Geno end of game coaching | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno end of game coaching

Reaction Score
I'm confused as to why they were able to advance the ball? She got the rebound and then started dribbling up court.
Like the NBA if she immediately called timeout they could have advanced the ball by rule. Instead Williams dribbled and burned clock.

Reaction Score
Like the NBA if she immediately called timeout they could have advanced the ball by rule. Instead Williams dribbled and burned clock.
I get that they are able to advance it if they get a timeout on the rebound but I thought you couldn't advance it if you started dribbling up court? Not sure why they inbounded it from where they did but it didn't much matter with only .3 seconds.

Reaction Score
I think not fouling is a good move and risk. If you trust your D and rebounding and think you can get ball back with 3-4 seconds and a timeout to advance the ball. Big issue? Williams dribbled the ball before calling a timeout.

i think it was a Risky strategy to try and get a rebound and less than 5 seconds left. But, I actually like playing D there. The strategy worked. They got the rebound with 3.6 seconds left. Just didn’t execute and call the timeout.

Reaction Score
I’ve watched a good amount of their games this year as I wanted to get a look at the freshman class. For me CW can be maddening. When she is off her shots sound like sand bags ricocheting of the rim. It’s hard to watch because she can be so smooth up until the point the ball hits the rim. Geno sticks with her way too long when she is going bad also. However the next game she’ll give you 23 pts. Maddening.

The center Edwards is going to be real good. She fouls like mad though. Will always get at least 1 offensive foul a game.
Their defense was awful tonight..

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, what is the women’s team record in games decided by 5 points or less over the last 10 years? I think that number would surprise some people.
Good point.

Reaction Score
Caught the last 4-5 minutes of their game. For as great of a coach as he is I never really know what he's doing at the end of close games. They happen so infrequently but the times I've seen it the team always looks confused...

Tonight they are down 3 with around 30 seconds Arkansas ball and a little over 3 second difference between game and shot clock. He has them play it out straight up, no first trying to pressure the ball handler trying to trap them and no attempt at a foul. He just lets the girl take the shot clock all the way to the end, UConn gets the rebound off a miss and by the time they call a timeout there's .3 seconds left. I wouldn't play that out in the men's game, there's no way in the women's game they are going to get the ball back with enough time to get it up the court to tie it. Dumbfounding.
Why should his coaching at the end of the game be any different than what he did the previous 39 minutes and 30 seconds? It's like he took the night off or wanted to just let them play to see if anyone would take over and be the leader that so far hasn't emerged.

He seems to be trying to get Paige to be the leader but she's still playing with a team first mentality.................until the latter part of this game at least, and maybe that's the result he was hoping for.

More important to have someone become the leader of a leaderless team than to worry about losing a road game.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He doesn’t care about winning games in the regular season. Halfway through this game it was clear he wanted them to lose.
If you caught the second to last time out when they were down 7, Geno had a cheshire cat grin on his face and seemed very relaxed like he didn't have a worry in the world, whereas Hurley would've been looking like he was trying to escape a panic room where a bomb was about to go off.

I know nothing about Dungee other than she apparently lost 35 lbs after transferring from Oklahoma. I imagine she couldn't defend well in transition like tonight carrying that much extra weight on a 5'11" frame.

Neighbors seems like a good coach. Arkansas would've been a tourney team last year. Geno could use another rival.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I watched the game. I was a little confused by the advancement rules following a timeout. I think Geno wanted CW to get the ball past half court before calling a timeout then she inexplicably stopped right before half court. Still don't understand why Geno just didn't call a timeout after the rebound. It was a very bizarre end of game scenario.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Arkansas is a top 20, veteran team that has played an uninterrupted schedule, always scores a ton and is especially tough at home. The 3rd period was maybe the worst defensive period in Geno’s tenure. Our center was MIA on O against a small team. And we lost by a bucket, with our younger players contributing a lot. It is really hard to go unbeaten. At times, Geno has made it look easier than it is.

The biggest problem with the end of game was the team not being reminded to call immediate TO to get a reasonable chance at a shot without having to go full court. Geno’s close games are far and few between and are pretty much always against really good teams. UConn fans have heart attacks when we only win by 15. Auriemma has kept our medical expenses within reason.

Reaction Score
None of this really matters, with who he has coming, they will win at least 3 straight starting next year. the people on here who said the juniors are disappointing are right. if they held their own as expected, At least be consistent, they could win it all this year too. They arent that far off this year, but the domination starts again next year for sure. He knows it.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think that he was sending a message to the team about their defense. I thought it was strange that he let them play the clock down to 2 seconds and what chance would that really give them. But, he probably was thinking this is just one game during the season, I'm going to make them play defense the entire shot clock, they probably don't deserve to win anyway with the poor defensive effort. I think it was Geno just being Geno which was a teaching lesson and not really about winning a meaningless game. It will benefit them in the long run.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He's lucky he doesn't coach in more close games.
exactly

That's a multi edged sword there.

Yes, I would expect his record in close games to be much "worse" than in blowout games, since it is very rare for UConn to get blown out. Probably 90% of Geno's career losses are by 10 points or less.

Also, since Geno tends to blow out the the bad teams, the only time UConn plays a close game is against higly ranked teams and better opponents. I don't think Geno's winning % would be any where near where it is if he played every game against Top-20 teams.

All that being said, the big picture thought that due to a lack of consistently playing close games, Geno's end of game acumen isn't as sharp as others, has merit.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Does anyone think that he was sending a message to the team about their defense. I thought it was strange that he let them play the clock down to 2 seconds and what chance would that really give them. But, he probably was thinking this is just one game during the season, I'm going to make them play defense the entire shot clock, they probably don't deserve to win anyway with the poor defensive effort. I think it was Geno just being Geno which was a teaching lesson and not really about winning a meaningless game. It will benefit them in the long run.

I thought the defensive message was when he let the Razorbacks do shooting drills in the 3rd quarter by sticking to a zone.

Message was they weren't playing good man to man defense so he has to put them in to a zone. They suck at zone, so they will get blown out. Big picture message is toughen up on man to man or lose more games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's a multi edged sword there.

Yes, I would expect his record in close games to be much "worse" than in blowout games, since it is very rare for UConn to get blown out. Probably 90% of Geno's career losses are by 10 points or less.

Also, since Geno tends to blow out the the bad teams, the only time UConn plays a close game is against higly ranked teams and better opponents. I don't think Geno's winning % would be any where near where it is if he played every game against Top-20 teams.

All that being said, the big picture thought that due to a lack of consistently playing close games, Geno's end of game acumen isn't as sharp as others, has merit.
Yep. I think the hot take "Geno can't coach close games" is funny. Geno loses few games (like 15% lifetime) and when he does it typically isn't by much. I guess one way to view that is the 2nd winningest coach in woman's college basketball doesn't understand the game well enough to be able to coach close games. That's possible, I suppose. Maybe, just maybe though, the guy with most natty's is college basketball is able to coach his teams up so that they can still compete in bad match ups. I'm inclined to think it is the latter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Please move this thread to the Lady Huskies board
Clarification: I liked your post not because I agree with the sentiment, but because I have come to enjoy anticipating and then seeing your silly post on any thread discussing women's basketball. I actually suspect your bugaboo comes from misogyny, whether or not you realize it, and you should get over it. As others have pointed out, you don't clamor to have threads about the NBA or pet insurance moved to other forums.

Reaction Score
Interesting note: "Guard Chelsea Dungee finished with 37 points, the most anyone has scored against the Huskies in 21 years, and was absolutely unstoppable."

Reaction Score
Clarification: I liked your post not because I agree with the sentiment, but because I have come to enjoy anticipating and then seeing your silly post on any thread discussing women's basketball. I actually suspect your bugaboo comes from misogyny, whether or not you realize it, and you should get over it. As others have pointed out, you don't clamor to have threads about the NBA or pet insurance moved to other forums.

Suspect whatever you want. You sound like one of those nagging housewives.

Reaction Score
She was fantastic. And despite the loss, watching her and Paige go at it in the fourth was great basketball

Arkansas has a really good team. Ramirez was something too. If that’s how they play in the tournament, they’ll be hard to beat.

But Paige man..we haven’t had guards that can pass like her since Bird and Taurasi. And tbh, she’s the first player I’ve seen that I think has the potential to take GOAT status away from Taurasi.

Reaction Score
She was fantastic. And despite the loss, watching her and Paige go at it in the fourth was great basketball

Arkansas has a really good team. Ramirez was something too. If that’s how they play in the tournament, they’ll be hard to beat.

But Paige man..we haven’t had guards that can pass like her since Bird and Taurasi. And tbh, she’s the first player I’ve seen that I think has the potential to take GOAT status away from Taurasi.
Ramirez had 2 points in her last outing so this was her makeup game.

Reaction Score
The 11-0 run by Arkansas to start the second half went on way too long considering he had just coached the team up in the locker room. I could see a timeout in the future on the second made basket. That run had us chasing the rest of the second half. The coach allowed it to happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom