Geno's Frustrations | The Boneyard

Geno's Frustrations

Reaction Score
There are two common themes that have been brought up in Geno's post game press conferences. Why the slow starts to games? How do you compare Paige's freshman year to other Uconn stars?
His answers, as usual, are direct and insightful.
To question number one. Someone other than Paige needs to make a shot. "If we shoot 10 for 11 in the first qtr are slow starts would be over".
To question number two, he compares Paige's freshman year to DT's junior year where D had no other AA on the team, and the offense, plus and minus was dependent on her.
His answer was basically saying that his current upperclassmen , who have the talent to be AA ,are not playing any where near that level. Its great that CW had a good game against Georgetown, however in two games she has not scored at all. Hardly AA level play.
Liv has been just as inconsistent. One great game followed by a dud.
Evina has also shown signs of brilliance, but in her last 4 games she is 9-27 shooting ( including a 6-12), 1-13 from 3's, and just under 4 TO's per game.
Geno realizes a team dependent on just one player is very vulnerable to lose during the tournament when it counts.

Reaction Score
I think the lack of any seniors is showing itself. There is no one on the team that has been through 3 full seasons of the "system".

I also get the feeling from watching the games, that no one on the team wants to be "great" and I blame today's society for that. "Great" people get attacked every day for any little thing and today's young people don't want to deal with it. It's sad.

One think I do know for a fact...If you don't aspire to be great (at anything), you won't be.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think the lack of any seniors is showing itself. There is no one on the team that has been through 3 full seasons of the "system".

I also get the feeling from watching the games, that no one on the team wants to be "great" and I blame today's society for that. "Great" people get attacked every day for any little thing and today's young people don't want to deal with it. It's sad.

One think I do know for a fact...If you don't aspire to be great (at anything), you won't be.
While I agree that some UConn players may be reluctant to step up in the clutch, your suggestion that society is to blame is an extraordinary stretch. I’m afraid that dog just won’t hunt.

Reaction Score
There are two common themes that have been brought up in Geno's post game press conferences. Why the slow starts to games? How do you compare Paige's freshman year to other Uconn stars?
His answers, as usual, are direct and insightful.
To question number one. Someone other than Paige needs to make a shot. "If we shoot 10 for 11 in the first qtr are slow starts would be over".
To question number two, he compares Paige's freshman year to DT's junior year where D had no other AA on the team, and the offense, plus and minus was dependent on her.
His answer was basically saying that his current upperclassmen , who have the talent to be AA ,are not playing any where near that level. Its great that CW had a good game against Georgetown, however in two games she has not scored at all. Hardly AA level play.
Liv has been just as inconsistent. One great game followed by a dud.
Evina has also shown signs of brilliance, but in her last 4 games she is 9-27 shooting ( including a 6-12), 1-13 from 3's, and just under 4 TO's per game.
Geno realizes a team dependent on just one player is very vulnerable to lose during the tournament when it counts.

As usual, Coach Geno never sugarcoats anything. He's right on the mark: this is not one of UConn's great teams. We have some good players and one spectacular shooting guard. ONO is more often than not ineffective; she is effective mostly when the defense is keying on Paige in the lane, opening ONO to roll to the basket. Evina has struggled this season. Crystal is up and down- way up and way down. Edwards has been very good, but suffers from being double- and triple-teamed if ONO isn't there. And for some odd reason, Coach Geno won't give her more minutes. The team struggles against mediocre teams far too often. What's boosting UConn in the rankings is the fact that no other team has emerged as an unbeatable powerhouse. Each team near the top has fallen at some point, UConn to Arkansas.

Paige is "the real deal." The danger with Paige is that she decides to turn pro in Europe after this season or next, opting to collect what could be hundreds of thousands of dollars overseas a la American soccer players, and not go through the motions of amateur college ball and the risk of injury. She could maker herself a millionaire before her eligibility to play in the under-paid WNBA comes up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As usual, Coach Geno never sugarcoats anything. He's right on the mark: this is not one of UConn's great teams. We have some good players and one spectacular shooting guard. ONO is more often than not ineffective; she is effective mostly when the defense is keying on Paige in the lane, opening ONO to roll to the basket. Evina has struggled this season. Crystal is up and down- way up and way down. Edwards has been very good, but suffers from being double- and triple-teamed if ONO isn't there. And for some odd reason, Coach Geno won't give her more minutes. The team struggles against mediocre teams far too often. What's boosting UConn in the rankings is the fact that no other team has emerged as an unbeatable powerhouse. Each team near the top has fallen at some point, UConn to Arkansas.

Paige is "the real deal." The danger with Paige is that she decides to turn pro in Europe after this season or next, opting to collect what could be hundreds of thousands of dollars overseas a la American soccer players, and not go through the motions of amateur college ball and the risk of injury. She could maker herself a millionaire before her eligibility to play in the under-paid WNBA comes up.
Wow! Paige turning pro early and going to Europe. Talk about turning to the Dark Side.

There is absolutely zero indication that will happen. What you are suggesting is that Paige would abandon her BFF, a college degree and, most importantly, the people she cares about the most: her teammates.

Reaction Score

And then this from @Fairfield Fan:
"Paige is "the real deal." The danger with Paige is that she decides to turn pro in Europe after this season or next, opting to collect what could be hundreds of thousands of dollars overseas a la American soccer players, and not go through the motions of amateur college ball and the risk of injury. She could maker herself a millionaire before her eligibility to play in the under-paid WNBA comes up."

Wow, just when I thought I'd seen pretty much all the inane and pessimistic comments the Boneyard had to offer, this short (as of now) thread comes up with two humdingers. What do some of you people eat for breakfast? Magic mushrooms? My suggestion: add more fiber. :)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
While I agree that some UConn players may be reluctant to step up in the clutch, your suggestion that society is to blame is an extraordinary stretch. I’m afraid that dog just won’t hunt.
So does the proverbial dog not know how to hunt? Or does it want to hunt but not that much? Or does it not want to be a "great" hunter? Or has the Society for the Prevention of Dogs Hunting interfered in this pursuit? Who or what is to blame for this deficiency? Surely not the dog! Anything and everybody but the dog itself! Never blame the dog. That would be mean spirited. ;)

Reaction Score
Wow! Paige turning pro early and going to Europe. Talk about turning to the Dark Side.

There is absolutely zero indication that will happen. What you are suggesting is that Paige would abandon her BFF, a college degree and, most importantly, the people she cares about the most: her teammates.

There is nothing wrong about getting the most money from one's career. Paige is arguably the most developed top player Connecticut has had- ever. If her goal is to turn pro, will another three years at UConn help her to be a better pro? Will she earn more money over the course of her career if she earns nothing until the summer of 2024? Should she risk serious injury that would impair her earnings by continuing to play college ball?

Makes sense to ask. Not outrageous. Not immoral. The kid clearly has the potential to be a superstar in the pros right now.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
.. except that it's a work in progress and a big part of the metric will be 'who is better?' at years end. They don't have to play the 2000 team or the 2015 team and, frankly, the constant use of past UConn teams as a measuring stick probably messes with their heads as much as anything. Who else goes through a week where they beat a #1 and get two 20+ point wins and all they hear is "what's wrong with our girls"?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Paige is "the real deal." The danger with Paige is that she decides to turn pro in Europe after this season or next, opting to collect what could be hundreds of thousands of dollars overseas a la American soccer players, and not go through the motions of amateur college ball and the risk of injury. She could maker herself a millionaire before her eligibility to play in the under-paid WNBA comes up
GIF by ABC Network

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
.. except that it's a work in progress and a big part of the metric will be 'who is better?' at years end. They don't have to play the 2000 team or the 2015 team and, frankly, the constant use of past UConn teams as a measuring stick probably messes with their heads as much as anything. Who else goes through a week where they beat a #1 and get two 20+ point wins and all they hear is "what's wrong with our girls"?
agree, but thank god they don't follow the BY

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong about getting the most money from one's career. Paige is arguably the most developed top player Connecticut has had- ever. If her goal is to turn pro, will another three years at UConn help her to be a better pro? Will she earn more money over the course of her career if she earns nothing until the summer of 2024? Should she risk serious injury that would impair her earnings by continuing to play college ball?

Makes sense to ask. Not outrageous. Not immoral. The kid clearly has the potential to be a superstar in the pros right now.
ok for you, but you presume that $ is paige's god. maybe. but it ain't for all and some find it inappropriate that you assume it is for a 19-year-old who seems to have the game as a higher priority

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

I agree. For whatever reason, this team and its players are constantly compared to past greats and teams. I do not understand why fans cannot accept these players for who they are.

I spent well over 30 years in a classroom or I should say the band room. One of the first things I learned was do not compare a student to one who has gone before. You accept them for who they are - warts and all.

Paige is Paige. Olivia is Olivia. Nika is Nika. And so on down the line. Leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Society as this really old fan sees it, is definitely the reason that some again I say some young people who are spoiled and do not have social skills or courtesy. Is it the kids fault, of course not, it’s how they are being raised. My coach hollered at me , so I’m transferring boo hoo. Our young need to be praised when they deserve it and to be
taught that not everything they do is great, when it’s not. Cause that is the life ahead of them.

Reaction Score
Amen

Reaction Score
Society as this really old fan sees it, is definitely the reason that some again I say some young people who are spoiled and do not have social skills or courtesy. Is it the kids fault, of course not, it’s how they are being raised. My coach hollered at me , so I’m transferring boo hoo. Our young need to be praised when they deserve it and to be
taught that not everything they do is great, when it’s not. Cause that is the life ahead of them.
Coming, presumably, from a Boomer, a member of the most entitled generation of the 20th century (according to virtually every sociological research project). Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Coming, presumably, from a Boomer, a member of the most entitled generation of the 20th century (according to virtually every sociological research project). Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.
Get off my lawn kid ;). JK, can't claim to have read virtually every sociological research project but I'd be willing to bet most were done by non-boomers.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Other than the 3 SEC games, we’ve won by 20+ in every other game we’ve played this year. In this same stretch where we’ve played SC, Ark and Tenn, we’ve also played 1 v 2 games in the Big East 3 times. We beat DePaul and Marquette moved up to second, then we beat them and Seton Hall moved into a tie for second. That might not seem like much to us - but its clearly the game of the year to the other team all three times, so they are going to give us their best shot. Winning by 20 while getting pushed a little is a solid step forward.

Georgetown isn’t one to put in the archives, but they are a team that milks the shot clock and keeps the score low, so the combination of the long stretch of games and the fact that the pace was slow led to sort of an inartistic win. But there’s nothing in that game that should send up a warning flag. Just one of those games you grind out a routine win and head home.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

OK, here are 3 other reasons why I don’t see it happening:

1. Paige came to Storrs for a number of reasons. Chief among them was to play for the best coach in WBB, someone who she knew would make her better. Just listen to her comments after the game and it’s clear she has enormous respect and admiration for Geno and the demands he is making of her. Paige is not going to shortchange the process by leaving early.

2. Paige has yet to experience college basketball or college in general. Certainly, she’s played in games. But she has lived in a bubble with her teammates, played in games without fans and taken class remotely. Hopefully next season, Paige will have the opportunity to sit in a classroom, interact with the student body at large and play before SRO crowds at home and on the road that are largely in attendance to see Paige Bueckers. Call me crazy, but I think the college experience is very important to Paige.

3. Lastly, let’s talk about money. Paige can’t play in the W until she turns 22, which would be after her junior season. Playing overseas would get her some money sooner rather than later. But I would make the argument that it could potentially cost Paige millions in the long run. Paige has the potential to earn more money than any female athlete in any sport. If she leaves early, potentially without a National Championship or NPOY, she misses the opportunity for untold millions in endorsements.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ok for you, but you presume that $ is paige's god. maybe. but it ain't for all and some find it inappropriate that you assume it is for a 19-year-old who seems to have the game as a higher priority
Why not? The men do.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score

In my book, this is just weird conjecture out of nowhere, bending a knee to the gods of money as the primary goal of living. Right now, Paige is a gifted young woman glorying in the game and what she brings to it and her team. Eventually, she may get the "big bucks," but for goodness sake, at least for now, make it for the joy, not the cash!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom