Geno end of game coaching | The Boneyard

Geno end of game coaching

Reaction Score
Caught the last 4-5 minutes of their game. For as great of a coach as he is I never really know what he's doing at the end of close games. They happen so infrequently but the times I've seen it the team always looks confused...

Tonight they are down 3 with around 30 seconds Arkansas ball and a little over 3 second difference between game and shot clock. He has them play it out straight up, no first trying to pressure the ball handler trying to trap them and no attempt at a foul. He just lets the girl take the shot clock all the way to the end, UConn gets the rebound off a miss and by the time they call a timeout there's .3 seconds left. I wouldn't play that out in the men's game, there's no way in the women's game they are going to get the ball back with enough time to get it up the court to tie it. Dumbfounding.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Wow. It's amazing that people with literally zero relative experience around here feel confident criticizing Hurley for his in game coaching. But Geno. C'mon, seriously? You know better?

Reaction Score
Caught the last 4-5 minutes of their game. For as great of a coach as he is I never really know what he's doing at the end of close games. They happen so infrequently but the times I've seen it the team always looks confused...

Tonight they are down 3 with around 30 seconds Arkansas ball and a little over 3 second difference between game and shot clock. He has them play it out straight up, no first trying to pressure the ball handler trying to trap them and no attempt at a foul. He just lets the girl take the shot clock all the way to the end, UConn gets the rebound off a miss and by the time they call a timeout there's .3 seconds left. I wouldn't play that out in the men's game, there's no way in the women's game they are going to get the ball back with enough time to get it up the court to tie it. Dumbfounding.

He's lucky he doesn't coach in more close games.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

That’s gotta be on the player for being that clueless.

His d did get a shot clock violation that was laughably ignored despite video evidence.

He was calling fir a timeout and somehow was ignored the entire time.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
He doesn’t care about winning games in the regular season. Halfway through this game it was clear he wanted them to lose.
I didn't watch, but this is interesting. Tell us more.

Reaction Score
If we got the timeout immediately we would have had 3-4 seconds from the frontcourt (in the women's game you can advance it).

Christyn Williams ____ed it up.

Reaction Score
If we got the timeout immediately we would have had 3-4 seconds from the frontcourt (in the women's game you can advance it).

Christyn Williams ____ed it up.

She and Nelson-Ododa are on another planet. No leadership from those juniors. No steadiness in their games. Good news is Westbrook and the freshmen seem to at least be competitive and have "it".

I don't know. Geno sorta looks like Summitt was at the end of her career. Winning because she had a roster of top recruits but getting outworked by younger hungrier coaches and programs in the big moments. It took Candace Parker for her to get a couple more titles at the end after a long drought.

Reaction Score
That’s gotta be on the player for being that clueless.

His d did get a shot clock violation that was laughably ignored despite video evidence.

He was calling fir a timeout and somehow was ignored the entire time.
There was no D, he let the girl do exactly what she wanted. Could have called a foul, should have called it still on her fingertips but it was just horrendous strategy. If Hurley pulled what Geno pulled at the end of the game it would be a bloodbath here.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Watched the whole game and Geno's unique rotation relative to the rest of the season's rotations got them back in and he handled that last minute perfectly. Williams calls timeout on the rebound and they advance the ball and get the chance to tie with 3 seconds.

Reaction Score
She and Nelson-Ododa are on another planet. No leadership from those juniors. No steadiness in their games. Good news is Westbrook and the freshmen seem to at least be competitive and have "it".

I don't know. Geno sorta looks like Summitt was at the end of her career. Winning because she had a roster of top recruits but getting outworked by younger hungrier coaches and programs in the big moments. It took Candace Parker for her to get a couple more titles at the end after a long drought.
Nelson-Ododa and Williams are Charmin soft.

Bueckers is the real deal, and Westbrook is a good Robin to her Batman, but the other upperclassmen are just an albatross right now.

Aaliyah Edwards needs more experience, but actually has the toughness you look for in a big.

Softness, lack of moxie, whatever you want to call it, has been a big problem on Geno's squad the last several years. I think it comes back to the perfectionism and how he recruits for coachability. Unfortunately, the flip side of getting players with that kind of personality is there's no alpha, nobody willing to take over a game, nobody who punches back when they get punched in the mouth.

Bueckers has it, there are more coming in, but he just needs to move on from the the ones who have been here a while.

Reaction Score
They lose no one this year and have the second best class with Azzi coming. ;)

Reaction Score
There's maybe a baker's dozen of decent teams in women's basketball.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch, but this is interesting. Tell us more.
He uses the regular season for growth, and doesn’t mind losses if it’ll help. It’s not that he wants to lose, but he won’t actively try to strategize and tries to make the team figure it out. Wcbb isn’t like Mcbb. UConn is fighting for a high seed, not for making the tournament. It doesn’t really matter, and sometimes a loss makes the team pay attention to him more. (And listen to what he says)

biggest sign he’s trying to prove a point to his team is when the five guard lineup makes an appearance. We saw this about five minutes into the second half. He also had four freshman in to make a point to the upper classmen.

In this case..he wanted to make it clear the team needs an effective post player and that Paige needs to shoot, and defensive effort matters. My guess is ONO knows she has a lot to work on, Edwards needs to avoid fouls, and Paige (who was fantastic in the second half), knows in big games she needs to be aggressive.

this type of game is Geno going “see, I’m right.” And because it’s wcbb, there isn’t much punishment to losing a game or two.

Reaction Score
I agree Geno has not been great late in close games. But as someone above pointed out because the women can advance the ball I don’t think it was necessarily a no brainer.
I'm confused as to why they were able to advance the ball? She got the rebound and then started dribbling up court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom