Geno & staff torture themselves | The Boneyard

Geno & staff torture themselves

Reaction Score
They played us the year before in B'port and we routed them . Their coach learned from that and was ready for us.It was the perfect storm, they caught us not at our best. Side note: Vic Schaefer is no slouch as a coach.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It was tough to watch in person, but I gotta say - it was an incredible ending for that team and they absolutely deserved the win. I only wish they had beaten USC in the final. I love Vic and if UConn had to lose, I'm glad it was to a classy guy like him.

Reaction Score
As memory recalls we did have 4/5 offensive positions in Q4 which ended up with a turnover or terrible shot.

KLS was huge hitting those 2 free throws at the end, and I bet (HOPE) Geno's play call had her as the number one target to get the ball at the end. If KLS did get the ball we would have been playing USC for the finals. She was locked in.

Reaction Score
Tale of the Mississippi State tape 'painful' for Huskies
Tale of the Mississippi State tape 'painful' for Huskies

"It was the first time I had seen it," Auriemma said. "I had a hard time watching and I kept walking out on it. I just kept walking out thinking, 'I can't believe I have to watch this crap.' Then I would go back in. "
For a guy who (sort of) smiled at the end and had an important life lesson for his team (all the other teams have cried in the locker room; now you know how they feel), he sure doesn't like to lose after all. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Watched this summer. I couldn’t believe how many chances we had to take the game back but missed our chances. They weren’t perfect or invincible but they believed they could win and we were afraid we would lose.

Reaction Score
Uconn missed a bunch of easy shots and the Miss-a-chippie State mantra became Uconn miss a chippie as well.Uconn didn't play against a whole lot of big centers with very much talent during the season and they may have been intimidated.A 6-7 well defined and moderately talented center can cause hurried shots even when not actually blocking them.I would give one of anything i have too many of to see them play this year on a neutral court,(Madison Square Garden).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
By the way for those who are interested, UConn vs Fort Hays State and UConn vs Ashland will both be available to watch on College Sports Live. It makes a one month subscription worthwhile. Also for those interested a number of Penn State games will be available for viewing over the course of the season.

Reaction Score
They played terribly but it was a really fun game to watch in person for me. I was seriously screaming at my TV during the entire game. I will never rewatch it, but it had been awhile since I felt that way watching one of their games.

Reaction Score
Vic took Geno up on his offer for coaches to visit and watch practices. He is a really good defensive coach( once refered as The Secretary of Defense ). He came to see Uconn practice but I bet he used it as a live film session just in case they played again!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Those games happen so infrequently in our program. They played well, but Collier in particular missed several shots that were almost automatic during the year. Still took OT and an improbable shot to beat the kids. Our outs are almost always in nail biters.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Painful memory. No need to relive it. I'll settle for a Final Four rematch.
Probably true. As Pacific 44 notes, we missed so many easy shots—shots we made all year. Pheesa, who was amazing all year, had her worst game. It would be frustrating watching all the missed opportunities. A layup and a FT here or there could easily have gotten us another 10 points.

It does take a perfect storm to beat us. I believe the last 3 losses—going back to the 2013 BE title game against ND—have been in OT.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
They played us the year before in B'port and we routed them . Their coach learned from that and was ready for us.It was the perfect storm, they caught us not at our best. Side note: Vic Schaefer is no slouch as a coach.

Schaefer is a very good coach, and yes, he did learn from that 60 pt. loss. I know Geno takes EVERY game seriously, does not look ahead, and stresses that to his players. However.........I would submit that it's hard to take a team seriously that you beat by 60 points only a year ago.

They could not possibly be 60 points better THIS year than they were last year.........could they? That was a "trap game". Is it possible that 1-2 (or more) players were optimistically looking ahead to South Carolina? :rolleyes:
I'm not saying any of them were, it's a question. Because they did not look like the same team in the MS St game that we had been watching all year. The uniforms looked familiar, but the players in those uniforms did not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
When all is said and done, the team did exceed expectations for the season by an order of magnitude. I haven't tried to rewatch the game, but one thing I fondly recall in a bittersweet way is that when the chips were down and the "go to" players were looking a bit lost Saniya stepped up like a Senior and made a play, very sweet. Bitter that it didn't play out, but admirable for trying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom