two slow unathletic players just torched them. Have to give the fans credit that they are still paying attention as bad as they have been.
Wasn’t Larry Bird slow and unathletic?

Orc

Reaction Score
Uconn is a fouling machine this year. Too many FTs attempted by their opponents

Reaction Score
Couldn’t watch live and just caught the replay. I’m glad for that because I could fast forward through all the free throws. And there was still a lot that WASN’T called. Boxing match today

Good
  • Obviously Karaban MVP. 6 threes and the most energy by far
  • Can Cam Spencer run a mile under 10 minutes? Doesn’t matter because he put up another 20 piece
  • Stewart with two BIG BOY rebounds and took a red carpet run to the rim for a big dunk. Coming into his own
  • It felt like Castle was having a bad game but then I checked the box score and he had 14/4/4. Living at the rim and thus the FT line
Bad
  • Same as every other game, bad perimeter defense and no rim presence. Easily fixable when DC is back
Supreme Cook is a beast. He ate us alive and nobody could stop him. He had more o-boards than our entire team and made us look like little kids

Honestly, Georgetown played pretty well (minus their mini meltdown at the end). They kept it around 7-10 points for most of the game even though they were 20pt underdogs. But they couldn’t keep up with the Huskies, we pulled away at the end, and now we wait for 1pm tomorrow…

Reaction Score
This is the type of game that will only help us in the long-term should Clingan and the remainder of our lineup remains healthy.

As the small ball 5, Karaban keeps getting tougher down low and is adding more creativity to his cut game inside the arc. You’ll never know when we’ll need a small-ball lineup later this year and all the kudos to Karaban.

Despite his shooting struggles early in the game, Newton continues to showcase his ability as a closer. Love his poise and ability to play in a variety of tempos. He’s a cool guy, but I like his increase in toughness too and personally, it’s fun seeing him yap it up.

Spencer is a warrior. What a perfect fit with this team. Diarra is a perfect 3-and-D bench weapon.

So…who’s #1?
LOVED Spencer jumping in front of TN and mixing it up with the GTown player after the foul. This kid is pretty fearless.

Reaction Score
LOVED Spencer jumping in front of TN and mixing it up with the GTown player after the foul. This kid is pretty fearless.
For real. That GTown player was Supreme Cook who is a 6’9 tank. Would easily kill Cam in a fight, but Cam stepped up to him and shoved him anyway. Ultimate teammate lol

Reaction Score
Good:
1. AK and Cam were lethal from 3.
2. AK playing the 5 really seems to help him get into the flow on offensive (as he can take the other teams center off the dribble), but defensively we lose a lot on post defense and rebounding.
3. Castle is a stat sheet stuffer, and does it without much drama. That deep 3 was nice to see.
4. J. Stewart played well in his minutes.

Bad:
1. Newton is shooting poorly and a lot of it is just bad shot selection (pull-up 3's from NBA range). BE officiating seems to know Newton likes to drive and many times try to sell contact, so it's no surprise the refs have a tight whistle for Newton. Newton has a nice pull-up jumper, and I think he should utilize it more on his drives to the basket.
2. Solo has not played well recently. I was hoping he turned a corner and would expand on his game, but right now, he's not contributing much.
3. Samson has not rebounded well. Partly due to being out of position, and partly due to being outmuscled (Cook looked to be much stronger).

Overall, the positive end result is another conference win without one of our star players, but the game's pace and flow was just terrible with all the fouls called.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
What they are saying about us. Unaltered quotes from hoyatalk

Pregame:
If no Clingan or Clingan in foul trouble game can be won.

UConn is not as good as last year and are slow and unathletic with Karaban and cam Spenser.

Watching Castle or Newton or Johnson and then calling them slow and unathletic is certainly a choice.

I like the optimism but there is zero shot we win this game. UConn now sees the #1 ranking in site.

I think we have a shot if no Clingan. Two of their starters are slow and unathletic.
Karaban is slow and lacks quick twitch. He’s also very soft. Fielder should be able to run circles around Karaban and dominate him. Can Spencer has a very high IQ and is automatic from 3 but is as slow as molasses. I think Rowan matches up really well with him and can use his in your chest/face defense to stifle Spencer. Their center Samson Johnson is very long and quick but is a string bean. If Supreme can put a body on him he should be able to anchor him to the floor.

Game:
Forgot how much i dislike Hurley. Need to get more ball movement on offense. UConn had one sequence with 7 passes ending with a bucket in the lane.

UConn seems to be lulled to sleep by us. Surprised to be this close despite not being able to hit a 3, and an unkind whistle thus far.

Epps 1-6 and ball dominant. UCONN’s length giving him problems.

The Uconn defensive strategy is obvious...run us off the 3 point line. 3 taken total (none made).

Somebody needs to be living in Karaban's jersey all game.

Yep. Talent disparity is just enormous

G-d, I hate Hurley

Wow - Hurley completely outfoxes Cooley out of that timeout

Have to figure out a way to stick on Karaban.
Most of his 3s have been absolutely wide open practice shots.

If UConn was just shooting a tepid 7-13 from 3 instead of 9-13 it’s a 2 pt game!

Gtwn neds guys who can consistently hit the same 3 that UCONN's Spencer just did

I get Spencer and Karaban are good shooters getting good looks, but even Steph Curry misses. We are little unlucky they both can’t miss right now.

I really wanted Hurley with the Hoyas at one point and was really peeved when he went to UConn. I really don't like him either and I keep wondering if I would hate him if he were Hoya's coach (I have a feeling I still may).

The UCONN players are a lot classier than their coach

Stewart is a better option than Samson. Certainly goes after the ball for rebounds more aggressively. With DC back I could see a place where Stewart starts to get more minutes than Samson. Hurley kept him on the bench for most of the second half even though he only had 3 fouls. Feel bad for him that he is regressing. Was hoping and really thought we would get more from him with the way he was playing early.
If Samson doesn't figure it out we will be seeing more of Stewart. We have to have a presence on the boards. Competition is always good. I feel like I am watching Polley on the boards when I see Samson. He has to bring an aggressiveness for something other than fouling. I hope he turns it around. He is very gifted physically but also underweight for his position.

Reaction Score
Newton was just off today, 0-6 from 3, 2-11 overall. Curious, I though he had really been shooting well lately.
He has not. Not sure what games you're thinking about but it's been a while since he's shot well. Here are his shooting numbers the last few games. 3 pointers in parentheses. I hope he breaks out soon. I'm sure he will.

Georgetown: 2-11 (0-6)
Xavier: 5-16 (3-7)
Butler: 3-12 (1-8)
DePaul: 0-3 (0-2)
St. John's: 4-14 (1-6)
Seton Hall: 5-12 (2-5)
Gonzaga: 3-7 (2-5)
Arkansas-Pine Bluff: 3-7 (1-5)

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
What was his FT% and # for those games though? Sometimes he trades buckets for FTs. He hasn't been shooting well though, no argument there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom