Geno & staff torture themselves | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno & staff torture themselves

Reaction Score
Yes I've watched the replay! I had the same feeling that the expression "On any given day....." really applies!
Surprisingly I wasn't upset at the original, disappointed yes but not P...ssed o..f!
And I got the same disappointment the 2nd time!
It took a terrible performance by UCONN to give MissSt. a shot to win.
IMHO MissSt. didn't WIN the game, UCONN lost it, big difference! We had more than a dozen chances to win the game but couldn't come through!
All the glory to the players and coaches of MissSt. for coming back from a 60 point loss the previous year to play that well!
Geno has always said to reach the top you first have to suffer. 2001 loss to ND led to 2002 one of the greatest teams ever in WBB! So, as mind blowing as this loss is, every game this season is going to be "petal to the metal" and "take no prisoners" style!
All our opponents this season will pay for that loss! "payback is truly a bi-ch"!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IMHO MissSt. didn't WIN the game, UCONN lost it, big difference! We had more than a dozen chances to win the game but couldn't come through!
Going to disagree. Miss St. came up with big plays when they needed to including on the final possession. I give them full credit for being ready play and believing in themselves.

I do think that we were tired and inexperienced in that players had to step up rather than wait for a teammate to do it. I think that we'll be a much more focused team this year.

[We're still doomed.]

Reaction Score
My take is that the fearless play and savvy, well executed defensive tactics of MS put the conditions in place for them to win. But we contributed heavily via the uncharacteristic underperformance of some of our core players, especially with respect to controlling game pace, making free throws and finishing offensively. So for that game, I think "they won it" vs."we lost it" applies about equally.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Vic took Geno up on his offer for coaches to visit and watch practices. He is a really good defensive coach( once refered as The Secretary of Defense ). He came to see Uconn practice but I bet he used it as a live film session just in case they played again!

An NFL player once had the distinction of being referred to as the "Minister of Defense". Anyone know who that player was? :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Going to disagree. Miss St. came up with big plays when they needed to including on the final possession. I give them full credit for being ready play and believing in themselves.

I do think that we were tired and inexperienced in that players had to step up rather than wait for a teammate to do it. I think that we'll be a much more focused team this year.

[We're still doomed.]

We're looking at two sides of a coin here, or glass half empty/half full. It's perception. The bottom line is this game was viewed differently by each team and their fan base. Having beaten them by 65 points the year before, UConn did NOT take MS St. seriously. They did not view them as much of a threat as they did Baylor, South Carolina, or Notre Dame that year. Those 3 games were circled on UConn's calendar, and they were ready to play those games!!! So in my opinion, this was a trap game for UConn.

I can guarantee you that Mississippi State DID NOT look past UConn. This was the biggest game they played to date that season. NO TEAM opened up a can on them that year like UConn did to end their season in 2015. When your season ending loss is by 65 points, you go back to the drawing board to figure out what went wrong, then make corrections and adjustments. Look at how UConn has reacted to their 2 point over-time loss to end their season 7 months ago.

They've moved on, but none of them have forgotten the bitter/sour taste that lingered in their mouths and the despair they felt for months afterwards. Everyday in practice, that game comes to mind at least once, and serves as motivation to get better individually, and collectively. Time heals all wounds, but memories last forever!!! :mad:

I'll bet the team would rather open the season with Mississippi State (on the road if they had to) with a fresh 40 minutes, and the score reset to zero, rather than Stanford. Call it unfinished business or redemption, which ever you prefer. Similar to what Notre Dame does every time they play the Huskies. They're still bent on exorcising those demons from years past. :) From my vantage point, Schaefer had his team more ready to play that evening than Geno did. Not that Geno didn't try.

If you remember early in the season, Geno said "they need to get their asses kicked, and soon". He knew what the impending result would be, and he wanted them to experience a loss, realize that they are not invincible, and go through the rest of the season with the determination and resolve a loss would bring. The loss came, but it came too late.

MS came out hard and fast, hit the Huskies in the mouth, and did not step back. UConn was slow to counter, and played from behind the entire game. Something they were not use to. The Huskies picked a bad time to have an "off day". They could not get stops when they needed to, nor could they put sustained runs together. One more free throw in regulation, and UConn wins...........in regulation. They did not play well enough to win. In short, UConn lost their mojo for one night.

I have not watched a replay of that game, and I won't. No need to, nothing to be gained. UConn got upset by a "dark horse" that no one anticipated would get that far after the brackets were announced in early March. Mississippi State was not a #1 seed that was expected to reach the final four. That distinction went to UConn, Baylor, Notre Dame and South Carolina. MS ST was a #2 seed assigned to the Oklahoma City Region. Like last year, only one of the #1 seeds made it to the championship game.

I'm like "eebmg", I don't like "horror" movies. :confused:, so I don't watch them. IMO, this game falls in that category, from beginning to end. That season is over................R.I.P. The new season begins in 11 days. I'm looking forward, not back. :) Go Huskies, fulfill your destiny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
By the way for those who are interested, UConn vs Fort Hays State and UConn vs Ashland will both be available to watch on College Sports Live. It makes a one month subscription worthwhile. Also for those interested a number of Penn State games will be available for viewing over the course of the season.

Jordy, glad to hear that we'll be able to watch the 2 exhibition games on Nov. 1 & 5. I do see the first game listed twice, once requiring Sign In, once Free to watch. Dare I ask: does "free" mean no need for a subscription? The Nov. 5 content isn't available on-line at the moment, but I assume you've seen its availability somewhere. Also "free"? :confused:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Reggie white eagles and green bay

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!! You know your football Zanzman. :)

220px-Reggie_white_packers.jpg

The two-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year, 13-time Pro Bowl, and 13-time All-Pro selection holds second place all-time among career sack leaders with 198 (behind Bruce Smith's 200 career sacks) and was selected to the NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team, NFL 1990s All-Decade Team, and the NFL 1980s All-Decade Team. During his professional career, he was also known for his Christian ministry as an ordained Evangelical minister, leading to his nickname, "the Minister of Defense".[1] White is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I've yet to muster the courage to watch the replay. Haven't seen the HBO finale either.

Gus, fuggitabodit. Don't concern yourself. You're not missing anything. No matter how many times you can find the strength or courage to watch it, the outcome is always the same. :(

Reaction Score
An NFL player once had the distinction of being referred to as the "Minister of Defense". Anyone know who that player was? :rolleyes:
Deacon Jones? I didn't google so... Dang it Reggie White was my next guess.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Deacon Jones? I didn't google so... Dang it Reggie White was my next guess.
Deacon would have been a good guess, though I knew it was Reggie from my Philly days.

Deacon patented the head-slap, which has seen been outlawed. Lord knows how it contributed to CTE.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Deacon would have been a good guess, though I knew it was Reggie from my Philly days.

Deacon patented the head-slap, which has seen been outlawed. Lord knows how it contributed to CTE.

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember Deacon Jones being called the "secretary" of defense a time or two.

Deacon Jones had a rough early life. I googled him recently. I learned some things I did not know. It made for interesting reading.

Reaction Score
We're looking at two sides of a coin here, or glass half empty/half full. It's perception. The bottom line is this game was viewed differently by each team and their fan base. Having beaten them by 65 points the year before, UConn did NOT take MS St. seriously. They did not view them as much of a threat as they did Baylor, South Carolina, or Notre Dame that year. Those 3 games were circled on UConn's calendar, and they were ready to play those games!!! So in my opinion, this was a trap game for UConn.

I can guarantee you that Mississippi State DID NOT look past UConn. This was the biggest game they played to date that season. NO TEAM had opened up a can on them that year like UConn did to end their season in 2015. When your season ending loss is by 65 points, you go back to the drawing board to figure out what went wrong, then make corrections and adjustments. Look at how UConn has reacted to their 2 point over-time loss to end their season 7 months ago.

MS came out hard and fast, hit the Huskies in the mouth, and did not step back. UConn was slow to counter, and played from behind the entire game.

It is good to see fans and posters on this board continue to show respect for the performance MSU gave that evening. It was truly a game for the ages for the Lady Bulldogs and I don't pretend if the tournament were a best of 7 that we could have won a series against the more talented Huskies. MSU wanted UConn after that awful performance the previous season where a decent team looked absolutely lost as the Huskies put on a clinic. UConn is definitely on a mission this season and I expect a title out of the group provided the players stay healthy and mesh together.

MSU will take a small step back this year. The core group of McGowan, Vivians and William are all back, but they also lost 4 seniors who offered leadership and depth. The new recruits look good on paper but no one knows until they hit the floor. MSU is now the hunted, not a hunter. Vic is a heck of a coach and should have this team ready to compete, but I'm not sure another Final Four is in the works until I see how the new players support the top level talent.

Reaction Score
It is good to see fans and posters on this board continue to show respect for the performance MSU gave that evening. It was truly a game for the ages for the Lady Bulldogs and I don't pretend if the tournament were a best of 7 that we could have won a series against the more talented Huskies. MSU wanted UConn after that awful performance the previous season where a decent team looked absolutely lost as the Huskies put on a clinic. UConn is definitely on a mission this season and I expect a title out of the group provided the players stay healthy and mesh together.

MSU will take a small step back this year. The core group of McGowan, Vivians and William are all back, but they also lost 4 seniors who offered leadership and depth. The new recruits look good on paper but no one knows until they hit the floor. MSU is now the hunted, not a hunter. Vic is a heck of a coach and should have this team ready to compete, but I'm not sure another Final Four is in the works until I see how the new players support the top level talent.
That was a crazy game, and if it were a best of seven I think UConn would win the series, but it's not, so that's that. The Huskies lost fair and square to a great team and well respected coach. On to a new season, and may the next winning streak stretch to 211 and Geno's 68th birthday!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Reggie White!
I'll go off topic once more. Another NFL player had the moniker: "Nasty". Any guesses who he was? This is not as easy. I'll be surprised if anyone can name this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll go off topic once more. Another NFL player had the moniker: nasty. Any guesses who he was? This is not as easy. I'll be surprised if anyone can name this guy.
Did Ilie Nastase ever play football? ;)

Reaction Score
I'll go off topic once more. Another NFL player had the moniker: nasty. Any guesses who he was? This is not as easy. I'll be surprised if anyone can name this guy.
Spoiler alert (way too easy google/wiki).....
Wille Roaf

Reaction Score

I can guarantee you that Mississippi State DID NOT look past UConn. This was the biggest game they played to date that season. NO TEAM had opened up a can on them that year like UConn did to end their season in 2015. When your season ending loss is by 65 points, you go back to the drawing board to figure out what went wrong, then make corrections and adjustments. Look at how UConn has reacted to their 2 point over-time loss to end their season 7 months ago.

They've moved on, but none of them have forgotten the bitter/sour taste that lingered in their mouths for months afterwards. Everyday in practice, that game is recessed in their memory banks, and is no doubt used as motivation to get better individually, and collectively. Time heals all wounds, but memories last forever!!! :mad:

I'm sure if the team could, they would rather play Mississippi State (on the road if they had to) to start the season rather than Stanford. Call it unfinished business or redemption, which ever you prefer. Similar to what Notre Dame does every time they play the Huskies. They're still trying to exorcise those demons from years past. :) From my vantage point, Schaefer had his team more ready to play that evening than Geno did. Not that Geno didn't try.

If you remember early in the season, he said "they need to get their asses kicked, and soon". He knew what the impending result would be, and he wanted them to experience a loss, realize that they are not invincible, and go through the rest of the season with the determination and resolve a loss would bring. The loss came, but it came too late.

MS came out hard and fast, hit the Huskies in the mouth, and did not step back. UConn was slow to counter, and played from behind the entire game. Something they were not use to. They could not get stops when they needed to, nor could they put sustained runs together. One more free throw in regulation, and UConn wins......in regulation. They did not play well enough to win. In short, UConn lost their mojo for one night.

I have not watched a replay of that game either, and I won't. UConn got upset by a "dark horse" that no one anticipated would get that far after the brackets were announced in early March. Mississippi State was not a #1 seed that was expected to reach the final four. That distinction went to UConn, Baylor, Notre Dame and South Carolina. MS ST was a #2 seed assigned to the Oklahoma City Region. Like last year, only one of the #1 seeds made it to the championship game.

I'm like "eebmg", I don't like "horror" movies. :confused:, so I don't watch them. To me, this game falls in that genre. That season is over......R.I.P. The new season begins in 9 days. I'm looking forward, not back. :) Go Huskies, fulfill your destiny.
Nice to see someone who thinks about it the same way as I do, exactly. What he said, All of it,

Reaction Score
When all is said and done, the team did exceed expectations for the season by an order of magnitude. I haven't tried to rewatch the game, but one thing I fondly recall in a bittersweet way is that when the chips were down and the "go to" players were looking a bit lost Saniya stepped up like a Senior and made a play, very sweet. Bitter that it didn't play out, but admirable for trying.
I've been avoiding this, but after the above statement I just can't. I haven't watched the replay and probably never will. I did watch the final HBO show after a week or so because I needed to cancel HBO. And in fact, this is only the second time I've been able to get it together and visit The Boneyard since.
But although I cannot say we would not have lost I have always had the opinion that there was 1 and only 1 reason we lost as we did. And that was Sanyia. I always liked her and I was rooting for her. But the wrong point guard was on the floor.
A point that I haven't seen made at all is, the score was tied at the time with a few seconds to go, and UCONN could have just held the ball and gone on to the next overtime. Certainly, the final move should not have been made until the last few seconds, preferably for a buzzer-beater. She made her move way, way too early, and as I remember (after trying so hard to forget) missed her shot or didn't get it off. That gave Miss St. plenty of time to go back down the floor and do the same thing they did so consistently the whole tournament to that point.
We all know Danger was inconsistent last year, but IMO she was a much better point guard and at the very least, showed several times during the season that she was a big time player when the chips were down. And I do believe she hand the savvy and the ability, the cool head and the guts, to do what was needed that one time.

Carnac

Reaction Score
My first thought after the final buzzer - Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

I had to read this a couple of times, then then the light came on. So true. Good one. :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'll go off topic once more. Another NFL player had the moniker: "Nasty". Any guesses who he was? This is not as easy. I'll be surprised if anyone can name this guy.

The player was Cedric Hardman aka Nasty.
Hardman is the current all-time sack leader for the San Francisco 49ers franchise, recording 112.5 sacks between 1970 and 1979 and he had 14½ with the Raiders in 1980 and 81 (9½ in 1980).
Hardman was a two-time Pro Bowler in 1971 and 1975, and he was a member of the Oakland Raiders Super Bowl XV winning team.

upload_2017-10-22_20-12-51.jpeg

Reaction Score
How many games since Uconn has lost in regulation? Must be a couple hundred or so.That would obviously be a record.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom