Geno's Frustrations | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno's Frustrations

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Lol
1) has any player gone pro before finishing her junior year? I recall VAs Schuye Larue going to Europe. And a Rutgers player — maybe E Prince? Point is it almost never happens. And the most obvious person who could’ve gone after her frosh year — Stewie — stayed for 4.
2) Paige made a big deal of wanting to play with Azzi. Now she is gonna be here and PB Is gonna leave after 0 or 1 years together?
3) Paige still has a lot to learn from Geno.
4) do you want to make money now or do yo want to be a historic great with a Bird/Taurasi type career? I suspect Paige is playing the long game.
5) with the exception of Diana, most UConn players are pretty academically inclined. Lack of interest in school is one reason players leave early.
6) kids from poorer families might feel more pressure to earn $ sooner. Seems like the Bueckers are pretty middle class and there wouldn’t be that kind of concern

she’ll be eligible for the W after her junior year and leaving then is plausible, but before then? I put it at <5%.
Probably <1%
Epiphanny Prince turned pro after her junior year at Rutgers after the WNBA denied her hardship petition for early entry. She went to Russia to play and earn money for her family that needed it. She eventually got Russian Citizen and even with that the WNBA would not let her in until she was age eligible in the 2010 draft.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
While I agree that some UConn players may be reluctant to step up in the clutch, your suggestion that society is to blame is an extraordinary stretch. I’m afraid that dog just won’t hunt.
I personally think since the sun is in Aquarius it's squared against the sun of most of the players. Also as a fixed sign it goes against most of the players who are mutable signs. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
Why? Clearly, our “society” is to blame (at least partially) for many ills. Not being argumentative, just curious how you can so easily dismiss Vaconn11’s opinion?

How? Perhaps because the initial opinion is completely unsupported, and there are countless examples that are directly contrary to the initial opinion. Furthermore, even assuming that the initial opinion is correct (which there is little to suggest that it is), it is an enormous leap that to conclude that this societal ill is the reason for UConn players "failure" to want to be great (another unsupported statement). So, while I wasn't the one to "dismiss" the initial opinion, there seems to me it offers little to the discuss of UConn's performance.

Reaction Score
ok for you, but you presume that $ is paige's god. maybe. but it ain't for all and some find it inappropriate that you assume it is for a 19-year-old who seems to have the game as a higher priority
Whoa! While I certainly don’t subscribe to the notion that Paige is turning pro, I can’t see why a speculative comment on that possibility is “inappropriate”! I read nothing in that post that shows presumption or assumption. Again, I think the chance that Paige would leave after one season to be infinitesimally small but it’s certainly not inconceivable! She obviously could do it if she wanted to. She is certainly skilled enough.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
It's interesting:

During Dee's frosh year Geno has proclaimed that the team had the most talent of any he has coached.
We lost 2 AA calibre players to season ending injuries prior to the NCAA tourney...Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosimova.
They still went to the final four and had eventual champ ND down by double digits at the half. A poor second half...tossed in with Dee's poor shooting the entire game...and we lose.

Her soph year team with future Olympic players all over the place was maybe the best team ever....39-0.
Yikes! Bird/Taurasi/Cash/Jones all with future gold medals plus the fifth starter maybe the most efficient shooter in UConn's history...Tamika Williams...career field goal percentage in the high 60's.

Junior and senior years of Dee...surrounded by good college players but no real star...she takes them to 2 more rings...especially nice with the finals against LadyVol Herself.

Paige...right now... may have the least talented team...MAY...in her 4 years here. Next year's team will be much deeper given who is back and who is coming. More talent doesn't necessarily mean better but we can sure hope.
But we do have a shot this year...especially if we are healthy....go Huskies!

Junior year: we will probably be losing some nice players but Geno is off to a great start for the 2022 class with Ice Brady.

Senior year: too early to know much except that Geno and staff undoubtably have more targets in Brady's class and in the class of 2023.

Dee's surrounding talent went down over her span....will Paige's go up...and up...and up?

Senior year; who knows...too early...but I assume the staff is busy targeting elites.

Reaction Score
Coming, presumably, from a Boomer, a member of the most entitled generation of the 20th century (according to virtually every sociological research project). Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.
That’s pretty rich. Presumably! If a spoiled rotten kid calls another spoiled rotten kid spoiled rotten, does that mean the second kid isn’t spoiled rotten? Why does the poster’s generation have anything to do with whether or not he/she should have an opinion?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I missed the beginning of this. Is Geno frustrated because Paige is spoiled?

I think he is being too hard on her.

Reaction Score
I doubt Paige is thinking about it. But for the sake of argument, let’s say she is. Let’s also assume you’re right that she could go to Russia and earn $1.2 million over 3 years. Paige would literally be banning herself to Siberia.

Paige is the most marketable female athlete to come along, according to media analysts. If she stays and completes at least 3 years and hopefully 4 at UConn that results in multiple championships, NPOY’s, full arenas and super-charged tv ratings, while bringing millions of new fans to WBB, she could be looking at 10’s of millions of dollars in endorsements. That sounds a lot better to me than earning $400k a year in Siberia.
Not sure who would trade America for Siberia, maybe our family dog Ozzy, but Covid College isn’t fun either. If this Shot contunues.... Don’t forget her internet social media will be worth mega bill$.

Reaction Score
ok for you, but you presume that $ is paige's god. maybe. but it ain't for all and some find it inappropriate that you assume it is for a 19-year-old who seems to have the game as a higher priority
She can still have the game by turning pro! I don’t think it’s a likely scenario though. Abandoning colleges games is not the same as abandoning the game. In fact she can play more with equals by turning pro.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wow! Paige turning pro early and going to Europe. Talk about turning to the Dark Side.

There is absolutely zero indication that will happen. What you are suggesting is that Paige would abandon her BFF, a college degree and, most importantly, the people she cares about the most: her teammates.
Buckets is (IMO) not the type of person to leave early for the pros. She made a commitment to Geno and her teammates. I expect her to honor that commitment. The riches and notoriety that comes from the W, will still be there after her senior year.

Reaction Score
Someone will challenge the WNBA's "22" rule in court and they will win. Paige could be that person. I don't think that's her mindset, but I think it's possible she doesn't stick around for her junior year anyway. One thing she could do is just go to Europe/Russia (not Siberia) before she's WNBA-eligible, make a million bucks a year, and forget about the summer rec league (WNBA).

But I think 1) she will be loyal to Azzi, who she heavily recruited to UConn, and play with her for a year or two, and 2) she may actually need a WNBA presence to maintain/grow her lucrative USA social media stature, where her earnings could exceed her Russian basketball earnings (definitely would exceed her WNBA earnings but - ironically - might depend on her WNBA presence).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coming, presumably, from a Boomer, a member of the most entitled generation of the 20th century (according to virtually every sociological research project). Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.
Boomers are definitely NOT the most entitled [read spoiled] generation; Boomers' children are much worse; and Boomers' grandchildren take the cake!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Boomers are definitely NOT the most entitled [read spoiled] generation; Boomers' children are much worse; and Boomers' grandchildren take the cake!
but.... virtually every sociological research project...

Reaction Score
Well, try googling “entitled boomer generation” sometime. There is a hodge podge of scholarly vs. crap that comes up, but the consensus is quite startling. I’m a boomer, by the way; not afraid to admit the damage.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Someone will challenge the WNBA's "22" rule in court and they will win. Paige could be that person. I don't think that's her mindset, but I think it's possible she doesn't stick around for her junior year anyway. One thing she could do is just go to Europe/Russia (not Siberia) before she's WNBA-eligible, make a million bucks a year, and forget about the summer rec league (WNBA).

But I think 1) she will be loyal to Azzi, who she heavily recruited to UConn, and play with her for a year or two, and 2) she may actually need a WNBA presence to maintain/grow her lucrative USA social media stature, where her earnings could exceed her Russian basketball earnings (definitely would exceed her WNBA earnings but - ironically - might depend on her WNBA presence).
I've actually given up on someone challenging this rule successfully. What is more egregious is the disadvantage (Penalty) to American born players. It is literally a two year penalty because a foreign born player can enter the WNBA 2 Full years seasons sooner than an American player with the same DoB.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
As usual, Coach Geno never sugarcoats anything. He's right on the mark: this is not one of UConn's great teams. We have some good players and one spectacular shooting guard. ONO is more often than not ineffective; she is effective mostly when the defense is keying on Paige in the lane, opening ONO to roll to the basket. Evina has struggled this season. Crystal is up and down- way up and way down. Edwards has been very good, but suffers from being double- and triple-teamed if ONO isn't there. And for some odd reason, Coach Geno won't give her more minutes. The team struggles against mediocre teams far too often. What's boosting UConn in the rankings is the fact that no other team has emerged as an unbeatable powerhouse. Each team near the top has fallen at some point, UConn to Arkansas.

Paige is "the real deal." The danger with Paige is that she decides to turn pro in Europe after this season or next, opting to collect what could be hundreds of thousands of dollars overseas a la American soccer players, and not go through the motions of amateur college ball and the risk of injury. She could maker herself a millionaire before her eligibility to play in the under-paid WNBA comes up.
Or the NIL legislation could pass and she would make millions on twitter/tiktok.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I've actually given up on someone challenging this rule successfully. What is more egregious is the disadvantage (Penalty) to American born players. It is literally a two year penalty because a foreign born player can enter the WNBA 2 Full years seasons sooner than an American player with the same DoB.

IMO, it won't happen until a major women's prospect from the US foregoes college completely to make money in Europe -- then the wheels will start to turn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO, it won't happen until a major women's prospect from the US foregoes college completely to make money in Europe -- then the wheels will start to turn.
Just don't think there is enough money involved in women's basketball to move an entire league. It's been more than a decade now (2008) since Brandon Jennings did exactly that-went overseas rather than go to college and be one and done. La Melo Ball also went overseas for two seasons. The NBA was not moved and if anything the draft stock of both players went down by going overseas.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Just don't think there is enough money involved in women's basketball to move an entire league. It's been more than a decade now (2008) since Brandon Jennings did exactly that-went overseas rather than go to college and be one and done. La Melo Ball also went overseas for two seasons. The NBA was not moved and if anything the draft stock of both players went down by going overseas.

Maybe not. And maybe there just aren't enough roster spots to make it an issue to begin with.

But, also, if I'm remembering correctly, Jewell Loyd is the only player to win ROY without completing her collegiate eligibility. (Not saying that you have to be ROY to have a successful rookie season, just think it's an interesting point.)

And Lauren Jackson is the only international player who I can think of who was both drafted really young and made a big, immediate impact -- this season I kept forgetting that Allemand was 24.

Until the young guns start coming in and really putting on a show, I don't think anyone will be moved to make the change.

Reaction Score
The Courant has article this morning looking again at Geno’s take on this season. Could someone load it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom